Need advice for Atmos speakers (I already have a 7.1 Polk setup)

srinivas1015

My current setup is:

Marantz Sr6011

7.1 Polk Setup:
Polk TSi300 for Fronts, Sides, Rears
Polk Cs20 for Center
Polk DSW550 Subwoofer

I want to add two Atmos speakers and hang them on the walls above the side speakers. The Marantz can power 9 speakers and I don't want to get an Amp right now, so just two Atmos speakers will have to do. I want to place them above the sides as I feel I'll notice the effect more than placing them in the front.

Any recommendations for speakers? I'm thinking something from Polk so that there's proper timber-matching.

Don't think Polk has got dedicated Atmos speakers. Owm3 can do the duties.

Else you can look at elac debut a4

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

My current setup is:

Marantz Sr6011

7.1 Polk Setup:

Polk TSi300 for Fronts, Sides, Rears

Polk Cs20 for Center

Polk DSW550 Subwoofer

I want to add two Atmos speakers and hang them on the walls above the side speakers. The Marantz can power 9 speakers and I don't want to get an Amp right now, so just two Atmos speakers will have to do. I want to place them above the sides as I feel I'll notice the effect more than placing them in the front.

Any recommendations for speakers? I'm thinking something from Polk so that there's proper timber-matching.

I remember Polk has a in ceiling speakers ,better try for that .In case if u r planing for 7.1.2 setups ,place ur inceiling speakers ( 2 nos)90 degree above the listening position on left and right side .u will have good effects. (If u don't have false ceiling ,u may need to make some wooden box using carpenter for placing the inceiling speakers directly) . In case if inceiling model is not available,go for owm3 model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't put the speakers in the ceiling. I'll be putting them on the side walls.

I was thinking about Polk s10. Thoughts on this? Is this overkill?

Just out of curiosity, how big is your room?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

If wall mounting, You could try SONODYNE Sonus 3540 - i think it comes with a wall bracket and they are angled at like 45 degrees so the sound would be focussed towards the seating position.

Polk OWM series speakers are very versatile and it can be used practically for any purpose. Having 7 types of mounting styles, it can be placed anywhere and which ever way possible. Looking at the specs it does a pretty good job for a non-main & non-centre channels application. Basically one of the best for surrounds, heights, atmos, etc. Even the bigger brother the OWM5 is very promising and will do a great job as a atmos setup. I really liked the specs and the look as well, and more over it will blend well with Polk speakers. As I too own Polks I surely recommend these and would love to add these for my atmos as well as surrounds.

Do look at the OWM5 instead of the OWM3. The 5's will give more range and the sensitivity is much higher compared to it's smaller one.

HI,

I was just wondering if I can add ATMOS speakers to my Denon AVR X-2000 which is 7.1 receiver. Now I use two front towers, two surrounds, one center and a sub-woofer all of Wharfedlaes diamond series (10.6). And yes, this receiver is NOT DOLBY ATMOS ENABLED.

Last edited:
HI,

I was just wondering if I can add ATMOS speakers to my Denon AVR X-2000 which is 7.1 receiver. Now I use two front towers, two surrounds, one center and a sub-woofer all of Wharfedlaes diamond series (10.6).

Sorry to say but the X-2000 does not decode Atmos/DTS-X. It surely does TrueHD & DTSHD-MA and supports 7.1 channels. As you're already using 5.1, you can add another 2 channels as 'Surround Back' and enjoy more spatial sound with more detail.

OWM3 offers more versatile positioning (tilting, etc)

But apart from the positioning advantage, would there be any difference in sound quality when coming the OWM and the S10? The specs seem similar on paper.

Polk OWM series speakers are very versatile and it can be used practically for any purpose. Having 7 types of mounting styles, it can be placed anywhere and which ever way possible. Looking at the specs it does a pretty good job for a non-main & non-centre channels application. Basically one of the best for surrounds, heights, atmos, etc. Even the bigger brother the OWM5 is very promising and will do a great job as a atmos setup. I really liked the specs and the look as well, and more over it will blend well with Polk speakers. As I too own Polks I surely recommend these and would love to add these for my atmos as well as surrounds.

Do look at the OWM5 instead of the OWM3. The 5's will give more range and the sensitivity is much higher compared to it's smaller one.

