Need advice on a budget atmos av receiver

sugankc

Hello all,
This is my first post in forum, need expert advice. I have Sony htiv300 system. Looking to buy an atmos receiver now (under 50k).
Please suggest a suitable av receiver in the budget quoted above.
Also, will I be able to use the speakers that came with my Sony system with the av receiver till I buy new speakers for the receiver.
Kindly help.

Go for Marantz NR 1609. Fully speced. Barring being a little low on power, nothing is missing. Once you add to the cart in Hifimart.com, additional discount will kick in. Hard to pass over.
I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Got the AVR last week. Managing with some old Sony speakers till I do up my room to accommodate 5.2.2 speakers arrangement.

Go for Marantz NR 1609. Fully speced. Barring being a little low on power, nothing is missing. Once you add to the cart in Hifimart.com, additional discount will kick in. Hard to pass over.
I'm exactly in the same boat as you. Got the AVR last week. Managing with some old Sony speakers till I do up my room to accommodate 5.2.2 speakers arrangement.

Very useful piece of information for prospective buyers. :)

All the Slimline Marantz/Denon have MultiEQ Room Correction.

In your budget, you can easily get the Denon 2600H which Multi Eq XT, higher power and host of other features. OR
the Yamaha 685 - kickass & loaded .

In your budget, you can easily get the Denon 2600H which Multi Eq XT, higher power and host of other features. OR

If only I had seen this post a minute earlier, I could have avoided bothering @elangoas over PM. :p

I'm too in similar confusion right now. Between the Denon 2600H and Yamaha RXV 685.

@OP Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I've spent some time comparing the above 2 models.

I have seen lot of similar threads regarding AVR under XX budget, so didn't want to create a new thread again.

In my search for comparison, I stumbled upon this link. It gives some interesting points that was to my understanding (ignore if these things sound silly).

Pros for Yamaha -
- has higher DAC specs. ( Does this give better audio quality for music?).
- more pre outs. (Denon has only zone pre outs but Yamaha has separate zone and front pre outs.)
- better Bluetooth version.
- has 9 speaker output compared to 7 in denon. ( Not exactly sure why)

Pros for Denon -
- More power in amplification.
- DTS virtual X / Dolby Atmos height virtualization.
- Better calibration.
- more hdmi inputs.
- Detachable power chord ( practically useful in my opinion. )
- Independent speaker level crossover setting. Also Bass/Low end frequencies can be routed from subwoofer + mains. (This is missing on the Yamaha I believe.)

What's the better choice here?
It would be of great help if members can add in their opinions.

Last edited:
I would take the Yamaha, just for the 2.2 Pre-out.

You have the flexibility to connect a 75-80 wpc Power amp to it and it will outshine any highend AVR on both HT & Music duties.

Thanks for the response, useful info, offer on 1609 is indeed irresistible. Would the power be enough for 11*20 living room?

+1 for Denon Avr -2600H

Yesterday I received my brand new Denon X1400H 7.2 from hifimart.com for 40K. If you are strict on budget like me, then X1400H may be some thing to consider. It supports MultEq XT calibration and a lot of other features.

Based on usage of PM5005 Amp in my room (size is 23' x 11') - which delivered good volume level - I strongly believe X1400H should deliver more than enough.

If only I had seen this post a minute earlier, I could have avoided bothering @elangoas over PM. :p

I'm too in similar confusion right now. Between the Denon 2600H and Yamaha RXV 685.

@OP Sorry for hijacking your thread.

I've spent some time comparing the above 2 models.

I have seen lot of similar threads regarding AVR under XX budget, so didn't want to create a new thread again.

In my search for comparison, I stumbled upon this link. It gives some interesting points that was to my understanding (ignore if these things sound silly).

Pros for Yamaha -
- has higher DAC specs. ( Does this give better audio quality for music?).
- more pre outs. (Denon has only zone pre outs but Yamaha has separate zone and front pre outs.)
- better Bluetooth version.
- has 9 speaker output compared to 7 in denon. ( Not exactly sure why)

Pros for Denon -
- More power in amplification.
- DTS virtual X / Dolby Atmos height virtualization.
- Better calibration.
- more hdmi inputs.
- Detachable power chord ( practically useful in my opinion. )
- Independent speaker level crossover setting. Also Bass/Low end frequencies can be routed from subwoofer + mains. (This is missing on the Yamaha I believe.)

What's the better choice here?
It would be of great help if members can add in their opinions.

Denon and Marantz basically belong to same family. There UI is almost similar. Denon has better application then Yamaha.

Resell value of denon is higher than Yamaha.

Thanks for the response, useful info, offer on 1609 is indeed irresistible. Would the power be enough for 11*20 living room?
Hi
I'm not much of a home theater person, so treat my opinion accordingly.

