Need Help regarding Power rating of speakers and choice between Amplifier & Receivers

biren.jana

Hi All

I am planning to buy a pair of Bookshelf speakers and either Integrated Amplifier/AV receiver.
My usage will be mostly Movies and music also.Music will be mostly all types of Hindi songs and Soft english songs occasionally.
I can spend around 10-12K for speakers and Receiver another 8-10K(Used)

Speaker:
I have taken Audition of CA S30,Wharfedale 10.2,Tannoy and Norge millenium speakers,i liked both Wharf and Norge but norge is in budget and doesnt look good whereas Wharf is stylish and costly too.

Q) so,if i decide to buy Norge,am i making the right decision?is there any better option with this range?
Q) how much should be the base freq like 20hz or 40khz is also good.Most of the speaker i see have rating from 40hz upwards but there are some new indian brands like the one in Dombivalli whose speakers have range from 20hz-20Khz
Q) After speaking to one dealer,he suggested to not go for Wharf and Norge as they are 6ohm speakers,either go for 4ohm or 8ohm but not 6ohm as they heat up the amp and expensive to repair

Amplifier/AV Receiver -
All suggests that for music,one shud go for Amplifier and if one choose to go for movies,then receiver.

Q) If i choose to buy Receiver,then how much difference in sound quality will be heard as compared to Amplifier.

Please suggest me some good amplifier options to use with either Wharf/Norge bookshelf speakers

All suggestion/comments awaited..

Re: Need Help regarding Power rating of speakers and choice between Amplifier & Recei

Q) so,if i decide to buy Norge,am i making the right decision?is there any better option with this range?

Look on olx.com and quickr for used deals. Used deals offer the best performance for the price but one has to know what condition the item is in.

Q) how much should be the base freq like 20hz or 40khz is also good.Most of the speaker i see have rating from 40hz upwards but there are some new indian brands like the one in Dombivalli whose speakers have range from 20hz-20Khz

These numbers only offer a general idea and is usually never correct. Dont go by Fq range. Go by what your ears like or something that is double the value of your budget.

Q) After speaking to one dealer,he suggested to not go for Wharf and Norge as they are 6ohm speakers,either go for 4ohm or 8ohm but not 6ohm as they heat up the amp and expensive to repair

Complete hogwash. Impedance is a relative measure of how much the speaker draws. However a speaker can never draw more than an amp can provide. This only applies for magnet based drivers and not electrostatics.

All magnet based speakers have dynamic impedance draw. For example an 8ohm speakers can often dip to 3.6ohm depending on what the signal demands. 8ohm usually means they are a little more efficient and are not constant power hunger like a 4ohm. Where as a 4ohm will always demand higher quality power for producing a better sound. 6ohm is the best of both worlds and an honest approximation instead of misleading 4 or 8ohm at these low price brackets.

Amplifier/AV Receiver -
All suggests that for music,one shud go for Amplifier and if one choose to go for movies,then receiver.

Q) If i choose to buy Receiver,then how much difference in sound quality will be heard as compared to Amplifier.

The difference lies in the presentation of sound.

For example receivers normally are not able to produce the fine subtle details of a music track which are barely audible.

Where as at the same time, a receiver can have very fast and tight grip on the bass and control of sound for offering a better movie experience.

Content vs Experience

Re: Need Help regarding Power rating of speakers and choice between Amplifier & Recei

Look on olx.com and quickr for used deals. Used deals offer the best performance for the price but one has to know what condition the item is in.

These numbers only offer a general idea and is usually never correct. Dont go by Fq range. Go by what your ears like or something that is double the value of your budget.

Complete hogwash. Impedance is a relative measure of how much the speaker draws. However a speaker can never draw more than an amp can provide. This only applies for magnet based drivers and not electrostatics.

All magnet based speakers have dynamic impedance draw. For example an 8ohm speakers can often dip to 3.6ohm depending on what the signal demands. 8ohm usually means they are a little more efficient and are not constant power hunger like a 4ohm. Where as a 4ohm will always demand higher quality power for producing a better sound. 6ohm is the best of both worlds and an honest approximation instead of misleading 4 or 8ohm at these low price brackets.

The difference lies in the presentation of sound.

For example receivers normally are not able to produce the fine subtle details of a music track which are barely audible.

Where as at the same time, a receiver can have very fast and tight grip on the bass and control of sound for offering a better movie experience.

