Need advice regarding 40"LEDlost and baffled by the pricesHELP guys...

argurpreet321

Hi Guys
am in the market for a 40" LED tvpreferably Samsung or Sony
have seen Sony W670a and samsung F5500 and F6400
Am willing to go for the F6400
But other than the usual confusion about which is the best LED, am completely baffled by the price difference being offered in shopsFor an example, about 90% of the shops I visited in Delhi (Samsung stores, Croma, Vijay sales, Reliance etc) are asking for Rs. 78,900/ for the F6400They are not willing to budge from this price saying something like they can't bill this product less than thisor the computer does not accept a lower priceSame for the sonyThey call this price the MOP
Only 2 dealers I called up Gupta Electronics in Kailash Colony and KDM electronics opp Surya hotel offered a price of 72,500/-. Is this price fair for F6400 sammy and how come this major price difference?
Is it safe to buy from these dealersBoth of them are mentioned on the samsung dealer listBut the showroom people say they must be giving grey market piecesPlease adviceam in a fix.:sad:

Hi Guys
am in the market for a 40" LED tvpreferably Samsung or Sony
have seen Sony W670a and samsung F5500 and F6400
Am willing to go for the F6400
But other than the usual confusion about which is the best LED, am completely baffled by the price difference being offered in shopsFor an example, about 90% of the shops I visited in Delhi (Samsung stores, Croma, Vijay sales, Reliance etc) are asking for Rs. 78,900/ for the F6400They are not willing to budge from this price saying something like they can't bill this product less than thisor the computer does not accept a lower priceSame for the sonyThey call this price the MOP
Only 2 dealers I called up Gupta Electronics in Kailash Colony and KDM electronics opp Surya hotel offered a price of 72,500/-. Is this price fair for F6400 sammy and how come this major price difference?
Is it safe to buy from these dealersBoth of them are mentioned on the samsung dealer listBut the showroom people say they must be giving grey market piecesPlease adviceam in a fix.:sad:

If you broaden your horizons, you can get a Panasonic/Samsung Plasma 50 inches for those kind of prices.

There are plenty of threads out here in this forum about the merits and demerits of both kinds of TVs and you can read them to form your own opinion.

But I was looking at the prices you are willing to pay for a 75,000 odd for a 40 inches "LED" why not the same money for a 51 inches Samsung plasma?

Vinod

Have looked at plasmas too...but wifey doesn't want to go in for a plasma...i know the general consensus among members here is that plasmas are better and am not questioning it...but still have decided on an led...also i can't go beyond 40 inches...my viewing distance is just 5'6"...
So plz advice accordingly...
Thanks

Have looked at plasmas too...but wifey doesn't want to go in for a plasma...i know the general consensus among members here is that plasmas are better and am not questioning it...but still have decided on an led...also i can't go beyond 40 inches...my viewing distance is just 5'6"...
So plz advice accordingly...
Thanks

Hi argurpreet,

No offense meant, however, most wife's after watching commercials and hearing hearsay (read other ladies) think plasmas are old technology and LEDs are new technology.

I had to educate my wife too and she now knows it is not so.

Please also tell her that all LEDs are only LCDs with a different lighting system.

I am neither against LCD-LEDs or Plasmas. To each his own. But my point is that when you can get a larger screen size for lesser price, why not?

Then your call.

Vinod

@argupreet will support Vinod on the education of wifey. But remember this is a long and tedious process (a project in itself). It took nearly 2 years to convince on the need to buy a bigger tv, 2 days to educate on the technology (which included detailed viewing of TVs at numerous stores - Croma, Vijay's Jumbo, Reliance etc)...and then one day it clicked.

One half truth that you tell her is that for the budget you will get a bigger tv and when anybody will see, they will not find out till somebody tells them (atleast Panas are not branded Plasma)...maybe it works

As for Guptaji, couple of years ago he was our grocery guy :). No experience with his electronics avatar :sad:. Maybe you could check papers (for warranty) and the set for freshness of stock and usage.

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

They are not willing to budge from this price saying something like they can't bill this product less than thisor the computer does not accept a lower priceSame for the sonyThey call this price the MOP

From what i learnt is that Sony & Samsung have their prices fixed before hitting the any showrooms & any retailer is not allowed to bill lower than what is fixed by their distribution network...

You cant even bargain for a little bit of price with any of these two brands...

With other brands you can....

Last edited:
I would generally ask my wife's opinion on home appliances. But I don't even inform her about the electronics that I buy. ;)

Hi guys...thanks for all the lovely opinions...but as for the part about getting a bigger plasma in the same price...i mentioned my viewing distance ...its a mere 5'6" and that too from the screen right upto my eyeballs... So a 51" plasma would be overkill for sure... Also plasmas are really a good technology, albeit a dying one...I have my doubts regarding the future support from manufacturers in the years to come...
As for the price i too got to know the same thing that the prices are already fixed by samsung and sony...calling it the MOP...and no one is willing to go below it...
Anyways...whichever i buy, have almost decided that I will go for a brand shop and not risk it all from a smaller dealer...

Last edited:
Hi again guys...forgot to mention, i was demoing the F6400 with my hard drive...but even after switching the clear motion rate setting to off, i could not get rid of the soap opera effect on some scenes...
on my existing lcd, again a samsung, if i toggle it to off...i can ditch the over smooth panning caused by the 100 hz motion flow...but not on this model....any guesses why???

Hi guys...thanks for all the lovely opinions...but as for the part about getting a bigger plasma in the same price...i mentioned my viewing distance ...its a mere 5'6" and that too from the screen right upto my eyeballs... So a 51" plasma would be overkill for sure... Also plasmas are really a good technology, albeit a dying one...I have my doubts regarding the future support from manufacturers in the years to come...
As for the price i too got to know the same thing that the prices are already fixed by samsung and sony...calling it the MOP...and no one is willing to go below it...
Anyways...whichever i buy, have almost decided that I will go for a brand shop and not risk it all from a smaller dealer...

I am yet to hear anyone complain that "They have got a larger TV":D but for sure there are enough whines on this forum that they have outgrown their TV size. :)

Actually both plasmas and LED are dying technologies as OLED with 4K is on it's way in.

So take a careful call.

Vinod

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back