I don't have any home theater room, just a 64" Sony OLED hung on my dining hall (18' × 27') with bad acoustics. I had no intention of setting up a HT, but got the receiver as an impulse as someone wanted to gift it as "lockdown beating gesture". I had a budget and had chosen something lesser. But when I called up Anil (Hifimart.com), he told me about the discount. I paid INR 43,000. The offer seems to be still on.
It will be a while before I set up the cables and speakers. Presently running 18 years old Sony bookshelf speakers lying in home somewhere.
As you may have heard that Marantz is very conservative in the way they report power. "Only" 50 watts is not very less. However it's less powerful than my 45X2 watts Marantz stereo amp set up in my separate listening room (16' x 20'). They are fed into medium sized floorstanders, so take that into account.
I often find myself cranking the NR 1609 to 65% volume, something I have never done in my stereo amplifier. I'd assume that with all the speakers and subwoofer fitted, it would sound louder than it is now. However I have a feeling that still it will be touching its upper limits especially if I want full theater experience with sci-fi or action movies. Since that will never be my intended use, I don't mind my choice.
Power in an amp is not about peak volume alone, but about having adequate headroom. I'll be very wary to play any amp regularly over 50%. By that measure, NR 1609 may be "just adequate" for your room. If you are not a very loud listener, it should be enough.
That said, if you have the budget, an inclination for loudness and neighbors who don't complain, go for something more powerful.
Till now my impression about the quality of NR 1609 is very positive. It has an archaic but simple OSD interface. Excellent upscaling. Amazon Prime and Netflix videos appear like I have never seen before. Quality of sound is very good, even through crappy speakers. It's equally adept at music. I'm planning to use its Zone 2 to stream music into the kitchen. Right now I'm watching Pink Floyd's The Wall. Yesterday I saw Saving Private Ryan. Thoroughly impressed. Listened to several CDs, nothing to complain. Very lively and entertaining. If anything, it doesn't have the rather aggressive high frequency roll off of Marantz stereo amps.
In short, if you are attracted by its budget, likely to use for music as well and not likely to listen very loud, you will be served well, definitely better than a similarly priced Yamaha.
Happy to help..

Everybody talking about Denon x2600... And I'm like I just bought Denon X1600h for 44k. Did I make a mistake?
Looking for a good pair of BS + Sub now.
How about Q Acoustic 3020i plus Yamaha NS-SW300 for 10/10 room.

Seems a great buy at that price. Additional bonus if you have higher db speakers

Check the Marantz NR1609 at Audiomaxx. Its priced at 49K.
View attachment 46983

The same is available for 43k on HI-FI Mart. Why pay more.

Hope this might help members who are upgrading their AVR. I'm not including Marantz here because I've not used them personally.

I recently picked up the Denon X2600H. I'm coming from a Yamaha AVR (HTR 2067)
If you do intend to listen to music on your AVR I would definitely say, stick to Yamaha AVRs. It produces more clean and natural and punchy sound.

Do not blindly go by comparing their power rating.

Where the Denon shines, is in movies. The rear/surround channel is more lively with Denon. For music, the Denon is slowly replacing what the Yamaha was performing, as I'm meddling with the settings day by day. But I still miss the punchy stereo mode on my Yamaha.

If you are tight on budget, you can consider Denon 1600H. Yamaha sounds better on Music and Denon on Movies - my observation.

The same is available for 43k on HI-FI Mart. Why pay more.

Hope this might help members who are upgrading their AVR. I'm not including Marantz here because I've not used them personally.

I recently picked up the Denon X2600H. I'm coming from a Yamaha AVR (HTR 2067)
If you do intend to listen to music on your AVR I would definitely say, stick to Yamaha AVRs. It produces more clean and natural and punchy sound.

Do not blindly go by comparing their power rating.

Where the Denon shines, is in movies. The rear/surround channel is more lively with Denon. For music, the Denon is slowly replacing what the Yamaha was performing, as I'm meddling with the settings day by day. But I still miss the punchy stereo mode on my Yamaha.
I almost decided to go with Marantz SR 60xx series and now I am seeing more and more feedback not in favor of Marantz. For me, 60/40 for Movie and music. Again getting into some confusion..

I almost decided to go with Marantz SR 60xx series and now I am seeing more and more feedback not in favor of Marantz. For me, 60/40 for Movie and music. Again getting into some confusion..
I auditioned all three Denon, Yamaha and Marantz before I finalised on Marantz 5014.

If you like warm sound signature Marantz is the way to go. I found Denon bit dull and Yamaha wasn’t as detailed as Marantz (please note this is my personal experience and you should audition all before you decide).

And with SR 60xx series you can’t go wrong. If I had the budget I would have gone for SR 6013. it is an awesome beast. If someone asks me I would definitely recommend Marantz even though once I use to own Denon.

Bottom line audition is the key.

Go for Denon if more priority is for movies. Marantz also will be good but Denon is more dynamic and punchy. I have done a direct shoot out of marantz 7010 With 4500 in my room which isn’t fair on the marantz being a 3 years older model. The marantz was musical but the Denon was a beast in action sequences. Getting the right speakers will give you good performance with music on the Denon as well. Denon is a beast when it comes to movies period. Only way to decide which is better for your taste is to compare side by side in same room and set up. Going to one showroom and checking Denon and another showroom for marantz or Yamaha is totally a wrong approach to decide which avr performs best.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back