Need a matching amplifier for my custom build speaker pair.

sgmuser

Hello all,
I have been visiting hifi vision for quiet some time, just joined.

I am newbie DIYer and just bought this kit :

Currently, I am constructing the cabinet with MDF boards. I will upload some pics soon. This weekend, I will be assembling the electronics/cross overs.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...a5.3-mtm-pair/

Zaph|Audio - ZA5 Speaker Designs with ZA14W08 woofer and Vifa DQ25SC16-04 tweeter

http://zaphaudio.com/ZA14W08/ZA14W08-datasheet.pdf

I am trying to figure out a matching amplifier with 75% focus on Sound Quality (40% Mid + 35% High and 25% Low, is the priority I usually like in sound).

Datasheet says, the wattage 60w continuous 8ohm, and in this range. So, please advice, whether I am reading the figures correctly. If I want the best quality sound from the MTM I am currently, building, should I stick to 60W max for the amp or can I go a bit higher say 80w 8ohm?

Please enlighten.

I am looking at Marantz 6004 price range. I am open to Yamaha, Denon and few others as well. I believe usually Japanese brands should give better reliability and support and their components and QC are of longer reliability, to my perception!

I liked NAD 316/326, but, reading some issues related to reliabilities. Rega/Rotel/Musical Fidelity, I am not really sure about their reliability/support, in case of problems. Btw, I am residing currently in Muscat, Oman.

I might be getting a Logitech Squeezebox (or equivalent, since this is being discontinued! Any recommendations? or Network Receiver?), and source will be mostly PC based music/video storage or streaming. So, I am not really planning to put too much money on a CD Player, rather, may be a network receiver or equivalent, but, that is later. I also would like to watch HD Music Video contents (downloaded)/recorded shows a lot through a HD Media Player (I have AC Ryan with SPDIF). I also like to connect these system to for TV output (HD Satellite receiver) so that, I can watch those HD TV shows/concerts/video songs.

Please also advice, whether I can bring in AV Receivers (Denon AVR) into this comparison, since, I want Quality Sound (Jazz/Classical/Rock/Reggae/Indian (mostly Tamil and Hindi)). My believe is there is a significant amount sound quality degrade if it is AV Receiver. Am I correct in this?

If it is AVR, I am inclined towards Yamaha/Denons, but the outputs are higher than the Zaph recommendations (60 watt 8ohm as per datasheet). Btw, I am NOT planning for a surround system though.

Lastly, the room is a approx 15ft x 15ft size.

Regards
Sgmuser

ZA5 Data :
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Thermal power handling 60 W continuous
Free air resonance 65 10 Hz
Sensitivity 87 2 dB/W/M, 2.83 V

PARAMETERS
DC resistance Re: 7.1 (ohms)
Resonance frequency Fs: 65.835 (Hz)
Maximum impedance Zm: 32 (ohms)
Mechanical Q factor Qms: 2.1318
Electrical Q factor Qes: 0.5584
Total Q factor Qts: 0.4425
Equivalent volume Vas: 5.23 (l)
Moving mass Mms: 7.200 (g)
Sensitivity SPL: 87 (dB)
BL product Bl: 6.154
Effective radiating diameter D: 95 (mm)
Effective radiating area Sd: 68 (cm^2)
Voice Coil Inductance Le(1K): 0.37 (mH)
Linear Displacement Xmax: 3.25 (mm) (one way)

sgmuser, Almost all of the entry level AVRs from the regular brands have very optimistic specs, esp when it comes to wattage! Anyway, since you have no plans to build an HT/surround system, you might be better off sticking to a stereo integrated amp. Why not the Yamaha as-500?

Thanks for the inputs! As I mentioned, I will be using cable box, HD Player (hdmi), even planning for one of those small Android Box with HDMI output for this setup. My understanding is that, AVR comes with HDMI input, where the Audio can be processed by the AVR. With IAs, I will not be able to do this, since they do not have HDMI ins. Only Stereo ins. Enlighten me. By looking around, IAs generally lacks (Marantz, I was looking at) some nice features. Nowadays, these AV companies, target the mass market more than audio/stereophiles :-( Thus less features. Lastly, once I get some more budget allocation from Finance Ministry and approval from Internal Affairs Ministry :-D not sure when, I will go for some in wall setup for the rear speakers (there are some good ML offer I saw for 300USD for a pair). But not so soon. So, I am fixed at AVR (for now!?)

