Need help: HD projector for living room

rapadman

Hi guys,

Its great forum and members who share good information on many topics.
I need your help regarding projector.

- In living cum drawing room (30' x 11.5').
- Can't go beyond 4' X 7' screen.
- Screen will be pull down or motorized. No option for fixed screen.
- Interested in 2D content. Not fond of 3D.
- 9' feet ceiling
- Lens shift - yes/no? If I opt without lens shift where should be the placement of the projector with respect to screen. Horizontal (does the projector need to be in middle of the screen) and vertical distance from top?

- Planning to put projector at 14' distance from screen.
- does celing mount required for projector without lens shift
- planning to put this in box - so trying to understand the placement of projector.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Its great forum and members who share good information on many topics.
I need your help regarding projector.

- In living cum drawing room (30' x 11.5').
- Can't go beyond 4' X 7' screen.
- Screen will be pull down or motorized. No option for fixed screen.
I hope that your living room can be completely darkened. I, for one, do not recommend PJ in living because it is a common area and there are people going around. If there is an HT as well (as there must be), it will be too loud and heard all over the home disturbing others. Hence PJ is recommended in a separate dedicated HT room. But if living room is your choice, then so be it.

4'x7' is quite OK for the screen size but I am afraid that standard screen size are either 6' wide or 8' wide. However, you may find some 7' wide screens also.

- Interested in 2D content. Not fond of 3D.
- 9' feet ceiling
That is fine. There are excellent projectors for 2D. Full HD projector is the way to go but it will be costly also.

- Lens shift - yes/no? If I opt without lens shift where should be the placement of the projector with respect to screen. Horizontal (does the projector need to be in middle of the screen) and vertical distance from top?
Do not buy any PJ that does not have lens shift. It is a highly desirable feature. The projector must be at the horizontal center of the screen. A few inches here and there is OK and can be compensated by lens shift but stick to center installation.

- Planning to put projector at 14' distance from screen.
In my opinion, this will require zooming a bit. The brightness of picture will be scattered a bit. Try going a little closer.

- does celing mount required for projector without lens shift
Do not even think of "PJ without lens shift". Ceiling mount is highly recommended. I have not ceiling mounted it but I have a high wall cabinet (book shelf) and the projector rests on that.

- planning to put this in box - so trying to understand the placement of projector.

Thanks
Box is not recommended as this will impede with ventillation and make projector very hot during operation. The bulb may blow out and plastic components may melt even. If worried about dust, consider a projector lift in false ceiling.

@just4kix - Thanks a lot for your inputs. Its good way to start for me.

Unfortunately, I do not have choice of separate HT room. Reg screen size, I can go with 4' X 6'. Cant go more than 7' feet wide.

Will look for 2D with full HD projector with lens shift option.

If I go for 6' feed wide screen, will mount the projector at 2.5' from one side (horizontal). So, half feet away from center. Is this ok? Does this impact PQ or PJ bulb life?

Yes, will look at options to mount projector closer to the screen i.e. 10' to 12'.

Similar to your plan, I am planning to mount projector in shelf within the partition at 6' - 7' height. It will be like a shelf where front and back will be open. So, I guess shouldnt be a problem with heat and ventillation.

final question - options for 2D (3D is optional) projector with lens shift feature - with/without Full HD? . I will also search different sites. But if any one can share info about the models - it would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

... Reg screen size, I can go with 4' X 6'. Cant go more than 7' feet wide. ..

Go for the biggest screen size possible.. 4:3 aspect ratio screen will have a width of 80 - 84 inches. See if you can plan for such 4:3 which can also be used for a 16:9/10 ratio by adjusting the height accordingly.. Your screen max width wil be less than 7 ft.

Make sure there is more than ample ventilation as the pj WILL get really hot.

For pj options, do mention your budget and any initial preferences..

@tma - thanks for your quick response.

I heard from some one that 4:3 aspect ratio screens are for Data projectors in office. If we adjust height, I understand that 4:3 can be used for HT setup. Please correct me if am wrong.

Yes, I will plan for good ventillation when projector is in use.

PJ options - I am looking at options of getting it from US, Singapore or Qatar. Dont know if Singapore and Qatar will have similar pricing like US. If I am sourcing from abroad - I am ready to spend 80 - 90K INR.

If I plan to get it from India, then I will stretch budget upto 1.25L INR.

@just4kix - Thanks a lot for your inputs. Its good way to start for me.

Unfortunately, I do not have choice of separate HT room. Reg screen size, I can go with 4' X 6'. Cant go more than 7' feet wide.

