Need advice on sealing the Sub woofer speaker cabinet

anilva

I am in the process of finishing my sub woofer based on TJ Anthony's design using Peerless 12" sub and a DASH plate amp. The cabinet is sealed and not a ported one. I need to now the seal the enclosure from inside at the joints to prevent any air leak.

Any suggestions on what sealant I can use to seal the wood work joints from inside to prevent gaps and leaks. I can I know use Araldite kind of 2 part adhesives, but they are pretty cumbersome. Any 3M product that I can use taking help of a caulking gun?

Will post pictures shortly.

Regards

Hi Anil,

Silicon sealant will do the job but it will peal off very easily from MDF and wood. In my experience we can achieve a good sealing by applying thick layer of Fevicol SH over the internal joints. It is a time consuming process as you can't apply it to all joints at the same time. It takes some time to dry.

Thanks,
Bibin

Silicone sealant will peel of wood easily. FM Santhosh suggested fevicol SH mixed with saw dust as sealant. But needs to be applied by hand. I am sure 3M makes sealant for wood which can be applied like silicone sealant.

Cheers

I used fiberglass mat and resin for the purpose, Araldite is an equally good epoxy and IMHO it's easier to use in comparison.

An effective way to apply Araldite to the corners is to soak a thin strip of cloth with it and then place the cloth over the corners. This will also give some extra support from the flanks when the epoxy sets in. A small brush dipped in epoxy can be used to to press the cloth to the nook and crannies of the joint and fill in the the air gaps with epoxy.

Good luck with the build and waiting to see the WIP pics

Regards

I use regular Fevicol available in stationery stores. Comes in a squeeze tube with a nozzle. Is slightly runny but seeps nicely into gaps so you might need to do one more pass after the first application dries. Try it - it's available in small sizes of tubes too so easy to experiment with to see if it works for you.

Fm santosh's way is the cheap and easiest and effective way, I know lots of people following this procedure.. The sawdust and fevicol combination is very effective but its sticky and icky to apply but the results are very good.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back