Need end-to-end Help in Designing My Home Theater (Dolby Atmos)

RKL

Hi all,

I am planning to build my small-room home theater system (Dolby Atmos), and I need help for the same. Below are the details -

Room Size : 11 ft X 12 ft X 9 ft (with built in Acoustic Wall and Acoustic False-ceiling)
Visual : I am planning to buy LG OLED 55 C7.
Receiver : I am planning to buy Denon AVR x1400h.
Player : I already have PS4 pro. Thinking of using it as Blue-Ray/UHD player and gaming console both.
Speaker : I am planning to go with 5.2.2 set up. I have already kept in-wall pipes for keeping speakers / woofers / overhead-speakers wires.
Lighting : Lighting system in the rooms is Philips Hue which can be synchronized with sound effects.
Smart : My current home devices (like Lights and curtains) are managed by Amazon Alexa through voice commands which can be synchronized with the home theater devices.

My Expectations
1. Movie experience should be great with audio and visuals both and future-proof.
2. All components should have India Warranty (with extended warranty opt-in) for peace of mind. (service center in Kolkata preferred)
3. I should be able to play sound remotely from other devices with wireless capabilities.
4. Device should be compatible with Philips Hue & Amazon Alexa (for Smart home apps/devices)
4. I have a tight budget for this project, so need to choose component accordingly.

My Questions
1. Can I get a true atmos effect in the said room size?
2. Please advise (pros & cons) with the choice of my receiver and television; should I go for it or rethink? Please suggest if you have other combination in mind.
3. I have choice of two types of speakers (with Denon AVR x1400h); which one should I choose - 80 watt @ 8 ohm /or/ 120 watt @ 6 ohm for the said room size?
4. Please suggest good 5.2.2 speaker package (with tight budget). Please note I also have space crunch for center speaker and two sub-woofers. (Sub-woofer size should not exceed 18 inch X 11 inch and center speaker should not exceed 11 inch X 11 inch)
5. Please suggest wiring AWG cable details. Distance of speakers from my console are listed as - a. SW (both): 3ft (each); b. Center: 3ft; c. Front (Left & Right): 8 ft (each); d. Back (Left & Right): 20 ft (each), e. Overhead (Left & Right): 35 ft (each).
6. Please highlight any compatibility issue, if I miss while buying.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Rahul

Hi

Welcome to HFV!

Firstly you need to read some threads around What Should I buy and Home Theatre designing...there is ample information available which has been posted by our members on their experience in purchases and what is best fit for designing / setting up a dedicated room.

You will need to share what budget you have in hand for this....accordingly then members can start suggesting.....you can also do a bit of window shopping and obtain quotes from various dealers around....we can help to assist in making an informed decision.

You need to audition all the speakers / AVRs that suit your requirements as you are the end user and it should satisfy you......so please audition different brands and models that meet your specific size requirements etc.

Solutions and ideas will pour in from our members as and when they access the posts. We all come from different walks of life....

Dear member,

Thanks a lot :)
I have thought of budget INR 3L maximum for this project (including TV, Receiver, Speakers, Wires and other related components - if I miss anything).

I am reading every thread related to it. I shall keep on posting more here and share the update. I am planning to take audition from ProFX which is near to my home.

It would be great if someone share their experiences / views.

Regards,
Rahul

Can I get a true atmos effect in the said room size?
Room size has no bearing on Atmos. If you can tell the difference between sound around you vs sound above you, then you can get the Atmos effect.

Dear member,

Thanks a lot for the response. The room is a dedicated media room with acoustic soundproofing wall and ceiling. I am not sure but feel that the sound from each channel can be identified separately and will have its own effect.

Regards,
Rahul

Hi,welcome to this sound world.Hope you may have used a HTS/HTIB before,if no its nice you have decided to go with separates.
Regarding you requiring future proof let me tell you one thing,it's a journey we have to decide where to get down (stop)
If you love cinema then Denon will not let you down otherwise you can try Marantz for both music & movies.
In my experience don't rush /hurry have more auditions which will give a clear picture.
I've given a PM,All the very best.

Dear member.

Earlier, I used Sony DAV-TZ145 5.1 in-a-box system (2014 end - 2016 end). In 2018, I will be shifting to my new apartment; so since 2017, I have been setting up a dedicated media room with proper in-wall cabling and acoustic sound proofing. Now the room is ready host AV components. Everything I did till now, is just the outcome of browsing from internet and consulting with some sound designers (they are mainly from recording studio). But, when it comes to a HTS, I thought of consulting with the experts here who are using this and will be able to guide me better.