If you need HDMI audio decoding then AVR is the way to go. You should look at offerings from Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Nad and the likes. I do not know what your budget is, but if it is limited, try the Marantz nr1601 types.

Hi, iAudio, Thanks for the answers.

I am inclined towards Marantz, looked at NR1603 and almost bought it. I am also impressed with their Networking capabilities. But, someone suggested to go for Denon range of AVR's since they are discrete amps and better suited for my expectations (Sound Quality).

Thats why, I am confused. I can go up 40k max, if it is worth.

I prefer Marantz/Denon - hoping that their reliability is far better than Onkyo, eventhough Onkyo's performance seems to be better in reviews, wherever, I read.

NAD - same reliability issues, I read.

Yamaha - May be a value for money package, but, performance and quality - not sure! Need some advice.

Rega/Rotel - Never had any encouter with these.

HK- I did audition once with JBL, but I do not like them.

I would pick the Marantz AVR over Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo.
As for reliability, I have an Onkyo AVR for the last 3.5 years and I have not had issues.
Someone recommending a budget denon avr over a budget marantz avr for music is quite rare, though I guess there may be valid technical reasons for that. But when I auditioned I found the Marantz better for music. I have not had the chance to check out AVRs from CA, NAD but hear they are quite capable.

Since your speakers are already DIY, how about a DIY amp as well? My bet would be on a Class D Audio module with a beefy power supply or a Hypex ncore module with the SMPS if you can spend that much...

+1 to that. There are many group buy/build threads here. Or you could get one from overseas( I mean the kit). But if hdmi decoding comes into the picture, then all this is not valid.
Maybe you could use an emotiva pre processor with a 2 channel power amp.

Yes, you read my mind. I did some research, since, I wanted some features, which may not be possible in DIY route, then, I left it for now. But, I will try to do some thing, next.

Meanwhile, now it is again Denon AVR 1912 or 1913 or Marantz NR1603 now. Please suggest, I do not want to confuse on the options atleast by including more brands.

+1 to that. There are many group buy/build threads here. Or you could get one from overseas( I mean the kit). But if hdmi decoding comes into the picture, then all this is not valid.
Maybe you could use an emotiva pre processor with a 2 channel power amp.

...I did some research, since, I wanted some features, which may not be possible in DIY route, then, I left it for now. But, I will try to do some thing, next...

Apologies if this borders on OT, but would you like to elaborate a bit on what features you found impossible to implement in a DIY build?

Apologies if this borders on OT, but would you like to elaborate a bit on what features you found impossible to implement in a DIY build?

For ex. HDMI source audio decoding could be uphill task for a newbie like me! Here I am not just looking for an amp. but a bit more niceties! Since, things in music/hifi leaning towards digital sources (sorry pure music lovers, but, this is my humble observation, and personaly, I also do not like this as well!), it is nice to have features to consume these digital sources in one device. An 100RMS receiver for playing Internet Radio streams of 64-128kbps? I just couldn't accept it, but, we need to accept it and move on.

Last edited:
Fella Audiophiles, I need to confirm this soon. NR1603 or Denon 16xx or 19xx.

Please give some affirmative guidance whether it will be a big issue if drive the 8ohm 60watts continuous drivers with these AVRs.

AVR-1612 (75 watts x 5.1 channels)
AVR-1912/3 (90 watts x 7.1 channels)

NR1603 do not have issue as it is 50watt.

Also, would be interesting to know how much difference it will make in terms of Sound Quality with 50watt and 90watt will make!? Please throw some lights friends.

sgmuser, if you could get a home audition you would know that the watt figures dont really translate that well in reality.
I still remember my Onkyo 506 had to be pushed hard to get the same level that a Pioneer integrated got about with barely turning the volume dial! And the AVR claimed more than double the wattage!
The Marantz nr series output figures, I feel, are quite honest.

Edit: There is no harm in going for a high power amplifier( something that has a output greater than your speakers continuous power rating,)Just dont turn it on with the volume dial turned to maximum ;)

Last edited:
NAD - same reliability issues, I read.

I have been using NAD for many years now and had recently bought an integrated amp from NAD itself. I have had no problems ever with their amplifiers and I can say the same for a few friends too who have been using NAD for quite sometime.

I dont know about NAD AVRs but I do know lots of NAD integrated amp users who are highly satisfied with long term reliability.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back