Need advice for buying accuphase

Many people in the US have bought from this site and seem happy with their purchase...however if you want second hand, you may want to buy from Japanese websites directly such as audiounion.jp and there are a number of sellers on rakuten.jp as well but you will have to ask them if they ship to India...

The big issue with these units is that they are 100v (Japanese spec). Accuphase pricing for the local market is very different compared to export markets but they don't offer any support if the product has been voltage converted.

Pricing in markets like the US is much higher than Japan and pricing in India will be higher still. Eg, the DP400 CD player is listed at US$4k. This is an older model but the current model (DP-410) is over Rs4l in India (US$7k).

Last edited:
Thanks for providing the direction

My posted website link in the thread, when opened for a particular product
shows up that they have voltage converter along with product for use

If i could get one of these converter(hopefully) & a e350 from japanese site, then i guess i can have a product under warranty(if the product is under warranty) & my recent search points that the earlier model 50's than 60's are not much different. I found one in ebay Accuphase e-250 at 2365 euros which comes to 1.97L including insured shipping

Should i go ahead...i have a very little knowledge regarding importing things...though i searched & found articles ...but didnt really get a clear picture of what to do after what

If i could get one of these converter(hopefully) & a e350 from japanese site, then i guess i can have a product under warranty(if the product is under warranty) & my recent search points that the earlier model 50's than 60's are not much different. I found one in ebay Accuphase e-250 at 2365 euros which comes to 1.97L including insured shipping

To claim warranty, you will need to send the unit back to Japan.
Also, while calculating import prices, keep in mind the customs duty to be paid.

Personally, I would not take a risk on an ebay purchase and import for such value.

If you are shopping for amplification at the Rs2l+ budget, there are enough and more options available in India.

Just found another message for seller in ebay who was convinced with my quotation & also he provided 6 months warranty as already quoted with that product. is there any chance of repairing such a nice product in india if any repair issue pop's up as i have to pay shipping charges for the product if i have to get it repaired from him.

And moreover im also doubting, what if the internal parts has been changed to a normal grade from industrial grade & is being used so. In counter, my thoughts are also adding that if the seller has such more products why would he do so ?. Really confused

If you are shopping for amplification at the Rs2l+ budget, there are enough and more options available in India.

Agree with your idea. But will that sonically be as good as Accuphase. I do understand that it has its unique sound signature & others have their own. As per reviews of many peoples they have considered it better than many other high brands, i really don't have the idea what is good for as i never heard it. Experience people may shed some light in this issue

at the price range - better audition and buy.

mehsana - Delhi - Mehsana can be done quick and you can listen to the Accuphase too..

But please focus on the chain and not the amplifier alone.

As you come up the ladder....the taste can be come quite sterile and revealing - which may not be to everyone's liking.

So listen carefully before you buy..

I am not a fan of these voltage converters at all.

At these stratospheric levels.. source & cabling and the room acoustics is very important also.

mpw

Agree with your idea. But will that sonically be as good as Accuphase. I do understand that it has its unique sound signature & others have their own. As per reviews of many peoples they have considered it better than many other high brands, i really don't have the idea what is good for as i never heard it. Experience people may shed some light in this issue

Its a matter of preference. Accuphase makes good amps but whether it will suit your tastes and system is something only an audition can determine.

With amps in particular, speaker synergy is critical. I really like Accuphase amps but would never use one with my current speakers (Rethm Saadhanas).

Have you actually heard and Accuphase amp with your speakers? If not, I'd suggest you do so before spending that kind of money

But please focus on the chain and not the amplifier alone.
mpw

Rightly pointed. My chain at present is totally build up with entry level amps & speakers. The sound is not upto my liking though initially i liked it.But now i could able to find distortion in voice, not so good sound stage, separation of instruments as i heard it once at Mumbai Show room. Since then i tried to figure out the loop hole in my setup & found really nothing as setup is not up to that mark.

I'm building up my system one by one like a decent buy once in an year.Hope in few years i could have the system i wanted. i started with amplifier as i heard rave reviews about my speaker but marginal reviews about amy amp. i just want to listen to my system with changed amp. I may get satisfied with that & may don't find a need of upgrade

Have you actually heard and Accuphase amp with your speakers? If not, I'd suggest you do so before spending that kind of money

No, i have not heard any accuphase amp before.I guess the only way i can hear is to visit some FM's home.Guess i have to do an auditioning with my BS. I will fix an appointment & do that.

I may get satisfied with that & may don't find a need of upgrade

normally higher end components work well with similarly engineered and priced models ( this does not assume pre-owned pricing ).

It is improbable that only the amp will satisfy or take care of your needs.

But one has to start somewhere.. and if i were you, i would look at the source first and also the source material.

But there are different schools of thought.. so YMMV.