I am also here to sharing my ideas and helping you all (out of my small knowledge - if any).
Replied to your PM. Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Rahul

Just my opinion,

Instead of setting up 5.2.2 atmos, setup 7.2 channel.

Content availability of Atmos bluray or download is less compared to 7.2 Master HD content.

As you are setting up a dedicated media room, I would recommend you rather consider Denon AVR X2400H or above that are in the mid range segment to have enough head room in terms of power and connectivity for few more years. X1400 is the entry level model and a dedicated setup like yours deserves more than an entry level model IMO.

Cheers!

Dear member,

Thanks a lot :)
I have thought of budget INR 3L maximum for this project (including TV, Receiver, Speakers, Wires and other related components - if I miss anything).

I am reading every thread related to it. I shall keep on posting more here and share the update. I am planning to take audition from ProFX which is near to my home.

It would be great if someone share their experiences / views.

Regards,
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Experiences are shared in the dedicated threads....What should I buy or Home Theatre.....if you want specific feedback on AVRs, see Owners threads of Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha where you will get enough details...

ProFX sells Yamaha AVRs.....Polk Audio speakers....see their T series S series and RTiA series of speakers.....

Usually they rope in 5 to 10% discount.....make sure you demand for it....sometimes other dealers may provide a little better rate......go for it provided there is proper manufacturer warranty.....

As advised....audition as much as you can...this will give you a flair of whats there and what performance meets your expectations...

Most imp....never reveal your TRUE budget to any dealer....just provide dimensions of the room, purpose and type of speakers (Towers, Satellites, Bookshelf).

All the best

Dear members,

Thanks a lot for your responses which is helping me a lot.

Update!

Yesterday I took demo from ProFX. They are insisting me for choosing one of the three speaker packages:

1. Polk TL1600 5.1 + OWM3 (Rs. 56,000/-)
2. Polk T50 + T30 + T15 + PSW 110 + OWM3 (Rs. 73,000/-)
3. Polk S50 + S35 + S10 + PSW 110 + OWM3 (Rs. 1,12,000/-)

They are giving 15% discounts till 31-Dec for any purchase.

Meanwhile I got chance to talk with one of my friend who is using full Denon home theater setup and he suggested me to go for a budget friendly package:
Denon SYS 2020 + OWM3 (Rs. 42000/-) with AVR x1300w.

I am yet to decide the best buy for me.

Regards,
Rahul

You have a good budget and a nicely planned room..

Visual : I am planning to buy LG OLED 55 C7.

I understand, you are looking at OLED.. But, have you considered a projector for a large screen experience..

2. All components should have India Warranty (with extended warranty opt-in) for peace of mind.

Since you have insisted for warranty, Pro Fx would be a better place to buy Denon AVR along with other speakers..

Receiver : I am planning to buy Denon AVR x1400h.

I would suggest you to consider Denon x 3300, a 5.2.2 capable (or) Denon x 4300, a 7.2.4 capable AVR since you have good budget..Also these AVR have Audyssey XT32 digital room correction feature than the Audyssey EQ XT aval in x 1400..

How have you planned for height speaker?.. in-ceiling speaker (or) mounting regular speaker to ceiling?..

Yesterday I took demo from ProFX. They are insisting me for choosing one of the three speaker packages:

You can consider 7/11 identical OWM 3 satellites depending on AVR & layout..

Dear member,

Thanks a lot for your response. Your suggestion is really helpful and it will surely guide me to take the right combo for my mini HT.

I guess my budget is very tight; since 55 inch OLED TV will not be available less than INR 1.75L, so I need to complete everything by INR 1.25L. I am keeping INR 50K for AVR, so I will be having INR 75K remaining for speaker packages, cables, installation and others (if any).

I understand, you are looking at OLED.. But, have you considered a projector for a large screen experience..

Since the room is pre-planned, all the cabinets were made considering a 55inch TV. So, I might not be able to accomodate a projector in it.

Since you have insisted for warranty, Pro Fx would be a better place to buy Denon AVR along with other speakers..

You are correct. I have also thought of that.

I would suggest you to consider Denon x 3300, a 5.2.2 capable (or) Denon x 4300, a 7.2.4 capable AVR since you have good budget..Also these AVR have Audyssey XT32 digital room correction feature than the Audyssey EQ XT aval in x 1400..

I would love to, but not sure, if I can accomodate this in my tight budget. Since the room is pre-planned (for in-Celing speakers), it can support upto 5.2.2 (for extra channel, I need to mount that to the wall).

