Need guidance on what to buy

Avinash Pai

Hello,

I am looking at upgrading my 10 year + AVR and speakers (Denon AVR 1507 receiver and Jamo E660 floor standing speakers). I would like some guidance around what to go for with a budget of between 1L-1.2L. I would be using this mainly for listening to music (Hi quality FLAC files streamed from phone or TV). Very little of TV and content from the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc. So 80-90 per cent music and the rest streaming TV.

I was looking for advice specifically on:

1. Should I look at an AVR or look for a stereo receiver? I researched online and found the Yamaha R N-803D quite attractive with 100W of power per channel at 8 Ohms. But then when I looked at the Yamaha RX V685 receiver, it was available at almost similar price points with added video and other capabilities. Is there anything else I can consider at this price point of between 50k-60k that can drive good speakers for listening to music.

2. I had heard good things about the Polk Audio signature series and was specifically looking at S55. It costs about 56k and has a 20-200W power rating. I plan to audition these in Pro FX Bangalore. What other speakers of similar output are good for music listening.

Thanks much.
Avinash

Hi avinash...

Since audio is more important for you, my advise would be to go for that yamaha RN 803D. You can always connect your tv via optical-in. The yamaha also has the streaming smarts, so will open up a world of possibilities in digital music. It comes with yamaha's musicast built in. So you can control the streaming from the music cast app on a tablet.

The yamaha's are neutral and musical sounding amps. And the polks can be easily pushed into sounding bright. So polks are only to be used with warm sounding electronics. So the polks will not be a ideal pairing for the yamaha. Ideally look for warm sounding speakers to go with the yamaha's neutrality.

And please dont even consider the yamaha avr for your requirements. The yamaha RN803D will sound miles better for the same money. All the best.

Thanks for inputs. I was really confused about the AVR Vs the amp for music especially given the price overlaps by the same manufacturer. This really helps clear the air - The Yamaha Amp is much better than the Yamaha AVR for listening to music although both are at similar price points.

I will be auditioning these out at Pro Fx later this week. So will look at the pairing between Polk and 803D. What would you suggest with the 803D if not Polk at similar price points - 50k-60k for floor standing speakers?

Thanks.

Also the music I listen to is quite eclectic - Pink Floyd, Camel, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Metallica, Hindustani, Western Classical etc. I have these songs on my phone in FLAC format to stream when auditioning but I am not sure there will be time to audition all these types. The Jamo that I own currently is a fairly good speaker. So the new speakers have to be better for me. And going online to look at speakers just makes it all the more confusing. Hundreds of brands and models make it hard to decide which speakers I pick.

Also the music I listen to is quite eclectic - Pink Floyd, Camel, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Metallica, Hindustani, Western Classical etc. I have these songs on my phone in FLAC format to stream when auditioning but I am not sure there will be time to audition all these types. The Jamo that I own currently is a fairly good speaker. So the new speakers have to be better for me. And going online to look at speakers just makes it all the more confusing. Hundreds of brands and models make it hard to decide which speakers I pick.

Haha!!
Firstly, welcome to the forum and more importantly welcome to the madness!!
If you are happy with the sound signature of your current setup, but want streaming convenience, just add a Chromecast-Audio to the mix.
Else the hunt begins and you need to audition stereo amps and/or speakers.
To get a better feel of systems, connect with local FMs and hear rigs in home environment.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi avinash...the only correct way ahead is to listen to as many system as you can, as raghu correctly pointed above. This will give you different combinations of possibilities at different price points. And Bangalore is a city with a large dealer base for auditions too. So let the dealer know your budget and see what he suggests. And go with a open mind to try as many possibilities as possible. And dont restrict yourself to any particular make or model. You might be surprised with what you eventually end up with. And take your time to research all available options. We have a very active Hyderabad chapter where we frequently have group audio sessions. If something like that can be initiated in Bangalore it would be really nice. Just post out a message requesting forum members to let you in for a listen. There should be quite a few guys willing to accommodate

Haha!!
Firstly, welcome to the forum and more importantly welcome to the madness!!
If you are happy with the sound signature of your current setup, but want streaming convenience, just add a Chromecast-Audio to the mix.
Else the hunt begins and you need to audition stereo amps and/or speakers.
To get a better feel of systems, connect with local FMs and hear rigs in home environment.

