Need advice on 5.1 speakers selection and AVR

solairajesh

Hi All,

I planned to set up a home theater in my room of size 17*13. I need the AVR/Speakers(5.1) which can satisfy 50/50 for music and cinema. My budget is 80K. Now I am totally confused with AVR and speakers choice.

My speakers choice are "Paradigm cinema 100 CT" OR "Wharfedale DX1". I have seen the demo for "Paradigm cinema 100 CT" and I am really impressed with it. But I can see lots of positive feedback on "Wharfedale DX1" and I couldn't get demo for that:sad:. I need your feed back to choose any one of this.

Coming to AVR my choice is Denon X500/X1000. I really love Denon rather anything. But many confusions here... Will this suite the above speakers? or do they need more powerful AVR? Also I am getting many negative feedback on X series of Denon regarding service/complaints(this advice is from some dealers). Also I am not very keen about network features in AVR. Now skipping Network features and going with X500(Not having USB ) will have any significant quality difference over X1000? Anybody using X500/X1000 please advice.

Another choice for AVR is Yamaha RX-V375 which have very positive feedback and having USB as well. I have demo for this but with yamaha 5.1 speakers(YHT299) and that was really bad. How yamaha V375 perform with any of my above speakers? Anybody who using this please advice.

I am totally confused now. Please help me with your suggestion on both AVR and 5.1 speakers.

Thanks,
Solai Rajesh

Sorry for that baijuxavior... Actually I didnt get enough response from Surround Amplifiers/Receivers thread... Hence I posted it again here at Home theater thread... Please let me know if anything wrong... otherwise the moderator can close this...

Thanks,
Solai Rajesh N

Hi Solai ..I'm using Denon X500 fo past 2.5 months ..so far I didn't face any problem with that ... the sound quality was very good..
Only problem i found is some time a small earthing is observed on AVR when we touch with our bare hands on it... I think it was small grounding problem occurs due to the transformer inside AVR. Correct me if i 'm wrong..
Ofcourse u will not get the features like USB , Audessey ,4K pass through ,Airplay features in this model..rest every thing is fine ..easy for installation ,easy with remote control etc..

Based on my knowlege Denon is best suited for polk audio speakers..

Hi All,

I planned to set up a home theater in my room of size 17*13. I need the AVR/Speakers(5.1) which can satisfy 50/50 for music and cinema. My budget is 80K. Now I am totally confused with AVR and speakers choice.

My speakers choice are "Paradigm cinema 100 CT" OR "Wharfedale DX1". I have seen the demo for "Paradigm cinema 100 CT" and I am really impressed with it. But I can see lots of positive feedback on "Wharfedale DX1" and I couldn't get demo for that:sad:. I need your feed back to choose any one of this.

Coming to AVR my choice is Denon X500/X1000. I really love Denon rather anything. But many confusions here... Will this suite the above speakers? or do they need more powerful AVR? Also I am getting many negative feedback on X series of Denon regarding service/complaints(this advice is from some dealers). Also I am not very keen about network features in AVR. Now skipping Network features and going with X500(Not having USB ) will have any significant quality difference over X1000? Anybody using X500/X1000 please advice.

Another choice for AVR is Yamaha RX-V375 which have very positive feedback and having USB as well. I have demo for this but with yamaha 5.1 speakers(YHT299) and that was really bad. How yamaha V375 perform with any of my above speakers? Anybody who using this please advice.

I am totally confused now. Please help me with your suggestion on both AVR and 5.1 speakers.

Thanks,
Solai Rajesh

Since your requirement is 50 :50 for movies & music you can look @ Book Shelf / Floot stander combination... This will do good for movies & music....

You have a very good budget of 80K..... I would suggest picking up your AVR from any Asain/European/middle east countries as you will save easily more than half....By getting from these countries, the voltage is the same.. So no need of step down transformer...

You could re-invest the saved money for better speakers of your choice....

For 40K you will not even get a mid range AVR in India..... But for the same money you can get an superb amp from abroad for the same price...

But the above option is only good if you are ready to risk wihthout warranty...

Think abt it & spend wisely....

For speakers you have a plenty of choices in india.... Sonodyne, Wharfedale, PSB, Polk, Monitor Audio, Mission & few others....

Audition as many as you can & pick the one that you iike.....

Thank you Ranjith for your reply... Even I am impressed with X500 but two main things bothering... one is it doesn't have USB and another thing is whether it can power up Wharf DX1 or Paradigm 100 CT? Because one of the dealer told that it cant power up this powerful 5.1 speakers... Please correct me if I am wrong...

Since your requirement is 50 :50 for movies & music you can look @ Book Shelf / Floot stander combination... This will do good for movies & music....

You have a very good budget of 80K..... I would suggest picking up your AVR from any Asain/European/middle east countries as you will save easily more than half....By getting from these countries, the voltage is the same.. So no need of step down transformer...

For 40K you will not even get a mid range AVR in India..... But for the same money you can get an superb amp from abroad for the same price...

For speakers you have a plenty of choices in india.... Sonodyne, Wharfedale, PSB, Polk, Monitor Audio, Mission & few others....

