Need help in setting up Technics SL 2000

achudada

Hi

Recently I acquired a Technics SL2000 turn table. When I tried to play it, only one channel is working . I am new to TT's and I could not find much help online which describes the same problem .I am not sure where to start my debugging any help is highly appreciated.

Regards
Harris

Well, lets first welcome you to this lovely world of Vinyl. A Technics SL-2000, great find! http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-2000.shtml

Couple of questions:

1. Did you balance the tonearm accurately with the correct VTF for the cartridge?
2. What Amp/Phonostage are you using? Have you connected the TT RCAs to the Phono input on the amp. Try swapping them and see if the other channel works.

I suspect faulty RCA interconnects on the TT or the RCA plugs on the Amp which needs a cleaning.

Cheers...

Last edited:
I can think of 3 conditions:

1. Either the RCA connects are faulty
2. The Amp has failed for one channel
3. The cartridge is faulty.

To verify, change the leads of the interconnect and if there is audio output from the channel which was not working previously, then the amp is fine. Check 1 & 2.

Recently i set up one for our FM and my good friend, JK_Chaos. What a lovely turntable, great find.

No sound in 1 channel can be due to many reasons, assuming that your amp is alright, check the circuit between the cart and the amp. If the circuit is ok, then try a different cart (if you have one) or check the cart.

Thank You all for the pointers,I am trying to check the causes one after another. Will post the update.

Regards
Harris

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back