Content vs Experience

Firstly thanks for the detailed reply.
although i want few suggestions just to make my mind.
Is norge a good choice?
And which receiver will u suggest which can provide both better sound and connection options to upgrade in future

Thanks once again

Well.. I have a different way of doing things so cant really suggest a model. However what I CAN suggest is, forget all these models numbers and brands for a moment. Go to every single AV store you can and audition everything they are willing to let you audition.

understand the sound
understand yourself
understand what kind of sound you like first
it does not matter what price the amp or avr is
First, you must, recognize, understand, your "self's" desire and why you're being driven to get a new setup.

Once you do this, you will see that even a cheap little thing can produce that small little detail that super expensive huge things often miss out on.

As a company norge is good.
Many people here own norge.
Norge is completely made in india so youd also help the economy indirectly.
Because the're made here service will also be easy.

Remember, sound is not like video. Sound has a psychological effect very different from video. It's pure creation. It's the life of this universe!

generally for speakers at this budget - the more the freq range the worse the speaker will sound.

cheers

Well.. I have a different way of doing things so cant really suggest a model. However what I CAN suggest is, forget all these models numbers and brands for a moment. Go to every single AV store you can and audition everything they are willing to let you audition.

understand the sound
understand yourself
understand what kind of sound you like first
it does not matter what price the amp or avr is
First, you must, recognize, understand, your "self's" desire and why you're being driven to get a new setup.

Once you do this, you will see that even a cheap little thing can produce that small little detail that super expensive huge things often miss out on.

As a company norge is good.
Many people here own norge.
Norge is completely made in india so youd also help the economy indirectly.
Because the're made here service will also be easy.

Remember, sound is not like video. Sound has a psychological effect very different from video. It's pure creation. It's the life of this universe!

Thanks
will audition lots of them and then only i will decide

generally for speakers at this budget - the more the freq range the worse the speaker will sound.

cheers

ok,then what range is considered as best for bookshelf speakers?

Very complex question dude, in general try to not look at the freq range at all as a measuring tool, rather just to get an idea .

For example a bookshelf that is small which says 70hz lowest, it actually..cant produce 70hz.. however depending on the quality of the driver and the size / design of the port... it CAN produce a fast and punchy presentation of low freqs to emulate a sense of low freq.

Now take a bigger bookshelf that says 30hz lowest...again depending on the driver and port, as it goes lower it might not produce a punch at all and the bass may just be bass extention that goes up and down smoothly and not punchy. This is also bass. But it's a different kind of bass. It's a matter of preference.

Just understand this

Lows are the easiest thing to produce because as you go below 60hz you need fast and large cones to dispell large amounts of air as fast as they can to produce clean bass. Normally this takes good speaker engineering and clean power fed to the woofers, otherwise it becomes bass extension transitions. And once you go under 30hz, it's mostly vibration. You know you're 30hz and below when your clothes start to flutter.

Midrange is often the hardest thing to produce and humans hear the most in the mid range. This is where maximum of audible detail resides.

Highs are a mixed bag. Highs determine ear fatigue and tonality of the setup and clarity of subtle detail without making them harsh or distorted. The tone has to be a smooth transition without vibration.

Very complex question dude, in general try to not look at the freq range at all as a measuring tool, rather just to get an idea .

For example a bookshelf that is small which says 70hz lowest, it actually..cant produce 70hz.. however depending on the quality of the driver and the size / design of the port... it CAN produce a fast and punchy presentation of low freqs to emulate a sense of low freq.

Now take a bigger bookshelf that says 30hz lowest...again depending on the driver and port, as it goes lower it might not produce a punch at all and the bass may just be bass extention that goes up and down smoothly and not punchy. This is also bass. But it's a different kind of bass. It's a matter of preference.

Just understand this

Lows are the easiest thing to produce because as you go below 60hz you need fast and large cones to dispell large amounts of air as fast as they can to produce clean bass. Normally this takes good speaker engineering and clean power fed to the woofers, otherwise it becomes bass extension transitions. And once you go under 30hz, it's mostly vibration. You know you're 30hz and below when your clothes start to flutter.

Midrange is often the hardest thing to produce and humans hear the most in the mid range. This is where maximum of audible detail resides.

Highs are a mixed bag. Highs determine ear fatigue and tonality of the setup and clarity of subtle detail without making them harsh or distorted. The tone has to be a smooth transition without vibration.

ok..ok...i must say i got good amount of knowledge from ur replies :) Now i will not have any difficulty in buying the bookshelves that i want...will get back to u once i buy them

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back