Need help on Setting Up HT || Already Bought One

amitraj7

Hi All,
I am a newbie on the forum and posting for the first time, also I am a noob on HT front so looking forward to get help from all HT Gurus out here...

My sincere apologies if you feel that this seems to you as a repetion, but would be really thankfull if you guys can answer as i am really confused in this........

So coming to point, I recently bought my first Component HT system as i felt it as a killer deal. Following consists of my HT Set:
1. A/V Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR309
2. Front: Wharfedale Vardus VR-300
3. Centre: Wharfedale Vardus VR-C2
4. Rear: Wharfedale Vardus VR-S2
5. Woofer: Wharfedale Vardus VR-SUB 10

Link on detail of Wharfedale Vardus Series

MRP for the Whole Package: INR 26000/- (Its Brand New)
Shipping to India: INR 10000/-
Total Cost: INR 36000/-
Got it from Abu Dhabi, UAE.

So following are the queries i have:
1. Do yo feel guys that its a VFM system, i will only use same for watching movies.
2. I am not at all able to understand the wiring thing, after going through the forum found out that depending on distance the wires gauge varies also seems subwoofer cable is different from normal. Going through the forum i have seen that DAC cables is VFM and would like to go with that untill anyone can give me better options as i don't wana spend a bomb on wires. To give you idea my rears are around 15metre max away from amp.
3. Where can i get DAC cable at best rate in Delhi.
4.. The sales guy told that we need to caliberate the Onkyo reciever, any pointers or any kind of help on same will be great.

I would be recieving my HT in next 15 days via courier, but wana complete all my homework and shopping to start setting up my HT as soon as i recieve it.

All the help would be highly appreciated......

Kindly let me know if you need any more info to answer my queries.

Thanks for looking!

1. Do yo feel guys that its a VFM system, i will only use same for watching movies.

Though I have not heard the 309, Onkyo does make good receivers, so you should be OK.

2. I am not at all able to understand the wiring thing, after going through the forum found out that depending on distance the wires gauge varies also seems subwoofer cable is different from normal. Going through the forum i have seen that DAC cables is VFM and would like to go with that untill anyone can give me better options as i don't wana spend a bomb on wires. To give you idea my rears are around 15 metre max away from amp.

The wires are measured in terms of thickness using a metric called American Wire Gauge (AWG). The longer the length, the thicker is the wire that you need. Here is a simple table:

Upto 3 meters use 18 AWG
Between 3 and 7 meters use 16 AWG
Between 7 and 15 meters use 14 AWG
Between 15 and 20 meters use 12 AWG
Between 20 and 30 meters use 10 AWG

3. Where can i get DAC cable at best rate in Delhi.

Contact the dealers in Delhi. Look at Designer Audio - Sole Distributor for India of world-renowned brands such as Wharfedale, Quad, Phil Jones, DAC, Byford Audio, Vanguard, Vueguard, Vuemax in Mumbai, India.

4.. The sales guy told that we need to caliberate the Onkyo reciever, any pointers or any kind of help on same will be great.

Calibration is the process by which you set up the sound system in the AVR. If it has an auto calibration, that is the best to use. Other you have to go speaker by speaker, and increase or decrease the test tone so that you get the same SPL from all speakers into your sitting position. You would need an SPL meter for this.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey venkat, thanks for the update bro......
Its very helpfull.......

Though I have not heard the 309, Onkyo does make good receivers, so you should be OK.
Onnkyo TX-SR309 is the latest A/V Reciever and is a updated model which replace Onkyo TX-SR308.......

The wires are measured in terms of thickness using a metric called American Wire Gauge (AWG). The longer the length, the thicker is the wire that you need. Here is a simple table:

Upto 5 meters use 18 AWG
Between 5 and 10 meters use 16 AWG
Between 10 and 18 meters use 14 AWG
Between 18 and 30 meters use 12 AWG
Between 30 and 50 meters use 10 AWG
Going on the AWG and length of the wire, just wanted to be sure the details you gave is in metre or feet, since i have seen somewhere same in feet........?

Calibration is the process by which you set up the sound system in the AVR. If it has an auto calibration, that is the best to use. Other you have to go speaker by speaker, and increase or decrease the test tone so that you get the same SPL from all speakers into your sitting position. You would need an SPL meter for this.
Any idea on pricing of SPL metre....and how to use same in setting up the HT....

I have made corrections in my original post. These are for a 8 ohm load.

An SPL meter will cost between 250 to 500 depending upon the quality. You can also use your ears as a rough SPL meter. As you change the level each speakers, just ensure they all sound the same. Run an initial setting for a few weeks and rerun it again.

Cheers

You can use the same figures as that of 8 ohms. It does not make too much difference. The lengths actually have lot of leeway.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back