Thanks Elango for your advice. But going with bookshelf and floorstand combination will be costly i think... Because either Wharf DX1 OR Paradigm 100 CT is coming around 61K.. So here comes the budget problem... If you have any other good choice on Bookshelf/Floorstand/Sub within my budget.. please suggest... so that I can have a audition for that... Also for decent AVR what will be your choice?? yamaha 375?? denon X500/1000??

Your suggestion on getting AVR from Asain/European/middle east countries is a good one.. but as u said warranty problem is there.. anyway I will try to bug some of my friends regarding this... ;)

Last edited:

Thanks Elango for your advice. But going with bookshelf and floorstand combination will be costly i think... Because either Wharf DX1 OR Paradigm 100 CT is coming around 61K.. So here comes the budget problem... If you have any other good choice on Bookshelf/Floorstand/Sub within my budget.. please suggest... so that I can have a audition for that... Also for decent AVR what will be your choice?? yamaha 375?? denon X500/1000??

Your suggestion on getting AVR from Asain/European/middle east countries is a good one.. but as u said warranty problem is there.. anyway I will try to bug some of my friends regarding this... ;)

There is nothing great about Wharfedale DX1 package other than what hi-fi 5 stars... They were rated for Europe & not for India...... BTW Wharf DX1 i only a Sat/BS combo.... Again Paradigm 100 CT is also a Sat/Sub Combo..... Now 61K for this is juz tooo much in my opinion....

I would Suggest Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers... Now these are Proper BS/Subwoofer combo...

Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS (11K) + Sonus C2501 (8K) + Sonus Rears Dipole surrounds (13K) + Roar 108 will cost you approx 50K from Hifimart.com after 10% discount.....This will be a better combo than the above mentioned as your priority is 50:50 movies/music....

If you have liking towards international brands, plz pick them.... Since you were on budget, i recommended this... BTW am recommending this speakers after owning them for more than a year...

Unfortunately there is no dealer in chennai who can give you a demo of this product...

Yamaha RX V 375 is the entry level model..... What if you can get a good mid range receiver fro the same price from abroad .:eek:hyeah:

Regarding the AVR, most of them are made in Malaysia... Few months back when i planned to check on Yamaha AVR there, it was more than 50% less than the cost in India... The model i enquired was Yamaha RX-A 1010...

An other Tip here... Never look for up to date models... Always scout for 1 -2 yrs old model where you could get good discounts so that you can buy a mid range receiver.....

You primary features should be that the AVR must support HDMI v1.4....

Ask you friend to check the local stores in Dubai/Malaysia/Kuwait to get good prices after negotiation if possible... Then choose your model....

Last edited:
Hi Solai ..
Denon X500 is upgradable upto 165 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven) as per technical spec.. please check the technical spec of both speakers & AVR... before purchasing defintely u need to take the audition (for ur own satisfaction and hearing taste).
Good luck on ur purchase..

There is nothing great about Wharfedale DX1 package other than what hi-fi 5 stars... They were rated for Europe & not for India...... BTW Wharf DX1 i only a Sat/BS combo.... Again Paradigm 100 CT is also a Sat/Sub Combo..... Now 61K for this is juz tooo much in my opinion....

I would Suggest Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers... Now these are Proper BS/Subwoofer combo...

Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS (11K) + Sonus C2501 (8K) + Sonus Rears Dipole surrounds (13K) + Roar 108 will cost you approx 50K from Hifimart.com after 10% discount.....This will be a better combo than the above mentioned as your priority is 50:50 movies/music....

If you have liking towards international brands, plz pick them.... Since you were on budget, i recommended this... BTW am recommending this speakers after owning them for more than a year...

Unfortunately there is no dealer in chennai who can give you a demo of this product...

Yamaha RX V 375 is the entry level model..... What if you can get a good mid range receiver fro the same price from abroad .:eek:hyeah:

Regarding the AVR, most of them are made in Malaysia... Few months back when i planned to check on Yamaha AVR there, it was more than 50% less than the cost in India... The model i enquired was Yamaha RX-A 1010...

An other Tip here... Never look for up to date models... Always scout for 1 -2 yrs old model where you could get good discounts so that you can buy a mid range receiver.....

You primary features should be that the AVR must support HDMI v1.4....

Ask you friend to check the local stores in Dubai/Malaysia/Kuwait to get good prices after negotiation if possible... Then choose your model....

WOW!!! WOW!!! what a useful advice from you Elango... Thank you so much... Now you changed my approach of selecting AVR and Speakers... Sure I'll explore more about your speaker Ideas and enquire for AVR from abroad... Sure keep you posted on this.. Thanks again :)

Hi Solai ..
Denon X500 is upgradable upto 165 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven) as per technical spec.. please check the technical spec of both speakers & AVR... before purchasing defintely u need to take the audition (for ur own satisfaction and hearing taste).
Good luck on ur purchase..

Thanks much Ranjith.. Sure I will keep your advise in my mind... will keep you posted on my purchase...

WOW!!! WOW!!! what a useful advice from you Elango... Thank you so much... Now you changed my approach of selecting AVR and Speakers... Sure I'll explore more about your speaker Ideas and enquire for AVR from abroad... Sure keep you posted on this.. Thanks again :)

Glad that i was of some help to you.... :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back