Need guidance on building custom speakers

rahulavachat

Hello Friends !

I need some help from you as I have a plan to build my custom floor standing speakers from available sony speakers I have.

What I have with me is... see attached image as well.

Front Speakers - SS-RV990 - 2 nos.
Accepts impedence of 6 to 16 Ohms
Sub Woofer 1 - 15cm cone type
Woofer 1 - 15cm cone type
Tweeter 1 - 5cm cone type
Nominal Impedence 6 ohms

Surround Speakers - SS-RSV60 2 nos.
Woofer 1 - 13cm cone type
Super Tweeter 1 - 2cm cone type
Nominal impedence - 24 ohms

All i have is...
Mid Range - 4
Low Frequency - 2
Tweeters - 4
Super Tweeters - 2

I have Denon AVR 1311 which has following front LR output...
Front L/R 75 W + 75 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz) / 110 W + 110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz)

Now out of above given speaker availability, can i build two floor standing speakers which are compatible with my AVR. I am not too techno guy and i dont want to risk my AVR/AMP by connecting non compatible speakers.

Please recommend me combinations and crossover needs. Also be frank if nothing can be produced out of these speakers.

Regards
Thank in Advance
Rahul

Attachments

• SONY-MHC-RV-60.jpg
    SONY-MHC-RV-60.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 201
Hello Friends !

I need some help from you as I have a plan to build my custom floor standing speakers from available sony speakers I have.

What I have with me is... see attached image as well.

Front Speakers - SS-RV990 - 2 nos.
Accepts impedence of 6 to 16 Ohms
Sub Woofer 1 - 15cm cone type
Woofer 1 - 15cm cone type
Nominal Impedence 6 ohms

Surround Speakers - SS-RSV60 2 nos.
Woofer 1 - 13cm cone type
Super Tweeter 1 - 2cm cone type
Nominal impedence - 24 ohms

All i have is...
Mid Range - 4
Low Frequency - 2
Tweeters - 4
Super Tweeters - 2

I have Denon AVR 1311 which has following front LR output...
Front L/R 75 W + 75 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz) / 110 W + 110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz)

Now out of above given speaker availability, can i build two floor standing speakers which are compatible with my AVR. I am not too techno guy and i dont want to risk my AVR/AMP by connecting non compatible speakers.

Please recommend me combinations and crossover needs. Also be frank if nothing can be produced out of these speakers.

Regards
Thank in Advance
Rahul

Have you tried playing the Sony boxes directly with your Denon ?.
I have a doubt that the Sony 6 ohms speaker will be able to handle 110W RMS power in a long run.

Hi!!

If I may remember , there is a Person in Navasahaydri near Tol hospital who has a small amp/speaker building shop.
Some chaudhary , his name was. We used to make DIY projects when in college using his help.
Will try to get his address.

You will need to get cross overs too . Did not see it the list.
Alternatively you may visit the electronic market near Shaniwarwada where you will find empty cabinets and may be xovers too.

You may find some assembled cheap wood cabinet speakers. Believe me they are surprisingly good.

Thanks-

Update : Need guidance on building custom speakers

Hello Guys

As i mentioned in my previous post that I am building floor standing speakers out of stock speakers (Sony) from my very old Sony Hi-Fi system.

Now the project is complete and speakers sound just amazing.

Configuration - pair of floor standing speakers

3 way speaker system
2 - Tweeters - 1.5" make Sony
1 - Mid range driver - 5.5" make Sony
2 - Woofers - 5.5" make Sony
1 - Passive 3-way crossover from Wintek (8 ohms, 3 inductor)
1 - Flared port tube - 4.5" X 6"
1 - MX speaker terminal
Box - built out of 10 mm particle board
Spikes - Used 1.5" stainless steel 6mm level adjustable studs from hardware store, did not purchase specific spikes
Body color - black roller painted oil paint

Box has 3 partitions dedicated to each type of driver and internally its insulated with foam.

Right now, body looks little unfinished but i was more keen on output. Now when speakers are completed a month ago, tested for sound quality on various levels and various types of formats. I am quite happy with the output.

Now I can invest more in furnishing it with black carbon fibre sheet or vinyls to make it look more attractive.

See the photos - sorry for bad quality, it was clicked from my cellphone.

Thanks Guys
Regards
Rahul

Attachments

• Crossover-Terminal-PortTube.jpg
    Crossover-Terminal-PortTube.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Drivers.jpg
    Drivers.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 147
  • FloorStanding-AlmostReady-01.jpg
    FloorStanding-AlmostReady-01.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 148
  • FloorStanding-AlmostReady-02.jpg
    FloorStanding-AlmostReady-02.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 148
Hi Rahul,
Great build. How did you manage to open the Sony boxes & dismantle the drivers. I have the same boxes but could not find the way to retrieve the drivers without damaging the cabinets. The 4 nos. of allen bolts on the front face seem to made up of plastic & i could not open it with allen wrench.
Please help.
Regards
Prasad

Hey Prasad

Thanks for the comment.