Cheers,
Raghu
I use a bluetooth receiver/transmitter or hook up my phone with a 3.5mm jack currently. But I really wanted something better now. Thanks.

Hi avinash...the only correct way ahead is to listen to as many system as you can, as raghu correctly pointed above. This will give you different combinations of possibilities at different price points. And Bangalore is a city with a large dealer base for auditions too. So let the dealer know your budget and see what he suggests. And go with a open mind to try as many possibilities as possible. And dont restrict yourself to any particular make or model. You might be surprised with what you eventually end up with. And take your time to research all available options. We have a very active Hyderabad chapter where we frequently have group audio sessions. If something like that can be initiated in Bangalore it would be really nice. Just post out a message requesting forum members to let you in for a listen. There should be quite a few guys willing to accommodate

Thanks. That does make sense. I plan to audition at Pro fx this week and perhaps Cinebals and another place in JP Nagar too.

I use a bluetooth receiver/transmitter or hook up my phone with a 3.5mm jack currently. But I really wanted something better now. Thanks.
Thanks. That does make sense. I plan to audition at Pro fx this week and perhaps Cinebals and another place in JP Nagar too.

BT and 3.5 mm can be found wanting. Seriously try a Chromecast Audio puck.
Source it from US for $15. It has a decent DAC (for the price point) and option of optical out.
If visiting ProFx, give the KEFs a listen; they will lure you :p
By JP Nagar, I think you mean HTStore; they have a wider choice of brands. Lokesh is a nice guy to consult.
Cheers,
Raghu

BT and 3.5 mm can be found wanting. Seriously try a Chromecast Audio puck.
Source it from US for $15. It has a decent DAC (for the price point) and option of optical out.
If visiting ProFx, give the KEFs a listen; they will lure you :p
By JP Nagar, I think you mean HTStore; they have a wider choice of brands. Lokesh is a nice guy to consult.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu. Will listen to the KEF too. Although the price points seemed out of my budget in the Pro Fx Website. I assume they would provide a discount of some sorts on those list prices.

Welcome to the forum

Since you are planning to listen to music a lot, I recommend Marantz 5013 or 6013 AV Receiver.
Use the existing speakers with it and see.

If you would like to upgrade speakers as well, you may consider SVS, B&W etc. as well.

I went to Pro FX yesterday for a demo of the Polk S55. They sounded ok not much better than my current Jamos. In fact I think my Jamos were better. I auditioned the Kefs while I was there. Q500 and Q700. They sounded very nice. And the good thing was that they were at a deep discount because of the new models. 40 per cent of. I have picked up the Q700s for 57k. And the Yamaha Rn803 stereo receiver for 53k. Thanks for all the help guys.

Update - So I got the KEF Q700s installed a couple of days ago. The Yamaha RN803 they have still not received so Pro FX have provided the Yamaha RN602 as a standby. I must say I am very pleased about the sound from these speakers. Have been playing FLAC and Tidal over plex through the RN602. The mids and highs are as clean as they come. The bass is good without being overpoweringly boomy. Just the way I love it since there is a detail to the music which is what I am going to use this mainly for. Every instrument can be heard in detail like the band is performing at home. I must say the 57k for these speakers seems very reasonable given the original cost of 95k. I must test the new versions of these speakers as well - the KefQ750.

Update - So I got the KEF Q700s installed a couple of days ago. The Yamaha RN803 they have still not received so Pro FX have provided the Yamaha RN602 as a standby. I must say I am very pleased about the sound from these speakers. Have been playing FLAC and Tidal over plex through the RN602. The mids and highs are as clean as they come. The bass is good without being overpoweringly boomy. Just the way I love it since there is a detail to the music which is what I am going to use this mainly for. Every instrument can be heard in detail like the band is performing at home. I must say the 57k for these speakers seems very reasonable given the original cost of 95k. I must test the new versions of these speakers as well - the KefQ750.
Did u give rti a7s a chance?
Infact i was interested in their comparison with kefs

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back