Need help in building budget Jazz Stereo system for Rs.50,000 to Rs.60,000

DesiAudiophile

Hello HiFi'ers. I was active 3 months ago and i am back because I've been saving money using Recurring Deposit in my bank account, been saving 5000 per month for 6 months. I'm from Chennai, 22 years old and just finished my B.Tech. I was experimenting with my music tastes and found slow BPM music seems to be relaxing my stress and calm myself. So, decided to build a jazz/Soul/Classical starter system with low budget of 50,000 to 60,000. So i need some guidance regarding this

For especially playing slow BPM musics like Jazz/Soul/Classical :-

1) Do i need to choose tube amps instead of solid state amps?
2) I prefer Tower speakers for aesthetics. I heard that Integrated amps can't drive Tower speakers and i need a separate Pre-amp and power amp.Is that true ?
3) What are the things i need to keep in mind if i am building a Jazz stereo system ?
4) Also, please recommend me a build with all coming to Rs 60,000 like CD player, amps, speakers etc.. That would be of great help

Thank You

Integrated amp can definitely drive tower speakers , unless u r not using very higher Wattage speakers. For 60k budget just check with Taga Harmony speakers and amps. Otherwise look into owner sale, hope u can find some good stuff. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hello Desiaudiophile,
At 22, what you have saved up is no small feat. Hats off:clapping:

While I am no longer familiar with current entry level brands, I do love Jazz and understand what it can sound best with. Look for balance in overall presentation and across the frequency range. While a music system should be exciting, it should certainly not be dull, if something stands out too much in a set-up this may be sign of a problem not a virtue.

First the speakers; at this price go for small stand mounts NOT floor standers. Look for simple two way with a sensitivity in the range of 86 to 89 db, the higher the better.

For amplification a good SS class AB integrated of not less than 25 watts, about about 40 watts would be ideal. Look for a line-stage, don't bother with phono. A headphone out is nice but not necessary.A simple minimalist amp is the best option. Also I would not waste my money on tubes, These need a bigger budget, and will be fussy about speaker pairing.

Put your fifty K on just the speakers and amplifier right now, say 28-30 k for speakers and 20-22 for the integrated amp.

People might advise you to buy used, however to buy used you need experience, and one can get cheated. I would try to buy new or demo kit.

Finally, buy a cheapo DAC from amazon to plug into your laptop. Beg or borrow used interconnects and speaker wires from FMs. Many of us have stuff lying around.

Others more up to date can suggest brands and models. You might give the guy at HiFI mart call, he is well informed and realistic. A good dealer is to be valued. Go listen to stuff if you can, but again stay within your range. That way the dealer will have to work harder to help you make the best choice.

Hi Desiaudiophile, you are writing into a crowd that would be nonplussed at recommending something at your price range!

Just to add on to what soundbuff said, a system that plays jazz should also have great "PRAT" - essentially pace rhythm and timing. So a sense of momentum is maintained. If you get to listen to one before you buy, you should be snapping your fingers and stomping your feet - it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.

A decent place to start is the TAGA Harmony 700B integrated amplifier that has a DAC and bluetooth capability as well. It costs roughly INR 30,000 or so.

Then comes the matter of speakers - if you can settle for stand mounts, I liked the Castle Knight 2 at about INR 40,000, which comes in slightly above your price range all told - though you need to buy stands as well - problem is good stands cost money.

TAGA Harmony also make floor standers at about 40 k or so, and may be the synergy works well...there are website reviews that google will give you an indication.

At this stage, spend a lot on music! I really like Apple Music as it has allowed me to listen to new artists.

Best wishes!

Integrated amp can definitely drive tower speakers , unless u r not using very higher Wattage speakers. For 60k budget just check with Taga Harmony speakers and amps. Otherwise look into owner sale, hope u can find some good stuff. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was too thinking of TAGA Harmony HTA-500b Hybrid Integrated amplifier with TAGA's Plantinum S-90SL or Wharfedale Diamond series. Hope those tube serve good for jazz/soul music :D

Now since my budget is low, I'll stick to BS speakers

I Cant find a entry level good tube integrated amplifier. Can you recommend some ?

Hello Desiaudiophile,
At 22, what you have saved up is no small feat. Hats off:clapping:

While I am no longer familiar with current entry level brands, I do love Jazz and understand what it can sound best with. Look for balance in overall presentation and across the frequency range. While a music system should be exciting, it should certainly not be dull, if something stands out too much in a set-up this may be sign of a problem not a virtue.

First the speakers; at this price go for small stand mounts NOT floor standers. Look for simple two way with a sensitivity in the range of 86 to 89 db, the higher the better.

For amplification a good SS class AB integrated of not less than 25 watts, about about 40 watts would be ideal. Look for a line-stage, don't bother with phono. A headphone out is nice but not necessary.A simple minimalist amp is the best option. Also I would not waste my money on tubes, These need a bigger budget, and will be fussy about speaker pairing.

Put your fifty K on just the speakers and amplifier right now, say 28-30 k for speakers and 20-22 for the integrated amp.

People might advise you to buy used, however to buy used you need experience, and one can get cheated. I would try to buy new or demo kit.

Finally, buy a cheapo DAC from amazon to plug into your laptop. Beg or borrow used interconnects and speaker wires from FMs. Many of us have stuff lying around.

Others more up to date can suggest brands and models. You might give the guy at HiFI mart call, he is well informed and realistic. A good dealer is to be valued. Go listen to stuff if you can, but again stay within your range. That way the dealer will have to work harder to help you make the best choice.

Amazing advice sir ! Great information. 30k was hard to save and was very tempting to spend money even though i controlled :D. As per your saying, I can say you're very much experienced in jazz music so now I'm not in a rush to buy a stereo system and i just want a decent entry-level system that can play some good jazz/soul/classical music for my passive listening when i do some other work. I'm not interested in critical listening as i don't have time.

So could you please tell me a budget so i can extend it and wait a little more. Also can you tell me some entry level tube amps so i can see through

for an amp, look at the acoustic portrait swara 75w integrated. imo nothing to beat it at the price point. will cost you around 36k so maybe slightly above budget. another pretty good amp is the norge concerto gold at around 16k. and for budget speakers, the wharfedale diamonds are really good. a step above would be the kef q series and the monitor audio bronze. a dac will make a lot of difference to the detail

My viewpoints from a financial perspective:

For casual/passive listening while doing the chores, why bother about investing 60K? Swans or Thonets and Vonders could do the job.

But, if you want a system which you would also dedicate time for listening, I would suggest to hold on to your urge for another 6 months and save another 60K (salute for saving so much at an early stage of career), you can really go for a system that can keep you happy for a long time.

When I say a system, I am also including cables, stands for bookshelves and sources etc. Each these matter in the overall experience. Going on for an entry level system might lead to getting an upgrade bug immediately. I would suggest that you take six months for auditioning at dealers and FMs before making the choice (in the meanwhile you would save more money).

Going for a smaller system and upgrading through trading or selling off will set you back financially. But, with 120K, you mean real business - you can go for floor standers like Dali zensor 7, better amps, good cables etc. No intention to confuse you, just a point to think about!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back