Need help in setting up Onkyo 3500

andy78

I have the following
1. Samsung D6000 46" TV.
2. Airtel DTH HD Set top Box
3. Onkyo 3500.

My first query is how will I connect the AVR to the TV so that I can get the audio in 5.1 which is being played out of the USB port of the TV. So in essence it's TV out to the AVR. I think my current option would be to get an Optical cable and connect it from TV to AVR to get the desired result. However till I get hold of an optical cable is it possible to get the required thing using HDMI or any other cable?

My second query is the Onkyo guy who came to set up the system informed that if we have Airtel HD Settop box and if we want to get 5.1 surround from the HD channels I need to use Optical cable between AVR and the Airtel DTH box. HDMI will not give me the 5.1 surround. Tata Sky would have been able to give 5.1 through HDMI but not possible with Airtel using HDMI. Could this be true?

So in this case I will have to buy two optical cables.

Please help me. :(

Let me tell you the similar way I have done with my Onkyo 22HDX HT.

Answer to first query:-
First thing first...Connect AVR's HDMI OUT to TV's HDMI IN (This is always essential if you need to get 5.1 over HDMI i.e. to enable Audio-Return Channel. This also helps in syncing some remote control option such as Volume Control and Power On-Off with one single remote)
To get the 5.1 sound from content played in USB connected to TV, you need to connect TV's Optical Out to AVR's Optical IN. (so, buy any Toslink Opticle Cable)
I don't think you can get 5.1 from USB using a HDMI cable. So better to buy Optical Cable.

Answer to second query:-
As of now, Airtel STB doesn't give 5.1 sound over HDMI. Hence, do the following:
STB's HDMI OUT to TV's HDMI IN
STB's Optical OUT to AVR's Optical IN

So, you may need to buy another optical cable. But I'll recommend..buy only one optical cable, because Airtel may enable 5.1 over HDMI in near future with a firmware update.
Meanwhile you can switch the same cable between TV and STB.

FYI: TataSky is providing 5.1 sound over HDMI and Optical Both.

Last edited:
The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data upstream to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection.

I could not ascertain if the tv supports ARC but the onkyo 3500 does. Lets look at 2 scenario's ........ with ARC and without ARC.

ARC ON
1 HDMI 1.4 cable from AVR to TV
All other devices like DVD Player, Blueray Player, cable STB, etc will be connected directly to the AVR and not the tv.
You need to enable ARC on the tv and the AVR.

ARC OFF
1 HDMI cable from AVR to TV
1 optical cable from TV Optical Digital Audio Output out to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

Airtel STB
1 HDMI 1.3 cable from STB to AVR
1 optical cable from STB Optical Digital Audio Output to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

The above hook up plan will give you 5.1 and would be the best way to connect all your devices. Until Airtel supports 5.1 audio over HDMI this would be the best way to do it. Once they do support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you can remove the optical cable from the STB and only use a single HDMI cable.

Also ensure, to use ARC you need HDMI 1.4 and not 1.3.

The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data upstream to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection.

I could not ascertain if the tv supports ARC but the onkyo 3500 does. Lets look at 2 scenario's ........ with ARC and without ARC.

ARC ON
All other devices like DVD Player, Blueray Player, cable STB, etc will be connected directly to the AVR and not the tv.

ARC OFF
1 optical cable from TV Optical Digital Audio Output out to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

Airtel STB
1 optical cable from STB Optical Digital Audio Output to AVR Optical Digital Audio input.

The above hook up plan will give you 5.1 and would be the best way to connect all your devices. Until Airtel supports 5.1 audio over HDMI this would be the best way to do it. Once they do support 5.1 audio over HDMI, you can remove the optical cable from the STB and only use a single HDMI cable.

Very well explained Aakash ! Just one simple doubt....Do we need to enable ARC on the devices explicitly or this feature comes by default in the devices whoever supports ?

Very well explained Aakash ! Just one simple doubt....Do we need to enable ARC on the devices explicitly or this feature comes by default in the devices whoever supports ?

to use ARC ensure both the devices support it........the 3500 and the tv. If only one supports it, then it's not going to work.
you would need to look into the 3500 setup or menu option to enable it.

ARC ON

ARC OFF

Airtel STB

to use ARC ensure both the devices support it........the 3500 and the tv. If only one supports it, then it's not going to work.
you would need to look into the 3500 setup or menu option to enable it.

