Need advice on setting up thin clients with Ubuntu server

arunkvivek

Hello Friends,
One of my relatives face this challenge of having two kids attend online classes of the school. it is difficult for the kids to watch through mobile. They attend the classes on microsoft teams which not compatible with Raspberry Pi. Given the economic slowdown, I do not want them to spend much on buying gadgets. I am on a tight budget at disposal (10-15K for thin clients + accessories and related spend). I have a spare NUC (Celeron based) available which I gave to the elder kid. This has 8 GB RAM and 256GB SSD. This is connected to an old TV as display. There is one other old monitor that I have. I was thinking of setting up Ubuntu server with Ubuntu Desktop that kids can boot and join the school. Is this Ubuntu server + thin clients even possible as solution? Please advise.

Forgot all about this. @manniraj @keith_correa could you guys suggest?

Yes I think you can install the Ubuntu on the thin client PCs just like any other OS. Regarding the Teams they do have a version now compatible - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-teams-is-now-available-on-linux/ba-p/1056267. Should be easy enough to go ahead with Ubuntu and if you want to go with Windows 10 then here is a license at cheap - https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

Only stumbling block that I face now is that thin clients that I am not sure if they would allow webcam

Only stumbling block that I face now is that thin clients that I am not sure if they would allow webcam

I think Webcam is another hardware which you can connect to the thin client PC via USB if it isn't in-built into the PC. So it just needs the drivers installed and most of the available webcam need default drivers even in Windows and I think Linux should be supported straight away.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back