Need advise to set up Bowers & Wilkins Subwoofer and Surrounds..

gnkapadia

Hi Guys,
Currently have the Onkyo TX NR 708 and Dali Ikon 6 in stereo set-up. Wanna add the B&W ASW 610 Subwoofer, Dali Vokal 2 and the B&W M1 surrounds to my set up(have them with me). I also want to upgrade my speaker cables which currently are unbranded ones. I have the following questions:
1) What is the ideal location to place the subwoofer. Am attaching a pics of my room. Pls advise. if u notice there is a void(glass over a sunken space). Is it ok to place the subwoofer there?
2) Location at which center(above or below TV) should be placed.
3) Height at which surrounds shd be placed.
3) Want to buy cables for the two Dali's, the center and the Subwoofer. Have a budget of approx 10k for all cables..Please advise, preferably suggesting from where to buy.
4) I have a box packed Sherwood Region free blue-ray disc player which I want to add to the set-up(in place of my DVD player).
4) I'm based in Khar, Mumbai. If I can have someone come n help me with all of the above, or advise on phone, I'm open to that too. Also open to have a professional come over at a charge. Also open to a few like minded ppl coming over on a sat afternoon n helping...We could follow it u
Thanks for reading and bigger thanks for the inputs!
Warm Regards,
Gaurav.

Attachments

• 2011-12-21%252008.48.47[1].jpg
    2011-12-21%252008.48.47[1].jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 2011-12-21%252008.48.26[1].jpg
    2011-12-21%252008.48.26[1].jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 128
To answer for first Question

Every room has its own characteristics so there is no rule as to where the properly position the subwoofer .
What you can do is try the subwoofer crawl by Alan loft . Google it .. you will get your answer

Question 2

Your Center can be either above or below the TV, it does not matter . if it is above point it downwards slightly so that it is pointing towards the listening area and vicer versa

Question 3A

Surrounds ideally 3 feet above your seating position .

Question 3B

Cables depends on the length of the wires . measure how many meters you require. Preferably 14 gauge in the front/center and 16 gauge for surrounds
On the basis of how many meters you require we can give you which ones to go in for considering your budget

Question 4A

So plug it in and enjoy ...

Question 4B

Sent u a pm

Last edited:
hi,
B&W M1 Surrounds is very good & ASW 610 Subwoofer is also very good but it depends on ur room size.

thnx

to make it easier for you.........have a look at the link:
Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

everything is self explanatory, you dont need anyone to come place your speakers, save the money for your cables. Unfortunately everything else more a less has a fixed position except the subwoofer. It can take weeks before you find the optimal spot for your sub. You will read loads of articles by experts talking about subwoofer placement.

If you really wanna do it the audiophile way.......there is a trick. Place the subwoofer in the listening position and leave it there. Now play a range of tracks with variable bass frequencies and crawl around the room to find a spot were you feel the bass sounds the best. That is the spot where you wanna place your subwoofer.

If you wanna skip the above exercise, then just place it somewhere along the front speakers........if you want more bass then a corner spot works great. I ave mine behind the listening position so you have to experiment what sounds great to your ears. I'm afraid there is NO single solution for subwoofer placement. Take your time and work towards it, might take a couple of weeks of experimentation before you finally find the BEST spot.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back