Need help for basic HTPC

mgdelhi

Hi guys.

First of all let me tell you that I am total newbie in field of HTPC. I have occasionally read few posts about them.

I have recently upgraded my computer and it left some hardware with me. After reading some posts today on the forum, suddenly I thought that there is a possibility that I can use my existing hardware to make an entry level HTPC. Then I read more threads on HTPC.

This is just for trial purpose and not for my main set-up. So, I can compromise on looks and speed.

List of my existing hardware:

* Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHz Processor
* Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Motherboard
* 2GB DDR2 RAM
* PowerColor HD4350 512MB HDMI Graphic Card.
* 500GB 2.5 SATA Internal HDD
* An entry level iBall Cabinet / SMPS.
* Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse

I am going to connect this HTPC to Denon 1312 and 32 1080p LCD. (These things already have a APC 1100 VA UPS).

I want to have DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True-HD but with the minimum knowledge I gathered (which could be wrong), I understand that HD4350 cant do it. The bare minimum is HD5450 for that. So, the initial setup is going to be with HD4350 and if I like everything else, I will buy HD5450 (1.8k on flipkart).

I have legal Windows XP, Windows 7 Windows 8 keys. Which one will be the best for XBMC with above configuration.

Please suggest me what other hardware/software do I need. Any link for remote controller will be highly appreciated. And if that remote and sensor are Logitech harmony compatible, nothing like it. :)

The above hardware is very good for htpc purpose. As you pointed out you will need a new GPU to enjoy HD audio. But how many HD audio movies you have?

As per discussions in XBMC forum, Windows 8 is a very good platform for xbmc. It has much faster bootup time than Win7. I will suggest either Windows 7 or 8.

There is one HP MCE remote control for sale in the forum by FM 'YPS'. It is a very good remote control and is compatible with Logitech Harmony.

Using MCE remotes is very easy as it is a plug and play device and one important advantage of MCE is that you can tweak the buttons easily.

Also use a 4GB RAM instead of the 2GB.

Ok. The steps taken so far.

1. Ordered MCE remote and receiver from ebay.com, it will take 2 weeks I guess.
2. Bought 2GB more RAM to make it 4GB, will get it today.

Since this was a trial with the hardware I already have, I wanted to spend very little. I'ld have preferred to use this HTPC for 2-3 weeks and if I like the setup, buy required hardware and make it my main AV setup replacing PCH-200.

Problem:

Last night, I assembled all the components and checked, there is no display through HDMI port. DVI port works fine. Took all necessary steps (like different HDMI cables) to check if there could be other reasons and confirmed that it is HD4350's HDMI that it is not giving output.

My question is, if I buy a DVI to HDMI cable, will it carry audio also? In earlier days, it was a strict no, but now I am reading mixed opinions on the forums.

I want to buy a good graphics card like HD5450/6450 only after other things are in order.

Please help.

Last edited:
My question is, if I buy a DVI to HDMI cable, will it carry audio also? In earlier days, it was a strict no, but now I am reading mixed opinions on the forums.

I do not want to buy a good graphics card like HD5450/6450 till other things are ok.

Please help.

NO,DVI cant carry audio,6450 is new series card.If you need 3D,then nvidia has better options.

For trouble shooting, do the following
1. Shutdown PC
2. Shutdown monitor/LCD/LED whatever (switch off mains)
3. disconnect all cables going from GPU to Monitor/LCD/LED
4. Connect only the HDMI cable from GPU to monitor/LCD/LED
5. Power on monitor/LCD/LED
6. Power on PC (enter Bios by pressing delete repeatedly)
7. Tell us the result

Some pointers> if the display appears, well and good
If it does not appear, what does the monitor show? does it say check cable, or no signal , signal out of range etc, does the monitor light blink or remains steady?

ATI have changed the DVI port a bit so that it can also transfer sound. But inorder for that to happen, you need to buy ATI DVI to HDMI adapter. With that adapter installed, you need to select ATI HDMI sound device as the default sound device and you will get sound through DVI.

For trouble shooting, do the following
1. Shutdown PC
2. Shutdown monitor/LCD/LED whatever (switch off mains)
3. disconnect all cables going from GPU to Monitor/LCD/LED
4. Connect only the HDMI cable from GPU to monitor/LCD/LED
5. Power on monitor/LCD/LED
6. Power on PC (enter Bios by pressing delete repeatedly)
7. Tell us the result

Some pointers> if the display appears, well and good
If it does not appear, what does the monitor show? does it say check cable, or no signal , signal out of range etc, does the monitor light blink or remains steady?

Well, I mentioned DVI port works fine. To explain that in detail, yesterday when HDMI port didn't work on TV, I connected this PC to Benq E2220HD which has HDMI as well DVI port.

