Need advice on buying used YAMAHA AX550

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45006

I just saw an old YAMAH AX550, in an used market in chennai.. Asking price was 7k,will it be worth it.My current amp is a harman kardon avr 2000,which is a av reciever,can I expect some a wider soundstage, better seperation from this compared to the reciever in stereo mode?

I just saw an old YAMAH AX550, in an used market in chennai.. Asking price was 7k,will it be worth it.My current amp is a harman kardon avr 2000,which is a av reciever,can I expect some a wider soundstage, better seperation from this compared to the reciever in stereo mode?

Hi,

Just went thru the specs of both your receiver & Yamaha AX 550...

AX-550 seems to be on the lines of AX/ AS stereo amplifier series & Moreover, AX550 power consumption is around 540 VA (430W) where as Your receiver is also around 470W.

Also an interesting specification from your receiver is Continuous average power in Stereo mode is 50W/ channel Which is very good...

I would say both are evenly poised in terms of power / Yamaha is slightly powerful than you receiver....

What speakers do you use ? More depends on pairing....

I use Infinity Reference series 2000.3,bookshelves.. with these,the speakers are rated 125 w @8ohms.but I dont use the amp,at a volume more than 50 percentage most of the times.so,used to have a decent output. Theoretically, the Yamaha's would give more punch in every aspects.But, I m more interested in other things, like soundstage, imaging, than power.. and loudness.. Harman so far,is not bad in stereo mode..and use its optical input and DAC from different sources for listening.Now,since the Yamaha I mentioned is an analogue one, I m confused,whether it will give me a better output.. and What spec of the amp basically determines,how good they are silent,when there is a start and stop kind of stuff comes in thee music?weird question,but so far i couldnt understood what determines it.:)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back