Need help choosing my first HT!

SandeepGhosh

Hi All

I am planning to buy my 1st ever HT. my budget is 15k, can extend to 18k. below information might help you guiding me.

1. Room size is not so big, 100 sq. ft.
  2. Mostly will be used for watching movies using pen drive.
  3. Will use it with my Airtel DTH, some HD channels provide Dolby Digital Sound effect.
  4. Using pendrive it should support all kind of latest movie format available currently,i.e. .mkv, .mp4 etc. I would prefer the Home Theater DivX HD or DivX HD+ certified.
  5. Should have Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Pro Logic II built in, so that it can upstream 2-channel music to 5-channel.
  6. Should have SPDIF/IN Optical or HDMI IN connection, so that I can use it with my DTH easily.

I have shortlisted some HT..

1. Philips HTB3520 - It has everything I need except Dolby Pro Logic! :sad: It also fits my budget.
  2. Sony HT-IV300 - It has everything I need.

The thing is that difference between the philips and the sony model is approx 4k, and the only significant difference which I need is Dolby Pro Logic.

I need some help from you guys, does the Dolby Pro Logic really as good as they say?? that it upstreams 2 channel sound into surround sound really well? What happens if I buy the philips one without Dolby Pro Logic. What will happen if I play a 2-channel audio with it? will only the front speakers will play or all of them will play? How much will be difference, with and without Dolby Pro Logic?? Is it really worth spending 4k more?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back