With my HTPC (so called) I connected it with HDMI cable - No signal. Then I connected with DVI cable - works perfectly, installed windows. Checked all BIOS setting, nothing related to this. Checked if there is any jumper setting to select HDMI or DVI port on graphics card - no jumper there.

ATI have changed the DVI port a bit so that it can also transfer sound. But inorder for that to happen, you need to buy ATI DVI to HDMI adapter. With that adapter installed, you need to select ATI HDMI sound device as the default sound device and you will get sound through DVI.

That's my question was. Does it only work with a specific ATI DVI to HDMI adapter or will it work with DVI to HDMI cable also?

This Powercolor HD 4350 was bought on 27th December 2010. I don't know if it has 2 years warranty or 3 years. In either case, there is some warranty left. Is it worth getting it RMAed because there is no signal on HDMI port?

I suggest you to avail of the warranty claim. Sometimes you will get a brand new replacement which you can later trade for a better card.

Don't rely on the DVI audio. It won't work in most cases as it needs a special adapter and for that price you can buy a new GPU. I recently installed GT520 and the nVidia control panel shows two audio devices - HDMI audio and DVI audio, but I'm not sure dvi audio will work with dvi-hdmi adapter.

Connect monitor via HDMI, fire up the PC, remote desktop/teamviewer into the PC from another device. try to adjust resolution, is the monitor getting detected by the system?

No, I am talking about the DVI port. They modified the DVI port to carry audio channels as well. Wont work with any DVI-HDMI cable /adapter though, Needs a special adapter which is available on newegg, amazon etc. Not sure about india.

I got the HP remote today.

$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)qITBQkd8Vrplw~~60_12.JPG

HP Windows Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and IR Receiver | eBay

But I have dropped/postponed the idea of an HTPC as of now. If anyone needs this remote, please let me know.

Hi guys.

I have started working on my long overdue HTPC again.

I have bought a HD6450 and used it on my home PC as a trial.

Now I have decided to buy Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (comfortable with Intel) for its USB 3.0 capabilities and 4GB RAM. I am using the same motherboard on my home PC.

Now I have some confusions:

Confusion No.1

Should I buy a very basic processor like Intel G530 for Rs.2.2k or I need something better (Intel G2010 @3.2k ??)

Confusion No. 2

I am using a 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure with my existing media player.

Should I continue to use that or should I install all 4 2TB HDDs in HTPC (1 for OS, Total 5 HDDs)

If I continue using HDD enclosure, then I will buy a Corsair CX430, else I think I will need a better PSU (which one ???).

I will use a 500GB SATA laptop HDD initially which is lying unused and later I will buy a 64GB SSD. I will also use a spare cabinet for the time being and I will buy HTPC cabinet later on.

Hi guys.

I have started working on my long overdue HTPC again.

Now I have some confusions:

Confusion No.1

Should I buy a very basic processor like Intel G530 for Rs.2.2k or I need something better (Intel G2010 @3.2k ??) If you are going to use it for only movies/music and light gaming then the G530 is sufficient as you have the dedicated GPU, so invest smartly :)

Confusion No. 2

I am using a 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure with my existing media player.

Should I continue to use that or should I install all 4 2TB HDDs in HTPC (1 for OS, Total 5 HDDs) If you have a router then I think it is better to keep this drive bay connected to the router rather than install in the htpc. As it will serve the purpose both for your htpc as well as media player over the LAN with less power consumption.Edit: I think the 4 drive bay interface is thru usb so I believe you would require a router with USB capability with external HDD compatibility so that this drive bay can act as a NAS device

If I continue using HDD enclosure, then I will buy a Corsair CX430, else I think I will need a better PSU (which one ???).

I will use a 500GB SATA laptop HDD initially which is lying unused and later I will buy a 64GB SSD. I will also use a spare cabinet for the time being and I will buy HTPC cabinet later on.

My suggestions in RED.

Last edited:
My suggestions in RED.

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Yes, it is only for media (not even for light gaming)

2. I have a router but HDD enclosure is not attached to it (there is no option). I have connected it through USB to media player. But I am not interested to use it as NAS anyways at this point of time. So, I guess using the HDD enclosure with HTPC is the best option as of now.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Yes, it is only for media (not even for light gaming) Only for media playback the G530 is more than sufficient.

2. I have a router but HDD enclosure is not attached to it (there is no option). I have connected it through USB to media player. But I am not interested to use it as NAS anyways at this point of time. So, I guess using the HDD enclosure with HTPC is the best option as of now.

Yes you can use the drive bay directly connected to the htpc. When you do not want to use the htpc and want to use media player then just disconnect the drive bay from htpc and connect to the media player. I was referring to this cumbersome process to avoid when I said that if you have a wifi router with usb port then you can use this drive connected to the router both for the htpc as well as media player.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back