Need HDMI output from 3 yrs old PC - Possible ?

elangoas

Hi ppl,

I got hold of an old PC (CPU alone) from my friend...Below are the specifications.....

Mother board - ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus - ASUS - Motherboards- M2N-MX SE Plus

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 + (2.4 Ghz).

RAM - Dynet DDR2 800 2G (2GB)

Power supply - ATX Switching

HD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

DVD Player - Sony

Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse...

Temporarily using the VGA port on the CPU and connected directly to my Sony LCD TV...There seems to be a digital co-axial out @ the back of the CPU...But unable to plug it in correctly....Never mind...

Can i add an HDMI output to this CPU? I intend to use HDMI connection --> AVR --> and use Sony 46 Inches LCD TV as the monitor.... Reason behind this is to eliminate VGA cable & Co-axial cable & juz replace with one HDMI cable.....

Primary used by my wife for browsing, playing games on facebook & few other sites....Would also be interested in playing reasonably good HD games....

1) Please recommend a graphics card with HDMI output..
2) There are 2 slots for the RAM..Currently one is being used...Can i add an other 2GB of DDR2 RAM of 600/800/1000?

Not possible! even if you have a dvi port u can use DVI to HDMI converter but it'll only have video signal.. so forget about using it with your avr.
Best solution for you is go for a graphics card with hdmi port..any low end amd or nvidia card will do the job for you.. good luck :)

Not possible! even if you have a dvi port u can use DVI to HDMI converter but it'll only have video signal.. so forget about using it with your avr.
Best solution for you is go for a graphics card with hdmi port..any low end amd or nvidia card will do the job for you.. good luck :)

Thanx...Any specific model that you would recommend..?

Buy a basic graphics card like nVidia GT520 or equivalent amd card. They have HD audio passthrough and 3D blu-ray support. I'm using GT520.

Many thanx...My memory inside the CPU is 2 GB RAM DDR type...But the graphics card you mentioned has a specification of 1 GB DDR3 card...

ZOTAC NVIDIA Geforce GT 520 Synergy Edition 1 GB GDDR3 Graphics Card - ZOTAC: Flipkart.com

Sorry if the Q was stupid....

Also what about additional RAM which i wanted to add? Can i add an other 2 GB of DDR2 RAM to my CPU ?

GPU RAM and MOBO RAM are different entities.

You can add another 2GB module of the same speed as that of the existing ram. If possible use ram of same make.

I use the same zotac card. Bought a used one for 1.5K. 1GB GPU is enough and no need to go for 2GB ones.

Thanx all for your inputs...

I have noticed that when my wife is playing some facebook games like Criminal case & candy crush, the video refresh happens in slow motion :eek:hyeah:...

Does this mean that the integrated video card on the MOBO is not capable of handling 1080p over VGA ? (or) is the RAM insufficient ?

All other things like browsing is good...But sometimes the system takes a second to respond to our activites....

Appreciate you insights on the above...

A dedicated video card will outperform on board graphics as it has dedicated processor & memory.Check the power supply compatibility.This board has PCI express 16X slot & is running at full speed.So HD GC with HDMI out will do all the job.

The motherboard you purchased uses nVidia 6100 graphics processor which was never meant for full HD playback. Check this article for more info.
As other forum members have pointed, a dedicated graphics card may solve your problem. I recommend borrowing a graphics card first and then test it out on your system before investing money on a new one. Also I would suggest that you check if you have all necessary drivers installed. Choppy display may be due to lack of proper drivers.

The difficulty is, i stay 45 Kms away from chennai....When i speak to the localities here about Graphics card with HDMI output, there are not very confident about it.... They don't get in to details... Very generic answers which am not convinced with...

Just now i spoke to a dealer regading GC with HDMI output based on FM suggestions that you had given... His answers were not convincing...

Is it something that i can do it myself by ordering the GC from flipkart ? (or) does it need some technical skills to do that ?

The difficulty is, i stay 45 Kms away from chennai....When i speak to the localities here about Graphics card with HDMI output, there are not very confident about it.... They don't get in to details... Very generic answers which am not convinced with...

Just now i spoke to a dealer regading GC with HDMI output based on FM suggestions that you had given... His answers were not convincing...

Is it something that i can do it myself by ordering the GC from flipkart ? (or) does it need some technical skills to do that ?

Order the gpu online from flipkart or ebay. You can install it easily yourself or get the service of a system assembler if you don't know how to do it.

Order the gpu online from flipkart or ebay. You can install it easily yourself or get the service of a system assembler if you don't know how to do it.

Zotac GT520 is not aval in flipkart.....

There is Delta peripherals, Ritchie street, Chennai...Very popular...I can pick it up directly from that store...

Graphic Cards - www.deltapage.com

Could you please recommend a GPU from this page.....

Also i searched for DDR2 RAM on this page...I found this...Hope i can add this to my PC

Transcend DDR2 800MHz 2GB (Desktop) - www.deltapage.com

You can go for AMD 6450 or GeForce GT 610. Both support HD audio bitstreaming and 3D blu-ray. 6450 is fanless and will be silent. With ZOTAC you gets 3 year additional warranty on registering the product.

You can also go for the Transcend 2GB RAM if your existing one is also 800MHz.

Last edited:
You can go for AMD 6450 or GeForce GT 610. Both supports HD audio bitstreaming and 3D blu-ray. 6450 is fanless and will be silent. With ZOTAC you gets 3 year additional warranty on registering the product.

You can also go for the Transcend 2GB RAM if your existing one is also 800MHz.

Many thanx...Today i took the CPU to the localite & he told that if i add a GPU like Zotac GT520 to the existing mother board, chances are that i might get a blue screen...

I highly doubt that...Could you please clarify..

Chances of a blue screen is very very rare. It may happen if the power supply is not adequate. Driver conflicts if any can be solved by uninstalling the onboard graphics driver or by a fresh installation of Windows. Go ahead and buy the card.

Chances of a blue screen is very very rare. It may happen if the power supply is not adequate. Driver conflicts if any can be solved by uninstalling the onboard graphics driver or by a fresh installation of Windows. Go ahead and buy the card.

Thanx again... Will get them,fix it & update this thread...

You wont get a blue screen. Trust me. While buying the graphics card, please make sure of the following things.
1. HDMI port available? (some cards come with only DVI ports. you will have to go through the hassle of buying a special DVI - HDMI convertor)
2. Uses PCIeX16 slot (its generally written on the box)
3. Does not require PCIe power connector (more powerful graphics card require additional power and since we do not know the condition or specs of power supply its better that you go for a passively powered graphics card)

GT520 for one does not require external power.

On a side note, are you interested in buying second hand RAM. I am selling 2GB DDR2 Kingston RAM with life time warranty. Please do check the sales thread if interested.

If you are able to post on this forum by yourself flipkart should not be your problem. They do offer Cash on Delivery option and hence you may even place the order without online payment hasstles.

You wont get a blue screen. Trust me. While buying the graphics card, please make sure of the following things.
1. HDMI port available? (some cards come with only DVI ports. you will have to go through the hassle of buying a special DVI - HDMI convertor)
2. Uses PCIeX16 slot (its generally written on the box)
3. Does not require PCIe power connector (more powerful graphics card require additional power and since we do not know the condition or specs of power supply its better that you go for a passively powered graphics card)

GT520 for one does not require external power.

On a side note, are you interested in buying second hand RAM. I am selling 2GB DDR2 Kingston RAM with life time warranty. Please do check the sales thread if interested.

Thanx for detailed answers.. Now am in a better position to understand...

Does this card require additional power ?

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 : ZT-60602-10L - www.deltapage.com

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back