How have you planned for height speaker?.. in-ceiling speaker (or) mounting regular speaker to ceiling?..

I have provision for In-ceiling speaker since I kept all the wiring within false ceiling for 8 inch speaker installation. Wall mounting speaker will also work for me.

You can consider 7/11 identical OWM 3 satellites depending on AVR & layout..

That's a nice idea. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a demo for this combo and see how it works.

I shall keep you updating about the progress.

Regards,
Rahul

Dear members,

Thanks a lot for your responses which is helping me a lot.

Update!

1. Polk TL1600 5.1 + OWM3 (Rs. 56,000/-)
2. Polk T50 + T30 + T15 + PSW 110 + OWM3 (Rs. 73,000/-)
3. Polk S50 + S35 + S10 + PSW 110 + OWM3 (Rs. 1,12,000/-)

Regards,
Rahul

I have heard all three series of speakers. And I own S15/S35/OWM3 combo. Personally I would suggest something from signature series, like the last one as sound is much better than other two. You can replace S50 by S20/S15 and S10 by OWM 3, there will be further cost saving without much compromise. But for better long term experience, don't go for PSW 110. It is sub-par. From Polk you can go for DSW 550 or from other brands many options are there around 30k mark, lik BIC F12, Emotiva BasX 10, etc.

I would love to, but not sure, if I can accomodate this in my tight budget. Since the room is pre-planned (for in-Celing speakers), it can support upto 5.2.2 (for extra channel, I need to mount that to the wall).

I have provision for In-ceiling speaker since I kept all the wiring within false ceiling for 8 inch speaker installation. Wall mounting speaker will also work for me.

If you can accomodate a pair of in-ceiling speaker, then all you need is 5 speaker & a subwoofer to complete 5.1.2 set-up in your budget..

I am not sure you can get a very good TV + Amp and speaker package for the cost you have mentioned. If you can skip the tv for now you can get a nice 9.2/7.2 speakers with a midrange AVR. In your case your TV itself would take atleast a lakh of cost.

I am not sure you can get a very good TV + Amp and speaker package for the cost you have mentioned. If you can skip the tv for now you can get a nice 9.2/7.2 speakers with a midrange AVR. In your case your TV itself would take atleast a lakh of cost.
Please follow this advice, you have a good budget, first go for a better AVR, seek better components in the audio department. OLED TV technology as of now is very overpriced. Wait for sometime for the technology to settle at reasonable rates. Its makes a lot of sense as of now to invest in the Sound.

Buy a good 7.2 or 9.2 or 11.2 reciever and quality speakers first.

If you want to do the biggest favour to youself, buy a projector. These days you can get good 1080p projector in the range of 60k - 70k.

Watching movies on a projector is the way to go.

Dear member,

Thanks a lot for your response. Your suggestion is really helpful and it will surely guide me to take the right combo for my mini HT.

I guess my budget is very tight; since 55 inch OLED TV will not be available less than INR 1.75L, so I need to complete everything by INR 1.25L. I am keeping INR 50K for AVR, so I will be having INR 75K remaining for speaker packages, cables, installation and others (if any).

Since the room is pre-planned, all the cabinets were made considering a 55inch TV. So, I might not be able to accomodate a projector in it.

You are correct. I have also thought of that.

That's a nice idea. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a demo for this combo and see how it works.

I shall keep you updating about the progress.

Regards,
Rahul

Dear Rahul,

Do something to accommodate a projector
As you said "Since the room is pre-planned, all the cabinets were made considering a 55inch TV. So, I might not be able to accomodate a projector in it."

Please think hard over this problem, do modification to the cabinets, it won't cost much in comparison to the gains you will make for your overall HT experience and you will realize this sooner or later.

To me a HT setup without a projector setup is just unimaginable

I would suggest you to consider Denon x 3300, a 5.2.2 capable (or) Denon x 4300, a 7.2.4 capable AVR since you have good budget..Also these AVR have Audyssey XT32 digital room correction feature than the Audyssey EQ XT aval in x 1400.

Rahul, Don’t make haste dear, follow the advice, make it possible.

In setting up HT always follow the mantra of " Big picture big sound".

The path to audio video nirvana, no doubt is difficult, but a true enthusiast spirit overcomes all obstacles.

With this i rest my case

Hi Rahul....I have just read your post... and got down to typing straight away. If you want to have a atmos 2.0 setup in a 11x12 ft room, then you need small speakers. I have a atmos 7.2.4 system in a 11x17 room. And my speakers are small.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back