Dismantling is quite easy.

Forget the allen bolts as they are just there for show. Wooden box and plastic front are either pasted or interlocked with each other. To take them out, you just need 2-3 flat and wide head screw drivers. Turn the box upside down, means we need to start from bottom portion to remove them.

You will find small joint line between plastic and wooden body. Take first screw driver, start from mid of bottom. Try to insert screw driver in that gap, try in angular fashion. Mostly, screw f=driver will go in easily when you point it toward fron of speaker. little push and plastic will move a little. Try and slide the screw driver forward and backword in the gap. Doing this will release the adhesive (if used) and will try to loosen the engagement. Pust it little harder, it will open up a litle. Keep that screw driver engaged in that place and pick another. Insert second screw driver in the same gap but far from frst location. Repeat the same action.

This way you can loosen up all the side and at one moment, entire all side gap will increase to almost quarter inch.

Done, then you can easily pull out the front from back. But speaker wires will be still attached between back and speakers installed on front plastic. It wires are connected to speakers with connectors, pull those off so front is totally free to move out.

Second part is removing speakers from plastic casing. You will find that, all the drivers are screwed in "in side out" fashioned. So remove all screwes and all done.

In my case, tweeters were installed in front of mids and woofer, so i could reach to tweeters only after removing overlapping drivers.

Hope, you will benefit from this advise. Do let me know.

Best Luck
Rahul

Please note: these wooden boxes are made out of poorest quality particle board, not MDF, so you can not ensure that your boxes are not be damaged. Plastic remains intact 100% but you may get one or two small wounds at the starting point where you are inserting screw driver at first place. Thats why i recommend to start from bottom as those wounds of box are not visible. Mine remained 99% intact as i went too slow in removing process.

Last edited:
Hi Rahul,

I did manage to open & reassemble the box with a set of screw drivers.

However i was surprised to see that there is no crossover in it. All three drivers are connected in parallel. The midrange & the woofers have massive magnets but they dont depict any impedance rating.

How did you find out the impedance? What were the factors deciding for the "Wintec" cross overs. I wonder what will be resultant impedance of your speakers.

Anyway thanks for your guidance now i can plan for speakers with these drivers.

Prasad

Hey Prasad, good to know you could open the boxes.

Yes, it has no crossovers in it, just resistors to each speakers. Secondly same was the case with me as no driver had any rating of Ohms on it. but boxes show up some Ohms on back, I guess 26 Ohms is printed on rear speakers and 18 ohms on front speakers.

To find out impedance of each driver, separate those, I used digital multimeter. And the i found out more information from net about how impedence is affected by connecting speakers in series or parallel.

Selecting crossovers, i wanted 3 way crossover as wanted to put low, mid and highs in each tower. Secondly my denon AVR supports 6 Ohms and 8 Ohms. So i wanted to bring down impedence to 8 or 6 ohms, so i connected each type of driver parallel so reduce the Ohms to 8. Also wintec 3 way passive crossover supports 8 ohms, perfect fit for my need. Though was not sure how wintec will perform, but took a risk of 1600 Rs. and bought it.

That worked well in my case.

Your last question, resultant impedence... after connecting each type of driver in prallel, as per multimeter it was odd, not precisely 8 ohms, but was very close to it. Remaining taken care by Wintec crossover as receiver sends signal to wintec and then wintec pushes it to 8.

All the best for your build.

Regards
Rahul

Rahulavachat,

Can you please upload a close up picture of tweeters. I wanna see how you installed them as they are different from the other drivers and may need different type of cutting.

Hi jmascreen !

I remember i used 2-3 websites to calculate the box dimensions, but myself not being techie, i was totally confused. Some calculator on some website shown me 55-56 liter should be the volume for my type of 3 way drivers. Initially i wanted to go with W6" X H42" X D10", but that cabinet would have been very narrow inside to install the drivers screws as driver frame itself was 7 inched. So I tweaked dimensions to 9" X 42" X 9". and achieved 55 liters of volume.

Also, the drivers i had are from Sony hifi system and had no information printed on it such as Ohms, Frequency response etc. so to feed that data in calculators was not possible. I just found out the Ohms using multi meter.

I am not sure whether this is perfect best calculation or not but these towers sound great for my living area of W11ft X H10ft X D14ft.

Regards
Rahul

Rahulavachat,

Can you please upload a close up picture of tweeters. I wanna see how you installed them as they are different from the other drivers and may need different type of cutting.
Hello Ketan !

I will take the closeups of tweeters installation. Its quite simple as i installed all drivers from inside of the box on 10 mm board. The brackets of tweeters were L shaped so circular metal outline of tweeter completely touches the board but hex nut is far by 1 CM from board.

Will upload the pics soon.

Regards
Rahul

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back