Need advise to update onkyo receiver

raju

Hello guys,

I have a onkyo TX-307 5.1 receiver with onkyo HT-328 5.1 speaker system. I am interested to update my receiver with Onkyo Tx-507.

Technically I am not good at these areas, I need your advise as I can see very interesting info. in the forums.

For my speakers - max. input power 120W/ch, and the amp can deliver upto 130w/ch. Will this have any effect in the speakers.

What will be effect of impedance mismatch?

Why upgrade to the older stuff wait for more time and get new series 2010 models ............. :cool: and since you have already used onkyo why not try Denon or Marantz this time :rolleyes:

Raju - What's the reason to upgrade? If you are looking at additional video processing capabilities 507 may not be an 'upgrade'.

From your post I take it that you are not planning to replace the spkr system?

Again, considering that you've owned an Onkyo before why don't you consider AVRs from Denon or Yamaha? IMO I find Denon or Yamaha better than Onkyo. The new Pioneer range also seems impressive and I understand Pioneer's sound processing is akin to Yamaha.

And, finally - how much money have u planned to splurge on your new AVR??

Hello guys,

I have a onkyo TX-307 5.1 receiver with onkyo HT-328 5.1 speaker system. I am interested to update my receiver with Onkyo Tx-507.

Technically I am not good at these areas, I need your advise as I can see very interesting info. in the forums.

For my speakers - max. input power 120W/ch, and the amp can deliver upto 130w/ch. Will this have any effect in the speakers.

Hi Raju,

Plz don't update the receiver. I have an Onkyo 7.1HTIB and i know how Onkyo speakers are. Really pathetic. the HTIB i own has an BS speaker sensitivity 0f 86 db and surround speaker sensitivity of 84 db. they are not even the better #'s. So instead of changing the receiver, change the speakers (Wharfadale, Mission) whatever u can afford. I am sure they will def satisfy u.

All the speaker #'s quoted by Onkyo are bogus #'s. None of them are genuine. For example u have said that the Max input power is 120 W/ch. This is a Marketing gimmick used.. These #'s are arrived when the receiver is driven thru 1 channel. It is not Continuous power handling.. So the Max power handling for ur speaker should be 50W RMS. Nothing more than that.

if u refer to the Owners manual section of the Onkyo receiver, i can see a Dynamic power of 85W/Ch when 2 channels are driven. So letz assume if all channels are driven then the Dynamic power will not exceed a Max of 60W/Ch. Which means the coninous power handling will aalways be less then the dynamic power. So only 40 - 50W/ch is what ur receiver can produce.

Again, considering that you've owned an Onkyo before why don't you consider AVRs from Denon or Yamaha? IMO I find Denon or Yamaha better than Onkyo. The new Pioneer range also seems impressive and I understand Pioneer's sound processing is akin to Yamaha.

Goose, which model of Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo AVRs did you audition? What made you like the Denon & Yamaha more than Onkyo?

And if I may ask, why do you recommend switching to Denon or Yamaha because the OP already owns an Onkyo?

All the speaker #'s quoted by Onkyo are bogus #'s. None of them are genuine. For example u have said that the Max input power is 120 W/ch. This is a Marketing gimmick used.. These #'s are arrived when the receiver is driven thru 1 channel. It is not Continuous power handling.. So the Max power handling for ur speaker should be 50W RMS. Nothing more than that.

if u refer to the Owners manual section of the Onkyo receiver, i can see a Dynamic power of 85W/Ch when 2 channels are driven. So letz assume if all channels are driven then the Dynamic power will not exceed a Max of 60W/Ch. Which means the coninous power handling will aalways be less then the dynamic power. So only 40 - 50W/ch is what ur receiver can produce.

What you have said is not right only for Onkyo but also for most other manufacturers like Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. Unfortunately most of these manufacturers put out all these unbelievable numbers to keep unsuspecting customers happy with such big and unrealistic wattage. A fairly easy way to call this bluff is to check the power consumption of the AVR and see if multiplying the total watts per channel claimed by the manufacturer with the total number of channels yields a number that is greater than or equal to power consumption.

So if a manufacturer claims 100 watts per channel and if it is a 7 channel AVR, then the AVR's amplifier section has to consume at least 700 Watts assuming it is 100% efficient. But then, no amplifier is 100% efficient. Depending on the amplifier class, the amplifier is efficient anywhere between 50 - 90%, that is, only 50 - 90% of the consumed power is available as amplification to all speakers. So for example, for a true 100 watts per channel power output across all 7 channels at the same time, a typical class AB amplifier has to consume at least 1300 Watts of raw electricity!! Most low - mid level amplifiers claims of XXX watts per channel will fall flat if one does this calculation because for a supposed 100 watts per channel AVR, the power consumption would usually be between 400 - 600 Watts.

