Need help on deciding USB 7.1 sound card

solairajesh

Hi All,

I plan to buy "Sabrent USB-SND8 8-Channel 3D USB 2.0 External 7.1 Surround Sound Box with Digital Output" from amazon. I planned to install it with my laptop and creative 5.1 multimedia home theater. Here comes my questions,

1. How will be the quality of USB 5.1 sound card? Will this be a true surround?

2. This sound card has a optical/SPDIF input, so can this be used with my LG LED TV which have optical output? Can I install my same multimedia 5.1 creative with my TV as well?

Please clarify this. I am in a great confusion. :(

Amazon LINK :

Sabrent USB-SND8 8-Channel 3D USB 2.0 External 7.1: Amazon.in: Electronics

It will give true 5.1, but you should set your media player to use the 5.1 channel analog out and use 5.1 audio movies.

The optical port is for output and not for input so you can't connect the tv optical out.

Thanks much for your reply... I see there is a optical input in the sound card(Please refer the attachment optical_in.jpg). This is the reason for confusion... So i think of give my TV optical in this input and get 5.1 in my multimedia home theater.

Attachments

• optical_in.jpg
    optical_in.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 39
  • other_port.jpg
    other_port.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 39
In that case may be it can act as a 5.1 decoder by taking optical input. Please download the manual if possible. The description in amazon is not clear.

Yes, I got the manual but the information given was to connect with PC or laptop. I still have a walk through to connect this USB sound card with TV. Some of them suggest to connect this sound card to Laptop then get the Optical output from TV to this sound card and connect the home theater from the sound card. This means laptop should be On to power the sound card and audio will work for TV. Will this work?

Probably the usb connection is needed for powering the sound card and hence need to be connected to laptop for the optical input to work. I think you can use a usb power adapter or the usb port of the tv to power the card.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back