Do listen to the accuphase if you can at manav's place..while in Delhi do visit other showrooms too to listen to setups with your software ( CD etc.. ).

decide the sound signature you like and then the brand.

It will be interesting if you request a dealer to organize a blind test for you.. it could open your eyes in a different direction. :)

Good luck !!

mpw
====================================================

No, i have not heard any accuphase amp before.I guess the only way i can hear is to visit some FM's home.Guess i have to do an auditioning with my BS. I will fix an appointment & do that.

Hi
Listening to installed systems in multiple price brackets is the surest way to discern our inherent taste/preference which WE DO NOT REALIZE OURSELVES UNTIL WE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED.
High price/brands do not necessarily cater to individual tastes.
cheers

First of all wont a voltage converter sort of pull back the amp and not allow it to show its true capabilities
No point of buying such an amp and using a voltage converter

Instead save a bit, maybe pay a token to malvai and book the amp after listening to it

Believe me, it will be more peace of mind for you instead of using a amp with a voltage converter

I've heard the Accuphase E206 and found it stunning (maybe I'll stop by in the future). That presence equalizer is really something. However, I'd second mpw and say that at this kind of price point, you'd need to make sure that you like the product. Trying to re-sell a 1+ Lakh amp is going to be tough as there will be few takers during these tough times.

Stay away from voltage converters. Why don't you try my favourite website ebay.de as they have a few good Accuphase amps on there.

Dear CNU,

First of all I would like to say, using a Step down transformer in the chain is no harm as long as it is rightly sized. Cause any amplifier has got a transformer built in to reduce the voltage to 12V -24V mostly. So as long as you use a correctly rated Step down there is no harm. Only matter is in case you want to sell it in future you will be stuck that the stigma of step down will hold back the buyer (of course not me). Having used couple of Accuphase amps I am sure they can be voltage converted internally of course it needs hard wiring and soldering but I am not sure about the recent models.

With regard to the sound signature you will like it I know (I could tell you this after having talked to you so long in the recent past), More over this is the only high end integrated comes with tone control so you can adjust it to your requirement (I will not attribute it to true stereo listening as you are adding colour to the music) still you can bye pass it also.

When it comes to importing accuphase I found eby.de is the best site and it is better to wait for a good deal and go for a kill. It would be still viable if you can go to Germany and bring it in person than getting it shipped, cause the freight and the duty are the killer.

As pointed out by a member importing an amplifier with out knowing or not having an audition for its signature is a kind of risk only, cause if it not suites your taste then you have to start all over again and the first peril is to find a buyer for it (like I am stuck with my Symphonic Line, may be Accuphase should be a hot sell. still looking at Manav's E460 we have to be doubly sure about Indian high end market).

Servicing - don't worry especially with Accuphase it is very easy. All the high end components are available online for import (That situation seldom come with Accuphase or any other High end product as long as we don't abuse them). The only criteria in Stereo amps is, you have to change the components in both the channels at the same time even if it is good in one of the channels to ensure balance and staging.

In the chain of a building a Stereo or HT set up first comes is the Speaker cause these are the ones which does not require any up grade as technologically no big science is going to happen. So fix on your Speakers first exactly to your Sound signature requirement and size then rest of the things will fall in line. This is the hard lesson I have learnt after changing many speakers and amps together and losing lot of vitamin M and more so over advised by any audio advisors. Source and source material can be changed / upgraded any time as it is a ever changing / evolving technology and needs constant upgrade.

You had mentioned a figure for the landing cost of an Accuphase amp from ebay.de I think you have to included the duty of 36% on the CIF. So be sure to arrive at the landing cost correctly for not any surprises later. You had also mentioned that the seller in ebay is offering 6 months warranty AFAIK no ebay seller has offered warranty across the borders so he may be a spammer or he is confident nothing will happen to Accuphase so he is offering warranty with a gut feeling. If you can give the link of the seller I can ascertain whether it is genuine of fake. None of the on line web site is serene and ebay is no exception.

Though you have lot of options at 2L budget in India, when it comes to integrated Accuphase is Accuphase no doubt. Still a good Pre - Power combo can comfortably blow Accuphase in all fronts so think that option also before you decide.

Finally to say all this research will not be final and am sure you will be caught up with upgrade virus and your hunt will ever end.

GOOD LUCK.

Thanks,

R. Balagopalan.

"Though you have lot of options at 2L budget in India, when it comes to integrated Accuphase is Accuphase no doubt. Still a good Pre - Power combo can comfortably blow Accuphase in all fronts so think that option also before you decide."'

rbalagopalan Sir,

Can you please let me know which pre power combo you are mentioning?
Are you mentioning pre power combo in similar price range or higher than Accuphase integrated?

I am just trying to understand more about good Hifi systems.

Thanks
Renjith

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back