Need help on setting up a stereo system under Rs 100k

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Dear all,

I am looking to build a bottom up (no legacy parts) audio system. I know my music needs, but have not much idea of components. Therefore, I seek your help.

Space Configuration

Room size: 300 sq ft (carpet area) rectangular hall opening into a partly open kitchen and library space (another 200 sq ft). I do not need to listen to from the kitchen, but the sound may travel into it (this may dictate the power of the speakers). So let's ideally look at a 400 sq ft space.

Speaker placement: Along the breadth of the hall on either sides of my 42" plasma (Not for movies, but that's the only space for the system). Speaker separation of about 8 ft from each other.

Primary listening place: The sofa set which is about 8 feet from the plasma at the center of the speakers.

Secondary listening place: Dining table which is around 20 ft from the plasma at the center of the speakers.

The Space raises the following questions:
1. Would bookshelves or active monitors suffice or I'd need floor standing speakers? I believe I can get higher end in the former at the same budget.
2. Would I need systems which can be calibrated to suit the room acoustics?

Music Preferences (in the following order)

Frequent listening:
- Fusion, Acoustic Lounge, & World
- Hindustani classical, Ghazal, Hindi films melody
Periodic Listening:
- Jazz Classics, Jazz Vocals
- Indipop, Sufi
- Soft rock, Classic rock
Occasional Listening:
- Dance numbers (during get togethers)
Never listen to:
- Hard rock
- Hip hop
- Electronic

The above listening preferences raises the following questions:
1. Would I need separate subwoofer given my listening preferences? I feel I won't, but need expert opinions.
2. What speakers and amps would do better justice to my music preferences which involve treble, vocals and bass, but clearly put quality above loudness.

Sound Quality Preferences

I want as much of the original recorded sound as I can hear, given my budget. That is clearly the primary objective. I don't like to dabble with equalizers. So, I'd prefer components which do not color the music in any way, even to make it sound better (according to them).

Loudness is not important, but please consider the above average hall size (at least here in Mumbai) while recommending.

Hearing all the instruments and vocals in the track is important, but not at the cost of the synchronization/harmony built in by the composer. The whole thing should sound as one piece, like it was intended. Too much brightness is not essential. Also, muffling or dullness is to be avoided.

Adequate sound staging is essential, both 2D and 3D.

Sound Source

Currently I have a collection of CDs and also more FLAC material on my hard disk. But increasingly I feel the need to go for Network attached storage. Do you think I need both? Do I have to go for a quality CD player to retain the original sound? Or can a NAS serve the same purpose? In either cases, I need recommendations. Also, do I need any other stuff, such as a DAC with the NAS? Which are the good ones? I also listen to internet radio (shoutcast) over my smartTV. I'd like to be able to listen to it on my stereo system.

Amplification
I don't understand much about it. And I don't quite understand if an integrated amp is any way a compromise in sound quality over a separate preamp. I doubt if I'd be able to go for the latter within my budget. My primary aim is to meet my SQ needs and not a lot of controls.

Movie Viewing
I might connect the system to my TV occasionally, but do not expect any sound travel etc. So, I don't need amps for the same. The purpose to connect the TV/Tata SKY to the audio system would only be to amplify the sound while listening to movies where it is desired. However, my Panasonic plasma has capable sound (also loud enough), and I don't see this as a primary need. I doubt if I would go in for a HT setup in the future, I don't quite like the idea of being surrounded by sound effects and don't watch the genre of films which usually are effect heavy. But if hooking to my stereo system can make my movie experience more enjoyable (due to clearer audio), I would consider that a plus.

Buying Preferences

1. No favorite brands. Have hardly any knowledge for that.

2. Reliability is important. I want the system to last and sound good for 10 years at least. And more.

3. The components have to be matched well, both in terms of performance and sound signature (see my SQ preferences above). I believe sensitive speakers can reduce my expenditure on amps. But do they have any disadvantages?

4. I should be able to audition somewhere in Mumbai. So, please suggest any good places with helpful advisors and choice of entry level hi-fi systems.

5. The entire package (sound source, amplification and speakers) needs to fit within the upper range of Rs 1 lac. If you genuinely believe this is insufficient, I can phase out my purchase over a few months to increase the overall budget, but would ideally like to fit it in the above constraint.

6. Prefer new components instead of preowned. Value the warranty and service, but more importantly, I lack the technical capability to judge the reliability of an old system/components.

Overall Need

Given the above, I'd be extremely grateful to have your clarifications/opinion/suggestions/advice that can help me:
1. Answer some of the questions placed above.
2. Shortlist source, amplifier and speakers for auditioning (preferably give a combo recommendation that integrates well)
3. Identify stores where I can audition and purchase the same, in Mumbai
4. Get a capable system in my budget that best serves my purpose and objectives.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you go with FS speakers rather than BS speakers for 2 reasons: Better overall sound, and you do want to listen to them from your dining area.

Don't go with a Sub, a good FS speaker will give you good musical bass.

It seems you want transparent sound and considering sound clarity, transparency, sharp bass, for your genres of music: My number one suggestion would be the Tannoy Revolution dc6t (The non SE version can be considered due to price), #2 would be PSB T6. #3 PSB T5. #4 Monitor RX6, #5 Tannoy Mercury, #6 KEF Q500, #7Monitor BX5. Of these Numbers 3, 5, 6 and 7 could be within your budget. If you can stretch a little, go for either Numbers 1 or 2. They are both really sweet sounding.

I have given it some thought based on what you've written and I hope you find the above helpful.

Once you decide on the speaker you can subsequently plan a suitable matching integrated amp from Cambridge, Nad, Marantz or Yamaha.

With the given info about the room layout, it may seem that positioning the 2 speakers to form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position may be the best option, so speakers would be roughly 7-8ft after leaving 1-2 feet space behind them.

1 Lakh is a good budget, you can probably plan to spend Rs 65 - 70k on a pair of FS speakers and 30-35k on an integrated amp.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back