So Aakash you are saying if both the devices support HDMI 1.4 I don't need an optical cable to connect the TV to AVR. Here I'm talking only about getting thing played on TV output as 5.1 in my AVR.
How do I check if my TV supports HDMI 1.4.

Also does it also depend on the HDMI cable. I think I have 1.3

Last edited:
I have the following
1. Samsung D6000 46" TV.
2. Airtel DTH HD Set top Box
3. Onkyo 3500.

My first query is how will I connect the AVR to the TV so that I can get the audio in 5.1 which is being played out of the USB port of the TV. So in essence it's TV out to the AVR. I think my current option would be to get an Optical cable and connect it from TV to AVR to get the desired result. However till I get hold of an optical cable is it possible to get the required thing using HDMI or any other cable?

My second query is the Onkyo guy who came to set up the system informed that if we have Airtel HD Settop box and if we want to get 5.1 surround from the HD channels I need to use Optical cable between AVR and the Airtel DTH box. HDMI will not give me the 5.1 surround. Tata Sky would have been able to give 5.1 through HDMI but not possible with Airtel using HDMI. Could this be true?

So in this case I will have to buy two optical cables.

Please help me. :(

Dude, i have the same d6000 46" series tv. it's 2nd hdmi port only is an arc port so ensure the onkyo hdmi out is connected to ur tv's 2nd hdmi port

First ensure that your tv speaker settings is set to external speaker (in menu>Sound)

now when you attach usb to the tv & play movie from it, as soon as the content is 5.1, the tv will do send 5.1 audio to the onkyo & onkyo will detect & output it. But note by default it will not send 5.1 so you have to tell it to output 5.1. To do so click on menu button of ur tv's remote, press Sound, Press SPDIF Output & bydefault it will show you PCM, press on it & press on DTS or Dolby Digital (as detected by your TV). Now your tv will send 5.1 to your onkyo...ensure in onkyo you have the sound mode to auto or standard or whatever (i don't have onkyo) & enjoy. You don't need to connect optical cable from your tv to onkyo as it is required for those tv's or avr which doesn't support arc & the tv you got is damn damn nice & got uptodate features...i simply love it...note hdmi is superior to optical & optical will not output dolby truhd or dts hd but the hdmi will

Since the hd stb doesn't output 5.1 over hdmi, you need to connect a coaxial or digital optical cable from hd stb digital out to your avr's coaxial or optical in

So Aakash you are saying if both the devices support HDMI 1.4 I don't need an optical cable to connect the TV to AVR. Here I'm talking only about getting thing played on TV output as 5.1 in my AVR.

I think you took it wrong a little bit. HDMI 1.4 is not an alternate to Optical Cable. He just explained all the terms related to ARC (Audio-Return Channel).
You'll have to use Optical cable for Airtel STB to receive 5.1 audio.
And yeah...most of the modern TVs support HDMI 1.4 and your TV too.

One more point...No HDMI cable is sold with the specification explicitly mentioned as 1.3/1.4. In fact I have seen most of the HDMI 1.4 cables sold with the details mentioned such as "High Speed HDMI" or "HDMI 3D with Ethernet support".

As vprasad pointed it out...........follow what he says as he has the same tv. But ensure you are using HDMI 1.4 to connect AVR to TV. ARC will not work with HDMI 1.3. And yes, in the market you do get specific HDMI v1.3 or v1.4 cables.
You do not need an separate optical from TV to AVR. But you will need a seperate optical cable from STB to AVR, as mentioned in my earlier post.

hi akash, arc is suppprted on hdmi 1.3 cable as well...hdmi 1.4 is required were very high transition data is there n require high speed...e.g frame packed 3d signals....though side by side 3d can go over 1.3

Dude, i have the same d6000 46" series tv. it's 2nd hdmi port only is an arc port so ensure the onkyo hdmi out is connected to ur tv's 2nd hdmi port

