Need advice for 32" LCD TV - first time buyer

quadmaniac

Hello all,
This is my first post on hifivision :). I am a somewhat n00b when it comes to HDTVs, and would like your suggestion and valuable inputs. I have a trusty 7-yr old 21" Samsung CRT (that still works wonderfully) which I have been satisfied with. However, I recently went for Videocon D2H HD DTH, and am looking to upgrade my CRT to a 32 incher LCD/LED. I'd also want to hook up the TV to my Ainol V7000HDA media player (it's a pretty nice but Chinese media player .. :eek:hyeah:, so please ignore if you've never heard of it), or buy a new Asus O'Play Mini to play my movie collection (mostly SD, max upto 720p, some 1080p clips).

I went to Inorbit (Hyderabad) to check out some LCD tv's, and here are my observations. Please note that my budget is strictly around 20-25k. I *can* stretch till 30k, but I'd really like to stay within 25k since I've seen some decent models within that as well.

First off, from what content was playing (sales guy said it's a blue-ray disc), I could not make out any difference between FHD and non-FHD panels. Does this mean that buying a 32" FHD makes no sense over an HD ready model ? (my viewing distance is 10 feet usually) Also, since I couldn't really see any SD cable channels - I'm confused how things would look on HD vs FHD.

Second, I really wasn't able to see much difference between LED and LCD TVs. Is it really worth paying the extra 5k+ for LED?

Finally, I really liked some TVs - please check my list below and let me know if I'm making the right choice :) ... Overall, I've noticed that Toshiba TVs and Panasonic TVs are pure VFM. And I loved the viewing angles of the Panasonic Viera line as well (178 degrees) - this matters to me in my current home setup.

1. Toshiba PB1 - liked the PQ on this, sells for 21k at Inorbit, I'm sure I can get it for less elsewhere (~17-18k). It seems this TV doesn't play much video from USB - a bit of a downer for me

2. Panny Viera HD LCD TH-L32C3D - sells for 24.3k at Flipkart: Panasonic 32 Inches HD LCD TH-L32C3D: Television

I'm impressed with the PQ of the Panasonics, there are several at Viera : Buy in India @ Flipkart.com - I'm confused regarding the difference between them. Starts at just 22k upto 30k for 32" - confused regarding which is good.

My requirements in summary are:

1. Decent PQ in both HD (1080i) and SD channels, and blue ray/SD/HD movie rips (upto 1080p)
2. Ability to play files from USB - most formats.
3. Decent viewing angles (viera line seems to be king here)
4. Decent sound (don't need thundering bass, might add speakers later)

Finally, does anyone know good stores for best deals on LCDs? Too many questions for the first post, thanks in advance for your answers dear experts :)

Oh .. and btw, merry christmas to everyone!

~Raj

Hi Raj,

Buy Toshiba LCD tv and buy a good dvd player with USB option, so it can play any formats and hence your requirement is met and its VFM, i personally dont like any usb hdd or player to hook upto the tv, it may reduce the life of the tv for some reason.

Cheers
Bala

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back