Need help in buying a speaker setup from the US within $500

d00r

We're moving next month and I want to carry a new setup from the US. The plan was to buy a Denon 1910 and either the S406 set or the S413. Since then, Vanns offered 4 C401s, C400CEN, and the SUB250 all for 399. Is this a better setup than the others? BB Magnolia offered Mirage MX5.1s for 499 including a MX8 Sub, and there is the Klipsch 1000 HD theater as well for 499 but I'm not sure about smaller satellite speakers - no experience or knowledge in general about most things audio.

The restriction is with FS speakers since we're carrying this setup with us as air baggage and the S506/E680s would be too large for the airlines. The budget is just about that much and I don't want to have to spend on the BIC F12 availablle at 182 unless it makes more sense than the SUB250 (we're moving into an apt so clarity in music is our goal rather than volume/gain). Would've considered the BIC F12 or Jamo S550 but they'd be one piece of baggage just for the sub! Any advice or help is very much appreciated.
PS: Can the s250 be switched from 110v to 230 v without requiring a visit to the factory or perhaps a step down transformer?
PPS: I've x-posted on another forum and will post any information from there to this forum as well.

I would second grubyhalo. You could carry AVR from USA as prices are a lot cheaper. The speakers are too much of a hassle. Sure they will be more costly here but still would be worth it. You have to consider the possibility of damage during transit too.
Maybe you could buy your front speakers, preferably standmounts/bookshelves( you mentioned moving to an aptmnt) from the US.
A satellite package on the other hand, except for the sub, would be easier to bring down, but imho not as good as full size speakers generally.
Are you going to use the AVR mainly for Movies?

Grubyhalo, laudio, thanks for your advice. We're planning on either the Denon 1910 or the Yammy 765. I know carrying FS speakers would be a huge risk, which is why we were thinking of the package including 4 Jamo C401 BS and the S250 (which Vanns says fit well into one package that they say is well protected for the rigors of air cargo). Please see here the Jamo bundles here: Jamo C401 2 way cherry color Concert series bookshelf speaker pair Decoupled Tweeter Technology Bass reflex at Vanns.com. I have no access to the prices for these older models so cannot figure if they make sense. :)

I decided against the E680, S506, S406 only for the fear of damage during transit (Avl for 199 each!)

Since we're focused more on music, would satellite speakers like the Mirage Nanosat or MX51 or Klipsch HD 1000 make more sense? I'm keener on BS speakers since I really haven't heard any satellite churn out power as compared to a set of BS speakers. I would consider Polk but am not sure which ones (again, never auditioned these). Thanks for your help. I might still end up spending 50K for a decent FS in India but that might take a lot more time.

Last edited:
At the cost of sounding repetitive, if you are more into music, get a good stereo amp, cdp/pc+dac and a pair of good speakers and you are good to go. Future expandability and all that doesnt really count.
If you are really keen on AVR, go for the ones from CA, Marantz, Nad etc.
Among what you have listed the Denon would be better.
Edit: the jamo c 401 deal looks good!

The general consensus is that floor-standers are much better for music, if you have the space to pull it off. But, yes that's indeed a tempting price. If you're going for an AVR, you might want to add HK as well to the list iAudio has given...

Thank you both for your patience. A friend of mine bought the Denon 1910 for 399 net and the sale at Vanns means the Yammy 765 is also available for the same. I'm keener on the Denon since I have heard it in person (earlier had a BIC SUB and a pair of Athena BS). The FS speakers in India seem to be priced well despite shipping/customs so those are definitely on for later (which is why budget suddenly shrank). SO C401s and the sub it is... am gonna audition the Klipsch sub as well and see if it can get close to the bash-amplified S550/250. For my needs the 250 is fine, but for an additional Rs7,500 + customs duty etc +some back pain, I can get a well regarded SUB. Klipsch seems to be better regarded in the US than anywhere else. If I could have gotten Athenas it might been a happier deal. Thanks again folks. Appreciate your help a lot. Although the setup is pretty standard and low-end, will let you know how it panned out once we set up base in Bangalore.

I agree-buy as much of the electronics there-significant price differentials on offer as well as not too bulky volume wise. Have you considered a Hsu?

George

Am leaning towards a pair of C401s @ 80 a pair, plus a pair of C403s @ 200 plus the S250 sub. I did check out the Hsu sub at a friend's place but it is simply too heavy to ship. BIC and Hsu subs were on the list but got dropped for the weight factor. The HSU sounds amazing tho.

the cartons for each 401 is approx 8x11x17 inches

Honestly, I'd just point you towards the s30 speakers from cambridge audio at 8k over the c 401's at 4.5k. Youd have a whole suitcase full of speakers which customs might scan/catch you for.

There are two of us carrying close to 7 bags so a customs stop looks pretty certain :). I wanted to carry only the speakers in one large box as additional baggage marked fragile. Looks like the plan will need to change to just the Denon 1910 or ... just saw that the new upcoming Onkyo 608 is avl for $430! This is getting pretty nerve wracking since I'm hardly an audiophile and have minimal knowledge -- all I have is a Jazz collection close to 8GB and a misc collection of past CDs dead (classic rock and western, carnatic classical) totalling about 10GB. As you say, perhaps just the S30. Are the Jamo 403s as good as these? Thanks again CorElement... Appreciate it very very much.

hey d00r what's your current system/ setup?
Why not buy 1 oppo blu-ray player bd83, a good cdp or a dac, one very good stereo amp and 1 receiver. Onkyo avr should be fine as it is easily serviceable in India. I am not sure if it has pre-outs for front l/r.
You may also buy a logitech squeezebox touch or duet or classic.

I suggest you check out this site as well www.ac4l.com-they have some good deals on Onkyo and Marantz AV receivers. You dont need to get too worried about Customs at Bangalore, by and large you can deal with them without too much stress these days unlike in the past.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back