First ensure that your tv speaker settings is set to external speaker (in menu>Sound)

now when you attach usb to the tv & play movie from it, as soon as the content is 5.1, the tv will do send 5.1 audio to the onkyo & onkyo will detect & output it. But note by default it will not send 5.1 so you have to tell it to output 5.1. To do so click on menu button of ur tv's remote, press Sound, Press SPDIF Output & bydefault it will show you PCM, press on it & press on DTS or Dolby Digital (as detected by your TV). Now your tv will send 5.1 to your onkyo...ensure in onkyo you have the sound mode to auto or standard or whatever (i don't have onkyo) & enjoy. You don't need to connect optical cable from your tv to onkyo as it is required for those tv's or avr which doesn't support arc & the tv you got is damn damn nice & got uptodate features...i simply love it...note hdmi is superior to optical & optical will not output dolby truhd or dts hd but the hdmi will

Since the hd stb doesn't output 5.1 over hdmi, you need to connect a coaxial or digital optical cable from hd stb digital out to your avr's coaxial or optical in
Thanks Prasad. You still didn't tell me whether my current cable will support 1.4. How do I check that?
I think you took it wrong a little bit. HDMI 1.4 is not an alternate to Optical Cable. He just explained all the terms related to ARC (Audio-Return Channel).
You'll have to use Optical cable for Airtel STB to receive 5.1 audio.
And yeah...most of the modern TVs support HDMI 1.4 and your TV too.

One more point...No HDMI cable is sold with the specification explicitly mentioned as 1.3/1.4. In fact I have seen most of the HDMI 1.4 cables sold with the details mentioned such as "High Speed HDMI" or "HDMI 3D with Ethernet support".
So can I use my current HDMI cable?
As vprasad pointed it out...........follow what he says as he has the same tv. But ensure you are using HDMI 1.4 to connect AVR to TV. ARC will not work with HDMI 1.3. And yes, in the market you do get specific HDMI v1.3 or v1.4 cables.
You do not need an separate optical from TV to AVR. But you will need a seperate optical cable from STB to AVR, as mentioned in my earlier post.

Same question how do I check if my HDMI cable has 1.4 support?
I have two HDMI Cables.
One that I purchased which said 1.3 and the other which I got with Airtel Settop box.

Thanks Prasad. You still didn't tell me whether my current cable will support 1.4. How do I check that?

So can I use my current HDMI cable?

Same question how do I check if my HDMI cable has 1.4 support?
I have two HDMI Cables.
One that I purchased which said 1.3 and the other which I got with Airtel Settop box.

most likely it will be 1.3..........use them and check. Do not buy 1.4 if 1.3 works!!!

Last edited:
u dont require 1.4 cable for arc..it will work on ur hdmi 1.3 they way to detech cable version is hdmi 1.4 cable is always marked/written as high speed whereas in hdmi 1.3 cable, there would be no label at all.infact i have 2 1.4 cables n 2 1.3 cables n arc is nt workin in 1 1.4 cable...seems it is faulty but arc works on all the other 3 cables

u dont require 1.4 cable for arc..it will work on ur hdmi 1.3 they way to detech cable version is hdmi 1.4 cable is always marked/written as high speed whereas in hdmi 1.3 cable, there would be no label at all.infact i have 2 1.4 cables n 2 1.3 cables n arc is nt workin in 1 1.4 cable...seems it is faulty but arc works on all the other 3 cables

link clearly says 1.3b........should be fine.

Tough luck guys I tried both the cables and both these are 1.3b.
And yes you are right Prasad it's written 1.3b I think on both the wires.
What should I do now?
Buy a 1.4 HDMI Cable and try?
So aakash you are saying 1.3b should work for ARC?

Please help!

A quick update on the Query 2. My wife did some tweaks and now the sound system is much better.
But still no solution for Query1? :(

Prasad whatever I checked on the net most of them say that 1.4 supports ARC. I really didn't find anywhere a mention of 1.3 having ARC except 1 post in a forum. So are you sure that using your 1.3 HDMI cable you were able to get ARC?
Any other suggestions Prasad and Aakash?
:(

dude 1.3 shud support arc....i mean 1.3 cable can carry arc...since u have airtel hd stb which is connected via hdmi y dont u plughthe same cable frm onkyo out to yv 2nd hdmi port n play a movie n chk as i described in my earlier ppst. U need 1.4 cable only while watching frame packed 3d bluray

dude 1.3 shud support arc....i mean 1.3 cable can carry arc...since u have airtel hd stb which is connected via hdmi y dont u plughthe same cable frm onkyo out to yv 2nd hdmi port n play a movie n chk as i described in my earlier ppst. U need 1.4 cable only while watching frame packed 3d bluray
I tried with this cable as well. It's not working!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back