Need a coffee brand suggetions

anilpatel

Hi FM,

Please suggest me a good coffee brand that you are currently using.
At present, I am using Nescafe Classic Coffee.

Please also suggest me where I can buy online.

Thanks and Regards
Anil

There are a number of freeze dried coffee options on amazon. The ones I like are Nescafe Gold and Continental Black Edition. Davidoff also has some good options

Hi,
If you are asking for instant coffee options, many would consider that, in audio terminology, entry level. If you are keen about experiencing true coffee flavour, you could try stepping up in the following sequence:
1. Ground coffee powder mixed with chicory.
2. Ground pure arabica sans chicory
3. Whole beans roasted not more than a week earlier, ground at home on a masala grinder
4. Same as 3 above, but using a burr grinder
Depending on taste and convenience, you can use a variety of brewing equipment including South Indian filter, coffee making machine, French press, aeropress, stove top moka pot, etc.
Apart from Blue Tokai mentioned above, there are less expensive options to source coffee, whether ground or whole beans, e.g. Cothas coffee, among others, that will come up in a web search. Then there are international, very expensive, coffees like Columbian, Venezuelan, Costs Rican, etc.

It's a journey like in audio. Best wishes.

Hi Anil, not instant coffee but this setup below is a poor mans fresh filter coffee setup

Use this grinder ( burr grinder but manual grinding)

Use these beans from blu Tokai ( buy it locally from blue tokai, koramangala) this roast level is for filter coffee

Use this Chicory powder in a ratio of 15% to 75% of coffee powder ( sometimes, generally it's only coffee powder)

to filter the decoction use something like this

Not an expensive coffee connoisseur here, but I love my filter coffee. I have tried the following in the past (and some of them continue)
  1. Dark Forest
  2. Cafe Coffee Day has these small outlets (in Hyderabad at least) where they grind it before your eyes and sell by weight
  3. Bru (stopped)
  4. Tata Coffee

I have strong opinions about coffee. Read them at your own risk.

1. Instant coffee is not coffee. It's a coffee like flavored drink.
2. Chicory ruins coffee.
3. Only 100% Arabica. Robusta is not coffee.
4. Coffee should be like your woman's heart. Dark and bitter. Milk and sugar ruins it.
5. Beans must be ground fresh and consumed same day.
6. 15 bar espresso machine is must. But mokka pot/ French press/ aeropress is also ok, for a different type of taste.

To answer your questions, Blue Tokai, IKEA house brands are good. Starbucks is same thing for more money.
Never grind coffee beans in a normal mixie. A burr grinder is a worthwhile investment.
If you must buy instant, get Nescafe Gold region specials like Cap Columbi or Alta Rica. Davidoff is also not bad. Amazon sells them much cheaper.

I have strong opinions about coffee. Read them at your own risk.

1. Instant coffee is not coffee. It's a coffee like flavored drink.
2. Chicory ruins coffee.
3. Only 100% Arabica. Robusta is not coffee.
4. Coffee should be like your woman's heart. Dark and bitter. Milk and sugar ruins it.
5. Beans must be ground fresh and consumed same day.
6. 15 bar espresso machine is must. But mokka pot/ French press/ aeropress is also ok, for a different type of taste.

To answer your questions, Blue Tokai, IKEA house brands are good. Starbucks is same thing for more money.
Never grind coffee beans in a normal mixie. A burr grinder is a worthwhile investment.
If you must buy instant, get Nescafe Gold region specials like Cap Columbi or Alta Rica. Davidoff is also not bad. Amazon sells them much cheaper.
Point 3 is not correct as robusta is also coffee, its cheaper than Arabiaca and used worldwide to add favor and mix with Arabiaca. Point 4 depends on personal taste. Point 6 is incorrect, it needs 9 bar pressure to make espresso any machine claiming to have 10 or more bar pressure won't make it any better than a decent 9 bar machine.
Try Home blend coffee beans/ grinded coffee available on amazon, they are great.
After audio and Gin and tonic, I love coffee and own a Delonghi Super Automatic machine and it makes fantastic espresso as well as lattes.