How does the sound of the OWM compare to the TSi? I'm so used to its quality that I'm a little afraid of the OWM not living up to my towers. I hope that they don't sound 'tinny'? I really like how powerful the TSi speakers sound.

My Tsi300 goes up to only 22 kHz, so would the OWM5 which goes up to 44 kHz be distracting?

Comparing the OWM3 and the OWM5, it seems that the range is a lot more and the difference in sensitivity is 89 db vs 91 db. Would you say that despite the specs on paper, there's an increase in performance? Like less distortion, etc?

As for positioning, I plan to put them like this:

44437.jpg

Would you recommend aiming it towards the listening area or towards the ceiling so that it can bounce off of it?

I want to place them above the sides as I feel I'll notice the effect more than placing them in the front.

Not sure if placing on the sides (I think above your surround speakers) is an ideal location.. Best would be front heights..

What are your room dimensions ?

If you already have Polk, then best to pick speakers from the same series..

Not sure if placing on the sides (I think above your surround speakers) is an ideal location.. Best would be front heights..

What are your room dimensions ?

If you already have Polk, then best to pick speakers from the same series..

I figured I wouldn't notice the distinction that much between the fronts and the front heights, but the heights would be more clear when at the side.

Dimensions:

Width of the room is 12 ft. Length is 25 ft.

Seating position is 14ft away from a 140 inch screen (10 feet wide).

I figured I wouldn't notice the distinction that much between the fronts and the front heights, but the heights would be more clear when at the side.

Have you experienced front heights before?

If you are having to the sides, hope you would be tilting the speakers towards you..

Dimensions:
Width of the room is 12 ft. Length is 25 ft.

Seating position is 14ft away from a 140 inch screen (10 feet wide).

If you have front heights, the entire length of the room would benefit from it than having it to the side, which has a shorter coverage..

srinivas736657 said:
How does the sound of the OWM compare to the TSi? I'm so used to its quality that I'm a little afraid of the OWM not living up to my towers. I hope that they don't sound 'tinny'? I really like how powerful the TSi speakers sound.

My Tsi300 goes up to only 22 kHz, so would the OWM5 which goes up to 44 kHz be distracting?

Comparing the OWM3 and the OWM5, it seems that the range is a lot more and the difference in sensitivity is 89 db vs 91 db. Would you say that despite the specs on paper, there's an increase in performance? Like less distortion, etc?

As for positioning, I plan to put them like this:

44437.jpg

Would you recommend aiming it towards the listening area or towards the ceiling so that it can bounce off of it?

I think OWM5 is much better compared to OWM3 as it has much wider frequency range and better sensitivity. The range of human ear can only listen between 20-20000Hz, so anything below or higher is not heard. Any speaker with higher range will not be distracting, its just it will be more detailed imo.

As for positioning, aiming directly to listening area is preferable compared to bouncing off ceilings. And this speaker is made for such applications, and can be placed in a similar way as shown in the picture.
Well, you should have an audition before you commit to those.

Last edited:
Can atmos speakers be put on top of bookshelves? Any suggestions? I see the Elac debut A4 can.

I am also in search of front Atmos speakers and found two best possible options are as
1. Polk OWM 5
2. Def Tech GEM XL
Both can be wall mounted and can be tilted . Both will not distract and can work flowless as Atmos speakers. Both will have wider sound field. Have audition Polk and waiting for Def Tech audition. Happy with Polk but will decide only after audition of Def Tech.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Can atmos speakers be put on top of bookshelves? Any suggestions? I see the Elac debut A4 can.

Certainly it can be placed as Atmos setup, but will best suit with the ELAC range of bookshelves & floorstanders, as the sound signature may not match with other brand of speakers and the shape of the base of the speakers may not perfectly fit on top of other fronts.

I am also in search of front Atmos speakers and found two best possible options are as
1. Polk OWM 5
2. Def Tech GEM XL
Both can be wall mounted and can be tilted . Both will not distract and can work flowless as Atmos speakers. Both will have wider sound field. Have audition Polk and waiting for Def Tech audition. Happy with Polk but will decide only after audition of Def Tech.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

That's really nice to know that you've auditioned the Polks, do give in your opinion on the defs as well, it will help many of us here.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back