Need Clarity on Dolby Digital Plus

asaldharan

Hi,

I have a TATA Sky HD and Onkyo 3500. Today I watched a movie in star movies HD and the content is DD+( showed during the play back) and my STB is also a DD+ capable ( mentioned on the device) but my AVR doesn't show DD+ in the display instead it showed as Dolby digital 5.1

Even when I play DD+ content in TV ( DD+ capable) I am not seeing the DD+ in the display of the AVR.

I have a set up like..

TV to AVR through optical.
STB to AVR through Coaxial.

Please let me know what is going wrong here?

Thanks

The truth is:
- None of the DTH or none of the channels who are claiming DD+ sound, are NOT actually broadcasting DD+ sound.
- All the DTH channels are only telecasting upto DD 5.1 sound only.
- I have also seen Star Channels sometime pops up a logo showing DD+ sound. However none of them is telecasting DD+ 7.1 sound. It's DD 5.1 sound only.

Hence, this is another example of...how we customers are always taken for ride by such false claims by Indian companies.

Thanks Technobhatt.

I downloaded a DD+ content from dolby website and played it in my TV ( DD+ capable device) but even my AVR does not show the DD+ in the display.

Could it be the same reason as u said above?

Optical and Coaxial connections do not support Dolby Digital Plus, so when you play Dolby Digital Plus content through optical or coaxial then you will only get regular Dolby Digital output. HDMI supports Dolby Digital Plus, so connect your Tata Sky STB to you AVR with a HDMI cable and check if your getting DD+ stream.

Star India channels have select content encoded with Dolby Digital Plus and Tata SKY's transmission is also done with DD+ stream.

Thanks Technobhatt.

I downloaded a DD+ content from dolby website and played it in my TV ( DD+ capable device) but even my AVR does not show the DD+ in the display.

Could it be the same reason as u said above?

You're welcome.
Now the question is, how you tried to play the DD+ Demo file.

I downloaded 'Mountain Biking-MP4 Large' file from below link and played it through HDD--> BlurayPlayer-->HT-->TV and it showed me DD+ sign.

Download Dolby Digital Plus Demos

If you had played it through TV or Computer (connected to USB and then TV.Computer output to AVR), there may be chance that TV/Computer doesn't support DD+. So it might downconvert it to DD 5.1 and thus you were seeing DD sign.

Update: Just got aware from Nishant's post that Optical output doesn't support DD+ sound. So it brings one more fact that until these DTH providers start supporting MultiChannel audio through HDMI, there is no chance of 7.1 sound, even if channel is broadcasting DD+ 7.1 sound.
However I am certain that, currently none of the HD channels in India broadcast DD+ sound. That means...NO 7.1 content on these channels so far.

Last edited:
I downloaded the drums video ( not sure with the name) and yes I played it in TV that connected to AVR through optical.

My TV supports DD+ ( as per the manual).

So hope it will support if I connect through HDMI.

Thanks all....

Tata sky +hd STB doesn't support dolby digital plus i.e. 7.1 chl as dolby digital plus or DTS HDMA can only be delivered over HDMI. Tata sky +hd stb HDMI output is only delivering 2.0. Chl where as optical/digital is delibering dolby digital i.e. 5.1chl. I booked complaint with Tata Sky that why their STB is not delivering dolby digital plus sound over the HDMI output for two three days they were very active and then suddenly fell silent knowing that it won't be possible untill STB is upgraded either by software if possible or through hardware upgrade if not possible through software. I will again followup will let you know further progress

Tata sky +hd STB doesn't support dolby digital plus i.e. 7.1 chl as dolby digital plus or DTS HDMA can only be delivered over HDMI. Tata sky +hd stb HDMI output is only delivering 2.0. Chl where as optical/digital is delibering dolby digital i.e. 5.1chl.

I have TS HD+ STB and HDMI out does give multi channel sound. Maybe there is a fault with your STB or the HDMI cable.

It does support 5.1 chl over optical/digital but can you confirm by feeding sound over hdmi to your AVR then check how many channels are being delivered to AVR. Awaiting your reply,

It does support 5.1 chl over optical/digital but can you confirm by feeding sound over hdmi to your AVR then check how many channels are being delivered to AVR. Awaiting your reply,

Since day one of my connection 2.5 years now, Tatasky HD + has been broadcasting dolby 5.1 over HDMI. I check almost on daily basis whether i am getting true 5.1 audio. Please check your settings could be something wrong in either Tsky setting or AVR setting.

Speaking of content, when Star movies broadcasts movies like avengers, we have the content which was originally encoded in 7.1 However question is if service provider is down converting the same to 5.1 at their end which wud be wrong. HDMI is very well capable of carrying 7.1. Tsky as usual may be cutting cost on bandwidth issues.

Tata sky isn't transmitting 7.1 audio that's why you don't get dolby true Hd/dts-hdma lamp light up on your receiver. Dolby digital plus programs have 7.1 channel audio but you will get only dolby digital in your receiver as Tata Sky transmits 5.1 only May be because of bandwidth issues.

Hi guys I'm thinking of shifting to tatasky HD from hathway HD as hathway has very few channel in HD so I wanted to know how many HD channels are there on tatasky now which are providing dolby digital audio ? thanks! Plz reply .

DD+ means "UPTO" 7.1 discreat channels.
This does mean though the technology can support 7.1 ,even 5.1 or lesser can be transmitted through DD+

I believe Hathway is offering close to 50 HD channels...not all of them are Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital +......

Go to setting of your tata sky box .. i thing its under user settings the Sound.
You should be able to see options like "PCM, Dolby, Dolby +" you should select Dolby + or Dolby. Then you should be able to see the dolby sign in the AVR.

This worked for me. Also make sure your Avr is in Dolby mode not in stereo or Multi channel stereo.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back