Will look for 2D with full HD projector with lens shift option.

If I go for 6' feed wide screen, will mount the projector at 2.5' from one side (horizontal). So, half feet away from center. Is this ok? Does this impact PQ or PJ bulb life?

Yes, will look at options to mount projector closer to the screen i.e. 10' to 12'.

Similar to your plan, I am planning to mount projector in shelf within the partition at 6' - 7' height. It will be like a shelf where front and back will be open. So, I guess shouldnt be a problem with heat and ventillation.

final question - options for 2D (3D is optional) projector with lens shift feature - with/without Full HD? . I will also search different sites. But if any one can share info about the models - it would be really helpful.

Thanks again.
The way the projector is mounted does not affect bulb life unless there is poor ventillation.

You should look at two best sites for projectors:

projectorcentral.com
projectorpeople.com

@tma - thanks for your quick response.

I heard from some one that 4:3 aspect ratio screens are for Data projectors in office. If we adjust height, I understand that 4:3 can be used for HT setup. Please correct me if am wrong.

Yes, I will plan for good ventillation when projector is in use.

PJ options - I am looking at options of getting it from US, Singapore or Qatar. Dont know if Singapore and Qatar will have similar pricing like US. If I am sourcing from abroad - I am ready to spend 80 - 90K INR.

If I plan to get it from India, then I will stretch budget upto 1.25L INR.

If you intend stretching upto this limit then go for tw6000 or if you can go upto 1.35 then go for TW8000. You won't be disappointed.

If in living room there are only one or two windows and not large one's then one can use thick curtains. However i think most of them see movies in evening's so sunlight will not be a issue while late evening's there are very less people coming over while servants would have left for the day, so in this count also there is likely to be no problem.

As far as volume of the movie sound, here too i think there will be minimum problem because it is a good chance that all the family member's will be watching the movie together, if not others can keep their bedroom door closed though volume will not leak much into the bedrooms once closed. If there is a A/C in the living room, then automatically bedrooms will be quite cut from the movie aena. Indeed a dedicated room for movies is the way to go forward because of so many benefits.

V.

I hope that your living room can be completely darkened. I, for one, do not recommend PJ in living because it is a common area and there are people going around. If there is an HT as well (as there must be), it will be too loud and heard all over the home disturbing others. Hence PJ is recommended in a separate dedicated HT room. But if living room is your choice, then so be it.

Last edited:
@pallava_gupta - I am also looking for Epson Home Cinema 8350 (US model). In India EH-TW3500 is close but not exactly similar. There is one in singapore (EH-TW3600) same as 8350. This has full HD and lens shift (no 3D which anyway am not interested in).

@vinay - In my living room, there is only one window which will be behind my screen. Other end of living room is full balcony which I can cover with curtains. Also has option to put curtains at the end.

My projector usage will be mostly in weekends. Normal (daily) usage will be with TV during weekdays in bedroom.

@pallava_gupta - I am also looking for Epson Home Cinema 8350 (US model). In India EH-TW3500 is close but not exactly similar. There is one in singapore (EH-TW3600) same as 8350. This has full HD and lens shift (no 3D which anyway am not interested in).

@vinay - In my living room, there is only one window which will be behind my screen. Other end of living room is full balcony which I can cover with curtains. Also has option to put curtains at the end.

My projector usage will be mostly in weekends. Normal (daily) usage will be with TV during weekdays in bedroom.

TW3600(8350) is available in India for Rs90-95k... Even on flipkart it is listed at Rs98k... It used to be in the range of 85k a few months back but the fluctuation in the dollar price has pushed the price up...

PS dont listen to anyone who says that u cant enjoy a projector in ur living room... I recently got my Epson 8500UB from US & tried it for 2 days in my living room... Absolutely fantastic even without a screen... With a screen it will be even better... Infact if I closed the curtains, I could even use the THX mode without any problems... & my projector is rated at only 1600 lumens... Just a small suggestion... If possible push ur budget to 1.35 lacs for the TW8000(5010)... I no like me u also dont want 3D, but the black lvl performance of this range is phenomenal & it is very bright to using in the living room will be no biggie... Another option is to get the 8500UB from the US... Its available for $1100 on the epson store & they have a 10-15% discount coupon from time to time, pushing it well below the $1000 mark...

I did not say that one cannot enjoy projector in living room. I am saying that projector will be much better in a separate room.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

if you are not interested in 3D and also you need lens shift model then the best choice is Epson TW 3600 / 2000 lumens / full hd / 50000 contrast. Its priced below 90K. Contact : [email protected]. Dont buy from abroad as you get no warranty.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back