Need help to connect HD Media player to HTS

revanth73

Hi,

Recently i bought 'Denon 1312 HTS' and 'Western Digital HD Media player'.

Connected HD Media player to LCD TV through HDMI Cable.
Connected TV to Home Theater system through Optical Cable.

Now when i play dolby digital videos or songs, the display in Denon shows as "PL II M". Iam not sure what that means.

Can any one suggest the proper connection between TV,HTS and Media Player? so that i can get the correct output. Also suggest whether to use optical cable or HDMI cable

Thanks in Advance,
Revanth

Connect your WDM Player to Receiver (Input) thru HDMI and then connect Receiver (Output) to TV thru HDMI.. You'll get what you want. TV generally do not output 5.1 channel output...

Hope this helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. Connect as follows:

HD Player HDMI Out > HDMI IN of AVR
HDMI out of AVR > HDMI in of TV.

Also make sure that the video you are playing is 5.1 ac3 or dts. Sometimes aac files will need to convert to ac33 for getting true 5.1.

Now when i play dolby digital videos or songs, the display in Denon shows as "PL II M". Iam not sure what that means.

PL II means Dolby Pro logic II ...... meaning your receiver is getting 2 channel input and is distributing it to 5.1 audio, which is pseudo 5.1

Connect your AVR as the mates have described in the above posts...... Ideally all connections (from various sources) should go in to AVR via HDMI/Coax/Component etc and the out of AVR should go to the display via HDMI.

Tried below configuration....

My Denon has Optical Input(TV). Also WD Media player has optical output.

connected Media player and TV through HDMI cable(for video).
and
connected Media player and Denon HTS through Optical cable(for audio)

Now i can see Dolby in Denon when i play songs/movies. But Please suggest either HDMI cable or Optical cable gives the best output.

HDMI cable can transfer both audio and video. Then why you need two cables when a single one can do the same?

Tried below configuration....

My Denon has Optical Input(TV). Also WD Media player has optical output.

connected Media player and TV through HDMI cable(for video).
and
connected Media player and Denon HTS through Optical cable(for audio)

Now i can see Dolby in Denon when i play songs/movies. But Please suggest either HDMI cable or Optical cable gives the best output.

Check the sub-forum on connections and read the sticky thread on the order of quality for various sections.

Use the connections suggested by baijuxavior, they will ensure you get the best quality.

The connection you have done is nothing wrong. If you have spare HDMI cable and your AVR does HDMI passthrough on standby, use WD->HDMI->TV->HDMI->AVR setup, but you will have to keep power to AVR always on though you won't need to keep it powered on.

AS you already have optical cable and if you don't have another HDMI, your present connections would work just fine.

Back