Need help in deciding Fixed Projector Screen

aloklala

I need to get a projector screen for my home theater. My room is 17 ft by 12 ft.
Projector is Epson 3010.
I went to Abhi Projection in Tilak Nagar, Delhi today and they suggested me the Liberty 110" - 16:9 ratio fixed screen for 19K including taxes, shipping and installation. (Abhi Projection)
Please can you let me know if this is something I shoud go with?
Another option is 120" - 4:3 ratio Liberty Grandview pull down screen for 11K including taxes, shipping and installation.
Thanks,
Alok - Noida

More information on my HT if it helps to help me :)

I have got the following other systems:
1. Denon 3312 AVR
2. Polk Audio RTi series Speakers
a) A7 Fronts
b) CSi A6 Center
c) FXiA6 Surrounds
d) DSW Pro 660 Sub Woofer
3. Planning to get the room Acoustically treated (Not dcide on how to get it done yet)
4. The Projector would be on a shelf at the back wall as the Throw distance at 1.0 Zom suggested for a 110" diagnol 16:9 screen is 17.2".
5. I am still deciding on what kind of Recliners to get and from where?

Has anyone on this forum bought any size Fixed screen of Liberty (not Grandview)? What was its performance? Is it worth more than double the pull down screen?

I had sed flex banner white material as screen for my earlier projector. I fixed it with nails on a frame and had black borders painted on all 4 sides. It was good and I enjoyed it. I think I ended up spending less than Rs.2000/- (All work was done by me, so no making charges). However I never did AB comparison with any other screens.

If the room is dedicated for watching movie, go for fixed screens.

Usually, for fixed screens, you should go for the size that you will be projecting. First find out what size the Epson will project from its mounting position. If its not the standard size after adjusting by zoom etc, then you may have to buy the screen material and build it.

Since the Epson is 16:9 projector, that rules out 4:3 unless you want to put up with bars around the picture.

Oh, and about blackout cloth. It loses its whiteness a bit and becomes pale after few months. Check some online posts about it.

I would advice to just go for DIY route with laminate as manoj.p did. A fixed frame screen WILL get dirty very soon, and therefore you need a surface you can clean.

I am thinking of a DIY only after a lot of thought.
I will go for a 9x5 (16:9 screen).
Anyone knows where will I get the laminate or sed flex banner white material in Delhi (NCR)?
I will also have a curtain in front of my screen to protect it from dust when the screen is not in use and also for tashan :)

I would advice to just go for DIY route with laminate as manoj.p did. A fixed frame screen WILL get dirty very soon, and therefore you need a surface you can clean.

You have a very valid point. I did not think earlier. I didn't had to clean my screen so far with any liquid or something, just doing regular feather dusting. But if you have to clean it with any liquid, it better be very mild, with no streak leaving cleaner.

although, if Alok does go with a fabric screen, then he can mount a curtain rail above it and cover the screen with curtains when not in use. If he automates it, then it will be cool effect, curtains going up before presentation, a la theater. :) :clapping:

Manoj,

Please can you provide me some more detail on the laminate material for the screen. Where can I get it in Delhi (NCR)?

Thanks,
Alok

Alok,

I am not aware of what's available in Delhi. But if you want laminate, look for something that's matt white, does not have reflections, and very fine surface, little bit texture which is not visible from 5 ft is okay. You will find the laminate in the Building stores.

As for my screen, its WilsonArt Designer white laminate. Good luck hunting.

Don't laminates usually come in 8'X4' sheets?
If one has to joint laminates to get a bigger screen wouldn't it affect the PQ?
I'm doing some research on HT materials in the scope of building one myself.
Aloklala I request you to pm me if you get any bigger laminates that come in roles. The Wilson art laminates that manoj uses comes pretty well recommended but I doubt if we can get it in INdia.
My friend has has actually painted a matt greyish white on a 6mm plywood mounted on a frame and it's turned out to be fantastic. Think the frame size is 9' wide. Its a fixed 2.35:1 frame and that's the way to go I would say if thats the native aspect ratio of majority of your movies
Gijo

I would suggest a Stewart Filmscreen for any front projection theater. Stewart have both residential and commercial screens. For more information please see:

STEWART FILMSCREEN - FRONT PROJECTION SCREEN MATERIALS

I don't know why people lay down 5 or 6 lakh for a home theater, and then throw the image on a painted wall or fabric purchased from a sari shop. It is false economy to not spend an additional lakh on a proper screen with optical qualities engineered to bring out the best from your rather expensive projector. You would not buy a high end amp and listen on airline headphones, so why would you do that to your projector?

Manoj,

By laminate do you mean the Moica sheet that is put on Furniture etc.?

If yes then the maximum size I am getting this in is 8 x 4 ft!

I want a 9 x 5 ft screen.

Alok,

If you can't get it in that size, then its out of question. I could get a 5x12 sheet, so it solved my purpose.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back