Need help to decide AVR, Rs 1 lac

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi
I have been ruminating about replacing my old receiver, the Yamaha RX-V650 which is connected in 7.1 to Quad Lite (old model) fronts, centre and sub with Morel soundspot rears. My room size is 17' x 13' and it is a living room.
I have kinda decided to buy in India. I do want to have a 7.1 set-up plus a speaker B option. Twin HDMI outs are important.

I have been trawling the net for the past few weeks and have narrowed it down to the Marantz 7008 and the Pioneer SC-LX76 or 77. More research after some suggestions in my last thread has changed things a bit. The Yamaha RX-A1020 would also have been on the list but for its large size. It's just too deep for my AV rack. The Pioneers just about make it! The Marantz is ideal.
The Marantz weighs in at 13.6 Kg while the Pioneers are 17.7 Kg. Does that say anything?
This selection is only from feature lists, reviews and various forum discussions (not my postings) as I have no chance of any demo where I live. Is anybody using any of these? Has anyone demoed the Marantz and either of the Pioneers side by side?
Will these receivers be overkill in my smallish room in which case, what would be suitable?
Is the SC-LX77 much of an improvement over the LX76?
Will my present speakers be suitable for any of these receivers? Which one will be best?

The Audyssey XT32 with subEQ in the Marantz is possibly a major feature. I would like to know, apart from the subEQ, how does the XT32 compare with the Pioneer MCACC?
I am also intrigued by the Audyssey DSX. Is it very effective? It does need additional speakers. Is anyone using it in a 9.1/9.2 configuration? The DSX is supposed to benefit small rooms as per the Audyssey website, A Practical Guide to Audyssey DSX | Audyssey (Scroll down to the comments section).
The Pioneer has class D amplification which should run much cooler than other receivers. Has anyone actually seen that?

I do not plan to change my speakers for another two years or so after which I might be shifting house where I will have a dedicated room. This change of residence is still quite undecided.
If I do need to change the speakers now, they will need to be small. I have looked into this rather superficially and have liked the B&W MT50 and the Q Acoustics 7000i. This is, again only from the net. Haven't found any reviews or discussions on the new Quad Lite system. I really like my present sub!
In a more ideal setting, I would have liked to consider the likes of Dali Zensor 1, PSB Imagine Mini or MA BX2 setups. That is the consideration in retaining the present setup until a possible shift of residence.

I have also bought a Pioneer BDP450 blu ray player.

Would love to have suggestions and opinions.

Nearly a century in views but no replies?:sad:
Please experts. Help is needed here:sos:
Some are busy with the Whathifi show, I know.

This will be mostly for movies and am starting up with a few SACDs. Not sure how far that will go.

Do you have a first shortlist?

In your budget you can get some decent AVRs. Specially Onkyo and Marantz ones are good these days. Search the forum for details. Also call up your nearest Onkyo and Marantz dealers to see what they have to offer. Then post here for nailing down from the available choices.

HTH.

Do you have a first shortlist?

In your budget you can get some decent AVRs. Specially Onkyo and Marantz ones are good these days. Search the forum for details. Also call up your nearest Onkyo and Marantz dealers to see what they have to offer. Then post here for nailing down from the available choices.

HTH.

Yes, I have shortlisted Marantz SR7008 and Pioneer SC-LX76/77. I could consider the Pioneer LX56/57 instead if they are not noticeably different to the 76/77.
I had the Onkyo 818 and the Yamaha 2020 also on the list but they are too large for my rack.
Now I am reading good things about the new Onkyo 727 as well.

You should try for NAD,CA,Arcam AVR's, with your budget;might have to stretch a little.

Yeah, I did think on those but as it is I am stretching a bit at least on the 7008. Would ideally like to keep it this side of the six figure mark. You can see that I am also looking at the Pio LX56/57 and now even the Onkyo 727. These are around 72-75k, I believe.

Also call up your nearest Onkyo and Marantz dealers to see what they have to offer. Then post here for nailing down from the available choices.
5.gif

You have a pretty good budget to stat with. Hence plan budgeting individually on Source+amplification+Output+ connectors etc.

Marantz,Denon,Yamaha,NAD,CA,Rotel,Pioneer are well known and available brand mostly.So take say about 2-3 Months. Plan for audition from different outlets parallely Just spend some time with the FM's who are near by and already having such setup before and get their views.

But personally i suggest to plan for individual purchase of Speakers atleast Fronts and Sub separately. As i understand you never always watch movies and Boxed 5.1 speakers cannot satisfy the thirst of Music,IMHO.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back