Need Help!!...For a Decent Stereo set up

raruntvm

Hello All

First of all i beg your pardon if it sounds funny to you for the description below but am not a tech guy :eek:

Am from Bangalore. All these days i was using my creative 5.1 surrounds and i know the sound quality difference between 5.1 surrounds and stereos. Now I am planning to get a decent stereo set up mostly for music and sometimes for movies as well.

With my total budget ranging from 30K-40K whats in my mind is a Stereo Amplifier + Bookshelf Speaker + Subwoofer with PC as my source for audio signals.

Stereo Amplifier should have a minimum of 60-100Watts per channel @ 8 ohms and should be able to support one subwoofer. Please give me suggestions for good stereo amplifiers supporting these requirements.

Bookshelf speakers will be a 3 way speaker set up which can provide me crystal clear sound. Both Bookshelf and subwoofer am planning to get it done using Dainty Speakers(don't know other good brands) in Bangalore.
Please give me your ideas and suggestions on what size of speakers to use, which brand other than Dainty is good to use etc..Please help me to make this speaker set up.

i hope ill get enough ideas and suggestions from an expert like you.

Thanks in Advance.

I doubt you will get an amplifier giving out that power in your entire budget. That aside, for music I feel you can skip the sub for now. 3 way bookshelves, again I am doubtful. Excellent 2 way speakers from Dali, Polk, elac, Q acoustics should prove to be good, unless you have auditioned them and found them to be sub par.

To connect to a PC you will need a DAC, how good or bad, how big how small, amp type, is all on your choice and budget. There are certain amps like the newer Marantz that come with built in DACs. They accept digital inputs.

Dainty, sorry I do not have much idea on them. Would love to know about them though.

Have you auditioned or shortlisted any components so far ?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

I doubt you will get an amplifier giving out that power in your entire budget. That aside, for music I feel you can skip the sub for now. 3 way bookshelves, again I am doubtful. Excellent 2 way speakers from Dali, Polk, elac, Q acoustics should prove to be good, unless you have auditioned them and found them to be sub par.

To connect to a PC you will need a DAC, how good or bad, how big how small, amp type, is all on your choice and budget. There are certain amps like the newer Marantz that come with built in DACs. They accept digital inputs.

Dainty, sorry I do not have much idea on them. Would love to know about them though.

Have you auditioned or shortlisted any components so far ?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3
Thank you MaSh for your reply!!!

Sad to hear that i may not get an amp in this whole budget. After reading in this forum i knew that Marantz is a good brand to choose from. Searching internet i found Marantz M-CR511 which have a sub out with 60w/channel @4 ohms(don't know is this enough for me ), & i don't know whether it takes input audio signals from a pc. If you can share any specific models that will be a great help for me.

Honestly ill tell you that i haven't auditioned any new stereo systems. A good quality sound i remember was from my childhood days when my cousin brother had one assembled stereo set up with 3 way speakers.

Dainty Speakers are local made i guess and i think i can get it from SP road bangalore.

Rajdeep Electronics

i have to get each speakers and have to build my own(sad but true).

Is 2 way speakers better than 3 way speakers?

Thank you MaSh for your reply!!!

Sad to hear that i may not get an amp in this whole budget. After reading in this forum i knew that Marantz is a good brand to choose from. Searching internet i found Marantz M-CR511 which have a sub out with 60w/channel @4 ohms(don't know is this enough for me ), & i don't know whether it takes input audio signals from a pc. If you can share any specific models that will be a great help for me.

Honestly ill tell you that i haven't auditioned any new stereo systems. A good quality sound i remember was from my childhood days when my cousin brother had one assembled stereo set up with 3 way speakers.

Dainty Speakers are local made i guess and i think i can get it from SP road bangalore.

I have to get each speakers and have to build my own(sad but true).

Is 2 way speakers better than 3 way speakers?

That Marantz I guess is a network player. An excellent component if you are going to use your local wifi network to stream. You could also look at MARANTZ PM 5005 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER which does not have a built in DAC. You could use an external DAC which gives you more options and flexibilty. However, if you want to keep it simple, you could take a look at MARANTZ PM6006 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER which has digital inputs, at a slightly higer price point. There are similar amps from NAD and Denon too.

Try visiting Pro FX, HT Store, DNI in Bangalore to audition different amp speaker combinations.

For a 2 way vs 3 way, take a look this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5d0GQpeZto. In my opinion you can pick a good 2 way bookshelf and use the saved money on a good DAC, interconnects, cables, stands, etc.

MaSh

It will be difficult if not impossible to get all three in that price range.
Do consider used gear, good amps if well maintained even if they are a decade old are of great value.
As suggested already forget about the subwoofer at the moment, hear some quality bookshelf speakers from KEF, Dali, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio and others.
For a VFM option look at Norge, for the price you pay the amps are quite good.

Well now am thinking of getting Norge Concerto Gold 1000
after reading others suggestions i felt its good to go. Sadly i dont have an option to audition it in banglore or if am wrong please let me kNow if there is any place here in Bangalore to audition it. Speakers am thinking to DIY.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

I should also add (before you finalize an amp with DAC or a network receiver), as to whether your PC has an optical out
Some of the amps have an optical in while others have USB in
So keep that in mind

***** optical cable is one of the ways of transporting audio digitally
Coaxial is the other common method
USB is the third method - fits into your USB slot, so you don't have to worry about it

Coaxial is not usually found on PC/laptops, but some motherboards have an optical out

Well now am thinking of getting Norge Concerto Gold 1000
after reading others suggestions i felt its good to go. Sadly i dont have an option to audition it in banglore or if am wrong please let me kNow if there is any place here in Bangalore to audition it. Speakers am thinking to DIY.

You can use a very value priced DAC like Fiio K1 between your PC and the Norge Concerto amplifier to get a significant improvement in sound vs your PC output

Rather taking output from pc and giving input to DAC if we had some sort of DAC card which we can directly plug into computer pci slot i felt its lot more easier. Is there any pci card of that kind is available in market??

Rather taking output from pc and giving input to DAC if we had some sort of DAC card which we can directly plug into computer pci slot i felt its lot more easier. Is there any pci card of that kind is available in market??

Asus and Creative are two well known brands in PCI soundcard market.

However, the internal soundcard is a declining market as majority of manufacturers focus on standalone DACs. There are a few USB stick type DACs like Audioquest Dragonfly which are well rated but somewhat expensive, given your budget.

The Fiio K1 I had recommended is priced under 3K, so well within your budget and rated pretty well

raruntvm, do look at this sale listing:
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owne...-pulz-pre-rs-100-power-rs-250-amplifiers.html

These should take care of your music needs well. They'll leave you enough balance to get a soundcard or a DAC. And maybe even a pair of stands (that I would highly recommend). On stands, those speakers give out all the bass you'll need for enjoying most genres of music well, and I don't think you'll need a subwoofer, unless you're an out and out basshead who likes to listen to bass.

If you look at the older "for sale" listings, you should find a couple of Asus Xonar STX/ST cards (PCI-e/PCI) for sale. You might have to go back quite a bit though, so I'd suggest using a google search.

Alternatively, you can put in a "Wanted" listing here for these cards (or for an ESI Juli@ PCI card). They used to be 8K-10K (new) and they were much sought-after a few years back. You should get them for a very reasonable figure now.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back