Need help on choosing iPod Dock with Speakers and RCA output

KonfuSed

Hi All,
Thinking of getting a cheap iPod Dock which will meet the following requirements,
1. Decent speakers so that I can use it in my bedroom.
2. RCA output so that it can be connected to the amplifier when in the living room.
3. Not very big size. should be easy to carry.
4. Should have a remote control.
5. Budget is around 6-7k.
6. Charge the iPod
7. Should able to take both iPod Classic(5th gen) and iPod Touch. (iPhone compatibility is a plus but I'm not planning for a iPhone in the near future)

So anything worthwhile to look for? There are few models like iHome iPod dock(with clock and radio, that's a plus) or Logitech Pure-fi Anywhere/express which might fall under the budget. But I'm not sure if any of these have RCA output.
Also would like to know will there be any significant audio quality improvement while using the dock instead of using the Headphone jack(using stereo jack now but the audio is not very good and sounds boomy many a times)? But anyway, current requirement is portability and convenience so that I can use something at my bedroom and carry it to living room without much problem.
Hope for some help..

I too am looking for something similar but no luck so far. Everything that meets my requirements is way overprices, some even more than the cost of the iPod itself.

I think the Onkyo ND-S1 fits perfect to your requirements . I have read the link which gobble posted they are talking about circuits etc more than features and sound quality .. Which is like a Sunday noon DD movie :lol: (for me)

Thanks for the pointers but I want something which comes with decent speakers (need it for my Bedroom) and if possible withing the range 7k. Onkyo one seems to be good but no speakers and would overshoot my budget by a long margin. :( Anyone have any idea about the iHome IP9? That seems to have a stereo line out. Reviews looks ok.

Why don't you get a plain dock which works with Universal Remote and connect it with your choice of powered speakers. Unless you want to carry the whole docking system wherever you're going to travel. This way you can get the best out the speakers?

Why don't you get a plain dock which works with Universal Remote and connect it with your choice of powered speakers. Unless you want to carry the whole docking system wherever you're going to travel. This way you can get the best out the speakers?
But problem is that my budget is very limited now (7k max) and I don't think i'll be able to afford any good quality active speaker package + docking station. But anyway, can you let me know about some good docking stations (with remote control) within that range? I heard that the apple's own universal dock is good but I'll have to buy the remote separately.

But problem is that my budget is very limited now (7k max) and I don't think i'll be able to afford any good quality active speaker package + docking station. But anyway, can you let me know about some good docking stations (with remote control) within that range? I heard that the apple's own universal dock is good but I'll have to buy the remote separately.

The Apple dock does come with a remote, But it's a bit expensive than the without remote option. But compatibility will be great on the official docks.

I've a Cambridge iD10 which has line out which I bought for around GBP 15. This doesn't come with Remote but it works well with a Logitech Universal remote I've got. It was charging my iPhone but I could hear interference, May be not with iPod touch because it doesn't contain the radio unit. I've connected that to Harmon Kardon Sound sticks II for which I paid around GBP 70. The result I'm getting is impressive for the money I've spent. Santhosh has iD10 with him and he has also listened the HK, You can try your iPod before making a decision may be, But my choice would be for a dock of your choice and a active speaker system.

You can tout for used Active speakers may be to connect with a dock and you would have a better result than the docks with in-built speakers. I've listened to couple of docks like Logitech, JVC and to be honest they wouldn't cut the ice here. They would offer too much of boom and you will have fatigue listening to them.

Last edited:
I'm planning to go to Modern World and check out what they've. I faintly remember seeing some iPod Docks at that place. Will update soon.
@teky, that HK Soundsticks looks amazing but the price is 13k on ebay :(

I bought an IPod dock from Tovrin Audio, Chennai called 'Ultravocs' for 8.5k.
They claim to have designed and outsourced its manufacture.

I too wanted the RCA out and it didn't have so they modified the dock with 3.5mm jack out. You have to use a 3.5mm jack to RCA converter cable that would be available in electronics stores, a good quality one would cost Rs. 100 odd.

I must add here that I later found that a black coating on the remote had peeled off and in place of 'Ultravocs' the label below read 'Samesay' and that I found the 'Samesay dock in an electronic shop later. Don't know whether the Torvin Dock is a modded one or just a re-labelling job.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back