However, high end AVRs and amplifier manufacturers will usually state the actual power consumption and true output but such manufacturers are far and few.

thekinge said:
Goose, which model of Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo AVRs did you audition? What made you like the Denon & Yamaha more than Onkyo?

And if I may ask, why do you recommend switching to Denon or Yamaha because the OP already owns an Onkyo?

Thekinge - I've listened to the 506 and 602 Onkyos earlier, former with onkyo spkrs and latter with CAT (custom made) spkr package. Infact used to own the latter bit I gave it away due to overheating issues.

I currently have the Denon 1609 and the Yamaha 663 and drive them with Energy TC and Yamaha NS-225s respectively.

I've also listened to the Denon 3808 + Bose and Yamaha 2700 + Dalis(don't know the exact model nos though) at various friends places.

In my music preference I found the Onkyo (atleast the models that I heard) to be a bit muddle and lacked detail that I was able to find in the Yamahas and Denons. Again as far as clarity goes I would vote for the Denon over the Yamaha.

Why am I recommeding the OP for a change of brand? Well he wants to upgrade and thought it would be an opportunity for him to experience other brands as well.

At the end of the day one is entitled for ones views, just as I can sense that you are a staunch Onkyo supporter I support anything that sounds good to me.

I bought a 2010 model Onkyo 608 although I 508 in mind. I am just counting the days collecting funds to go for good suitable speakers.

Before selecting this product:
I checked Denon 1911, Panasonic XX09 and XX10 Series(with ipod usb) also

Hello guys,

Raju, dont for a second trust the power figures these Onkyo, Sony, Denon, Yamaha guys claim! I have one that claims 160watts or so, and my 55watt pioneer stereo amp whoops its behind! So rest assured,the Onkyo AVR has nowhere enough power to fry your speakers, lest even make it sweat!
Be it Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, none of the budget AVRs are too good for stereo music.
So not really much to choose between all that.
I too own an Onkyo 506, and the last thing I miss is high frequency extension.
What I do miss is body and depth to the music, for which a stereo amp is a better answer.
As someone else said, invest your upgrade money in a set of decent speakers rather!

Last edited:
Why am I recommeding the OP for a change of brand? Well he wants to upgrade and thought it would be an opportunity for him to experience other brands as well.

At the end of the day one is entitled for ones views, just as I can sense that you are a staunch Onkyo supporter I support anything that sounds good to me.

Am not a staunch supporter of Onkyo at all, even though I am a owner of an Onkyo AVR. My reason for buying the 876 is for its power and ability to drive floorstanders with authority and the price I got it at (for 34K INR new). If I had a choice of buying a high end Denon or Marantz at that price, I would surely have auditioned them and made a decision.

Since you have auditioned the Denon, Yamaha & Onkyos and liked the Denon & Yamaha over the Onkyo, your recommendation to the OP is fine although it is your personal preference. It's just that I do not support blanket recommendation of one AVR over another without rationale.

thekinge said:
Since you have auditioned the Denon, Yamaha & Onkyos and liked the Denon & Yamaha over the Onkyo, your recommendation to the OP is fine although it is your personal preference. It's just that I do not support blanket recommendation of one AVR over another without rationale.

No mate, no blanket recommendation here. I've listened to these three brands and hence my comment.

@iaudio: Onkyo with Onkyo spkrs and Yamaha with Yamaha spkrs in my house (ie same room if you like it).

I must admit that I went about forming my opinion on the assumption that the respective receivers should be best matched with their native brand speakers and I liked the yamaha combo better.
I did try the denon 1609 with the yamaha speakers(ns225) and was quite pleased with clarity and detail, but cudnt get the bass right with denon though.
I also had overheating issues with my sr602, so it sort of left a bad impression. By comparison both my current rcvr (663 & 1609) run juSt barely warm. I was so paranoid of this issue that when I got these new I tested them by running them non stop for 24hrs.
Sorry I guess I digressed the topic completely!

I will be using it for 80:20 (music : movies). As I am not getting the expected iosiooutput from tx-307, I would like to update it.

Ur sugeestions are welcome please.

Hi

Why don't you give a listen to marantz since your use is majorly for music. They are by far more musical than the others in that budget. I upgrade from yamaha to marantz and have enjoyed the musicality of these receivers thoroughly. Moreover their wattage claims are mote genuine. Try it before you make a decision.

Sunny

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back