Hi all,

I am planning to buy NAS for home. Features that i m looking for
1. 1-2 tb storage space
2. Bittorrent support
3. Actual not theoretical speed of atleast 40-50 MBps data transfer
4. Supports windows, ios and android
5. Remote access of data via admin
6. Budget of around 12 - 15k

I have belkin N600 router at home. For me point 3 is very critical. My friend advised me to look at Buffalo linkstation pro (LS-V) models

Kindly advice

Regards,
Ashish Gupta

You can go for Netgear ReadyNAS RN102 which falls correctly in your budget. It is a 2-Bay NAS with a maximum capacity of 8TB. As your storage requirement is 2TB max, you can initially buy a 2TB drive and later expand when required.
All of the points mentioned are covered as well a few more features like DLNA, iTunes Server, Backup, etc.

RN10200

I also was looking for a NAS and members here suggested me to go for RN104 (4-Bay Model, 16TB max capacity), so finally got it up and running. I'm pretty satisfied. For the price paid its VFM.

Try the below ..

Synology DS214

Complete review of ds413j is in my sig

I have gone through the Buffalo linkstation pro feature set and brief intro and my personal openion is Synology ds series is a far mature product than Bufallo.

About the speed it depends more on your Network infrastructure and the HDD you choose to put rather than the NAS itself.

Last edited:
One more query - if i buy these products from usa, will there be any power issues. I have chcked 2-3 products, specs says power input 100-240V AC, 50/60 Hz

I am using a Buffalo LS-WVL and extremely happy with it. It has proven itself as a great all-round performer with blazing fast read and writes. I posted some screenshots in past here at this forum which can be searched. I have write speed in excess of 70 MB/s. The only feature that was promised and disappointed me was bittorrent, which was not as powerful and flexible as a laptop. Other than that a really great product, specially for those for whom read write speed and overall responsiveness is of paramount importance. With this NAS in service, I never feel like accessing my documents from a NAS, it feels as if I am accessing them from a locally attached external drive, it's that responsive in use. Couldn't ask for more from a product which is sold as a Network Attached Storage. Other features it comes with I just take that as an extra.

I am using a Buffalo LS-WVL and extremely happy with it. It has proven itself as a great all-round performer with blazing fast read and writes. I posted some screenshots in past here at this forum which can be searched. I have write speed in excess of 70 MB/s. The only feature that was promised and disappointed me was bittorrent, which was not as powerful and flexible as a laptop. Other than that a really great product, specially for those for whom read write speed and overall responsiveness is of paramount importance. With this NAS in service, I never feel like accessing my documents from a NAS, it feels as if I am accessing them from a locally attached external drive, it's that responsive in use. Couldn't ask for more from a product which is sold as a Network Attached Storage. Other features it comes with I just take that as an extra.

Can you elaborate on the bittorent issue, as one of the primary reason for buying NAS is bittorent facility. I download a lot and keeping my laptop switched on is a pain.
I assumed bittorrent download should not be an issue at all

Thanks

Even though you are not even considering synology for reasons unknows, could have looked to the page I wrote, it has synology torrent features explicitly explained, not only torrent how the NAS can be used as a complete 24x7 running download center ........ and they are very very cool to start off with ....... posting the excerpts from the same review on synology download station

**********DOWNLOAD STATION**********

2a7zhiu.jpg

As the name suggest Download Station, on Synology's is a take on personal download manager, for your own disk station. The surprising and best part about Synology's Download Station is, not only its support for various download methods, but also that they actually works as it should be. Just to give an idea of what DS supports,

1. The but obvious "Torrents"
2. Torrent searches!!!. Not only can you download but can search torrents as well right from Download stations itself. And it searches simultaneously from various torrent services. You can add and search downloads to you Download Station from mobile as well, and monitor them too. More on this in PART 4

35crhqs.jpg

3. Direct downloads from following numerous services ...

bkhfd.jpg

Both free and paid accounts are supported.

4. Usenet servers with full NZB support.
5. emule downloads.
6. FTP/HTTP direct downloads

All downloads can be automated and scheduled as well. How do you automate ...

1. For direct downloads (like Rapidshare, Fileserve links) :: you create a txt file that would have your valid URLs for the downloads. Then you create a "Watch" folder on any of your share and point DS to monitor that watch folder. You then put the .TXT file in to that watch folder. Anytime you copy a new download URL on that txt file, DS will grab it and start to download.

2. For torrents its even easy,::: just copy the torrent file in to that watch folder and Download station will grab and start to download. And its instantaneous.

3. For NZB it's the same::: as with any Usenet download client. Define the news server, news port, authentication details and that's it. Now whenever you will copy the NZB file on to your watch folder, download station will grab it and start to download.

NOW COMES MY FAV PART

What if you are sitting across states or country, on internet. And you don't have access to your watch folder ...

Synology has official plug-ins for CHROM and Firefox. Which makes sending links and torrents directly to your download station a breeze. With Chrome it's even better, with "Download with disk station" button present right along the magnet link

Not only that... it also add a neat link on your YouTube videos as well, clicking on which will download the YouTube video directly to your download station.

Neat very neat if you ask me.

However you need to understand that you have to user DDNS services to provide access to your internal network from internet.

More on this much later when we discuss how to access NAS from internet.

For Chrome just install :: "Synology Download station for Google chrome"

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/synology-download-station/onhbegdkgonhlokobjefolhpoidcnida

Once installed it will provide a neat "Download with disk station" button right beside the magnet link on the torrent site, or you can right click on the link itself and choose "Download with disk station"

do315d.jpg

For Firefox best is ::: SynoLoader :: Again once installed you can have any torrent download by right clicking on the links and choose "Download with SynoLoader"

29c9f0i.jpg

For you tube : YouTube downloader only works with chrome, if you have Synology Download station for Google chrome, then you will get a neat button just under the video to be able to download the video directly on to your Disk station.

286tkih.jpg

Synology NAS are very good. I will short list model as per my budget (usd 200). I looked it once and found only DS112j model fits in that budget. Will check again

Synology NAS are very good. I will short list model as per my budget (usd 200). I looked it once and found only DS112j model fits in that budget. Will check again

even 212J fits your budget ...:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back