Point 3 is not correct as robusta is also coffee, its cheaper than Arabiaca and used worldwide to add favor and mix with Arabiaca. Point 4 depends on personal taste. Point 6 is incorrect, it needs 9 bar pressure to make espresso any machine claiming to have 10 or more bar pressure won't make it any better than a decent 9 bar machine.
Try Home blend coffee beans/ grinded coffee available on amazon, they are great.
After audio and Gin and tonic, I love coffee and own a Delonghi Super Automatic machine and it makes fantastic espresso as well as lattes.
I already had a disclaimer :cool:

Most of my coffee beans are from Ethiopia. Either Sidamo beans or Yirgacheffe. A popular brand called Robera. Sometimes I blend the two at home. Unfortunately now with travel stopped its difficult to get them.
Technically Robusta is coffee. But it is a matter of taste like SS vs tube amp.
15 bar headroom helps with the machine. I use Saeco 15 bar, but the auto tamping portafilter is modified so that I can tamp as per my mood and taste. Automated machines don't work for me as I want full manual control, right from grinding size of the beans.

Last edited:
I already had a disclaimer :cool:

Most of my coffee beans are from Ethiopia. Either Sidamo beans or Yirgacheffe. A popular brand called Robera. Sometimes I blend the two at home. Unfortunately now with travel stopped its difficult to get them.
Technically Robusta is coffee. But it is a matter of taste like SS vs tube amp.
15 bar headroom helps with the machine. I use Saeco 15 bar, but the auto tamping portafilter is modified so that I can tamp as per my mood and taste. Automated machines don't work for me as I want full manual control, right from grinding size of the beans.
Yeah manual is heaven but too much effort needed to get a Cuppa heaven early in the morning, so not my cup of coffee! We can control the grind size in Automatic too but not to the level of with electric grinders.

Like in things audio, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying coffee and having tried a lot of brands these are the ones that stand out:

1. The Malnad [3 variants available]
1.1. Pure [No chicory]​
1.2. Double Special [10% chicory] - I like this a lot and it has become a staple at my home.
1.3 They had another variant but can't see it on Amazon now [I think it has 15% or 20% chicory]​

2. Mysore Concerns

Even though I consider chicory a contaminant, I'm of the opinion that a little [not more than 10%] chicory elevates the flavor of coffee.

Last edited:
Key variables are grind size and tamping pressure. Manual grind is really painful and beyond me. Now Baratza grinder available in Amazon is quite good.
I didn't know that Dark Forest beans are still available. Those were my first foray into serious coffee. Wonderful beans.
If one is OK with robusta blend, then Lavazza Crema Gusto is a good choice.

Like in things audio, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying coffee and having tried a lot of brands these are the ones that stand out:

1. The Malnad [3 variants available]
1.1. Pure [No chicory]​
1.2. Double Special [10% chicory] - I like this a lot and it has become a staple at my home.
1.3 They had another variant but can't see it on Amazon now [I think it has 15% or 20% chicory]​

2. Mysore Concerns

Even though I consider chicory a contaminant, I'm of the opinion that a little [not more than 10%] chicory elevates the flavor of coffee.

I'm a fellow cheapskate and my choice of coffee is something called Continental Malgudi. It's available in two options - 80:20 Coffee Chicory and 60:40.

Have also tasted some good coffee on a visit to Yercaud - Cauvery Peak. Also available on Amazon.

I use both a French press and a Indian 'percolator' and the results are quite good

Will also agree with another posters comment that instant is NOT coffee !!

Not much into coffee, but the best coffee I ever had was 'Halliberri' at the Chikmagalur coffee estate where it's grown. I would visit their homestay again just for the coffee and it's complimentary :).

Good question as its a big market now.I have tried various brands across including branded very expensive ones..Finally I got a better one from our country itself without breaking my pocket.Its panduranga coffee brand from Chikmagalur. I got reference from a food blogger named Kripal amanna. For the last 6 months I am using the same brand.They have online site just try it out.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back