Need Advise: Good BS speakers for Denon PMA 777

maxdiamond

Need Advice: Good BS speakers for Denon PMA 777

hi all at HFV, it is my first post here though I have been following this forum for a past few months since I got bitten by the vinyl bug about a year ago.

Currently I own a pair of vintage Cosmic speakers which went really well with the Cosmic amp.

I recently acquired a used Denon PMA 777 stereo amplifier (it was a flagship model from the mid 80s) and I am looking for a decent bookshelf speakers within the budget of 16k that go well with the power this amp sends out.

Can anyone please suggest me a good match for this amp?

The following are the specs of this amp:

Model:
Denon PMA 777

Rated Output Power:
100 Watts minimum rms per channel (8 ohm load) with less than 0.02% total harmonic distortion from 20Hz - 20kHz.
120 W + 120 W (4 ohm load) 20Hz - 20kHz at T.H.D 0.05%
1kHz (4 ohm load) 150 W + 150 W (DIN, T.H.D 1%)
1kHz (4 ohm load) 30 W + 30 W (IEC)

Output Bandwidth:
1Hz - 80kHz (IHF T.H.D 0.03%)

SN Ratio (IHFA Network):
Phono-1, 2 MM: 88db
Phono-1, 2 MC: 72db
Tuner, Tape, DAD, Video/AUX: 110 db

Though I had at one time froze on the Wharfedale 9.1 or Cambridge Audio S30, it didnt convince me enough to make a purchase. My primary usage is for music listening on the turntable only (rock, metal and some funk).

I presently own a vintage Philips turntable. Right now I am choosing between Technics SL-Q3, Sony PS T33 and Sony PS 333 (with Ortofon headshell and Grado cartridge i will be upgrading with).

Attached are the pics of the amp.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 189
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
hi all at HFV, it is my first post here though I have been following this forum for a past few months since I got bitten by the vinyl bug about a year ago.

Currently I own a pair of vintage Cosmic speakers which went really went well with the Cosmic amp.

I recently acquired a used Denon PMA 777 stereo amplifier (it was a flagship model from the mid 80s) and I am looking for a decent bookshelf speakers within the budget of 16k that go well with the power this amp sends out.

Can anyone please suggest me a good match for this amp?

The following are the specs of this amp:

Model:
Denon PMA 777

Rated Output Power:
100 Watts minimum rms per channel (8 ohm load) with less than 0.02% total harmonic distortion from 20Hz - 20kHz.
120 W + 120 W (4 ohm load) 20Hz - 20kHz at T.H.D 0.05%
1kHz (4 ohm load) 150 W + 150 W (DIN, T.H.D 1%)
1kHz (4 ohm load) 30 W + 30 W (IEC)

Output Bandwidth:
1Hz - 80kHz (IHF T.H.D 0.03%)

SN Ratio (IHFA Network):
Phono-1, 2 MM: 88db
Phono-1, 2 MC: 72db
Tuner, Tape, DAD, Video/AUX: 110 db

Though I had at one time froze on the Wharfedale 9.1 or Cambridge Audio S30, it didnt convince me enough to make a purchase. My primary usage is for music listening on the turntable only (rock, metal and some funk).

I presently own a vintage Philips turntable. Right now I am choosing between Technics SL-Q3, Sony PS T33 and Sony PS 333 (with Ortofon headshell and Grado cartridge i will be upgrading with).

Attached are the pics of the amp.

This looks like a solid amplifier (Specifications).. Also it consumes around 250W of power in stereo mode... thatz powerful....... I would suggest you to take the used route where you can find some good bookshelf speaker that can do justice to your amplifier.

If you are planning for a new speaker @ 16K, you might end up buying a entry level speaker. I can suggest you Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS speaker for 10K. You can also try the Norge speakers for around 12 - 15K.

There is also Sonodyne Sonus 2504 FS (2 Way) for 17K. A bigger bookshelf speaker...

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply guys, really appreciate it.

This looks like a solid amplifier (Specifications).. Also it consumes around 250W of power in stereo mode... thatz powerful

Yes, elangoas, its a very powerful amp that's why i backed out on the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or Cambridge Audio S30 because I realized neither of them would do justice to this amp.

Sonodyne speakers are really good ol' vintage Indian stuff, will audition those models at the Bangalore showroom (if I remember correctly, they have one on Lalbagh Road).

Hari Iyer's Transmission Line is also tempting option, corElement. Thanks for the suggestion. I am not much of a DIY'er in electronics, so it would not be easy option for me. Otherwise are they up for sale somewhere?

I believe hari is setting up connections with a dealer in bangalore to sell them but not immediately/over night,.

You wouldn't have to do anything yourself so don't need to worry about diy. The reason i suggested it, is because even though it's a bookshelf speaker, because they're transmission line they will sound bigger than any other bookshelf you'll get under 30k. Hari spent a lot of time balancing it's sound.

Last edited:
now i cant wait to get an audition for the Hari's Transmission Line !
hope that happens soon, meanwhile I will have to settle for Sonodyne or DIY Boltons.

Sadly, yes.
Occasionally Boltons turn up in the used / for sale market, currently there is a pair of 4-way Bolton available in Bangalore at a very good price. But it is quite heavy, dont know why.

I came across a pair of Tree Audio speakers from a known seller (it is all his personal stash), auditioned them yesterday. Amazing pair of 3 way bookshelf speakers, no bass port and has a very clean sound with a power of 150 W rms, sounded better even without any tonal adjustments.
The question is that I have never heard of this brand of speakers and little Googling informed me that this company. based in Los Angeles. manufactures Tube Consoles and is a division of Inward Connections.

Has anyone heard of this brand? Or any impressions/exposure to Tree Audio speakers?

UPDATE: the ones I auditioned are Tree Audio studio monitor speakers.

Last edited:
Yes, elangoas, its a very powerful amp that's why i backed out on the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or Cambridge Audio S30 because I realized neither of them would do justice to this amp.
The amp specs surely looks good, should be able to drive some of the most troublesome speakers easily.

Don't pick speakers based on if they would do "does justice to the amp"! Buy it based on how good the speaker sounds to you! I doubt any 16K speaker would do justice to this amp, so dont wast your time looking for speakers that would do justice :)

I came across a pair of Tree Audio speakers from a known seller (it is all his personal stash), auditioned them yesterday. Amazing pair of 3 way bookshelf speakers, no bass port and has a very clean sound with a power of 150 W rms, sounded better even without any tonal adjustments.
The question is that I have never heard of this brand of speakers and little Googling informed me that this company. based in Los Angeles. manufactures Tube Consoles and is a division of Inward Connections.

Has anyone heard of this brand? Or any impressions/exposure to Tree Audio speakers?

UPDATE: the ones I auditioned are Tree Audio studio monitor speakers.

May I know where you auditioned ?

Hi Audio Freak
I became blind to dates if any Cosmic Component is in the Thread or Post

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back