need help to set up a home theatre with limited budget

Dear friends i am new to this forum.Planning to buy a home theatre.As i have gone through many forums and reviews i have decided not to go for samsung,sony, lg etc.
My choices are now Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo receiver and same or other brand speakers also HTIBs from these brands can be recommended within my budget . My plan is to buy in stages means i cant afford at a time.my budget is from 40k to 45k in two instalments that is first i will get a receiver then speakers after 3 or 4 months.till then i will use my old panasonic 5.1 surround speakers.

My use will be Airtel dth hd channals/dvd or blueray movies/music in 70/20/10 percent.Mine is a medium sized hall(approx 12X16 feet) with Sony Bravia 32 inch LCD TV.I basically want chilled treble with thumping bass.Means i like real heavy bass even in low volumes something which will thump our chest when we hear( hope you understand what I try to mean).

Please hlep as i want to buy within 1 or 2 weeks time.Thanks in advance friends.

My plan is to buy in stages means i cant afford at a time.my budget is from 40k to 45k in two instalments that is first i will get a receiver then speakers after 3 or 4 months.

With 40-45K, I don't think you will be able to buy avr + 5.1 speakers. An entry level avr would cost around 25K. Bookshelf around 13-15K, centre at least 6K, surround 6K and subwoofer around 15K at least so total will be around 65-70K.

However, here is some option.

Pioneer VSX-323-K AV Receiver - Rs17250

Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 - Rs.22,500.

Total = Rs.39,750 and its within your budget. :yahoo::clapping:

U can go for Yamaha yht 299, its a good deal according to ur budget , get the demo of the same

Sorry friend i was little busy with pongal and then went for few demos. Local seller says yamaha systems are nowadays not good.Denon and Onkyo are better in this field now.shall i go with his words?

With 40-45K, I don't think you will be able to buy avr + 5.1 speakers. An entry level avr would cost around 25K. Bookshelf around 13-15K, centre at least 6K, surround 6K and subwoofer around 15K at least so total will be around 65-70K.

However, here is some option.

Pioneer VSX-323-K AV Receiver - Rs17250

Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 - Rs.22,500.

Total = Rs.39,750 and its within your budget. :yahoo::clapping:
Thanks a lot friend for your reply.I went through few demos and discussed with local sellers and understood my budget is quit low.So i decided to get better one also i want to get a decent av receiver(7.1 not 5.1) and good set of speakers.Local seller says floor standing speakers are better always and he showed a demo. so i am extending my budget to now 65 to 75k or slightly more(5k) to get a decent system.So please suggest a good receiver and speakers combination. Thanks in advance friend.

Thanks a lot friend for your reply.I went through few demos and discussed with local sellers and understood my budget is quit low.So i decided to get better one also i want to get a decent av receiver(7.1 not 5.1) and good set of speakers.Local seller says floor standing speakers are better always and he showed a demo. so i am extending my budget to now 65 to 75k or slightly more(5k) to get a decent system.So please suggest a good receiver and speakers combination. Thanks in advance friend.

If you don't need HDMI & open to used stuff, an used AVR (Non HDMI) can save you at least 20K which you can invest on speakers now.... & @ a lter point of time, you can invest on new AVR....

Since you love chest thumping bass, why not start with a good AVR and a 2.1 system? You can choose a good sounding bookshelves / entry level FS and a powerful sub. You can later add center channel and surrounds.

Just my 2 cents.

I have Onkyo (HTS 320), Denon(2310) and Marantz(NR 1402) AVRs in my home in three different rooms. I feel Onkyo gives your sharp treble, Denon is balanced compared to Onkyo and a good movie performer and Marantz is good for movies and music. BTW, I hate Denon AVR for music :).

Why don't you just go to some of the high end local A/V stores with your favorite movie DVDs and start auditioning? For your preference, you can start with a Denon AVR + Polk speaker + sub combo. Not very musical according to me, but a great movie performer combo. Another combo is Yamaha/Denon AVR + Wharfedale speakers. Another choise it to try Onkyo + Klipsch if you can bear the top end shrillness of this combo :). You can also check out Sonodyne Avant series speakers with Denon/Yamaha AVR. Avant series are absolute VFM performers if you are okay to consider Indian made speakers :).

-John.

You can check Harmon Kardon AVR 70 which would cost you about 25k with JBL Cinema 500. The entire package will cost you about 65K and they are very good speakers !!!

Thanks a lot for your replies my friends. As i am from a small place(Tirunelveli from Tamilnadu) i dont have much options to have demos of various receivers and speakers.I spoke to one sound engineer here.He looks like not a lay man, a reasonably good professional guy.He installs audiovisual equipments in theatres,churches school and college auditoriums. Also he has supplied almost 15 systems to my collegues(fellow doctors working with me) I had a look to his demo piece in his shop.He himself makes amplifiers and speakers with imported materials.After having a long discussion with him he gave me two options of 7.1 and 7.2 sound systems and has given the quotations for both.i have enclosed herewith what he has quoted to me.Some technical aspects i cannot understand which few experts here can understand.So please spend your valuable time with this quote and please suggest me whether i can go ahead with this setup.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
1. 7.1 DTS Home theatre Amplifire(7.1 sub out400Watts &7.2 400x2way)
Front 6 Speakers with Magnetic Tweeter with Tower Box 39
( PEERLESS-Denmark) - ( 7.2 - 6 speakers 2 Nos per box)
4 Ohms, 150W-Dual Magnet with Bass Box
Mica Finished - ( 7.2 - Painting finish)
Per Channel 120 Watts - ( 7.2 150 Watts)
Sub woofer 12 front Loading Type - PIONEER Japan
- ( 7.2 10Acoustic Subwoofer
With net work 1 No
Front Loading Type 1 No)
2. Mid Rear , Surrend Rear and Centre - 4 Speakers EV or Pioneer,Jbl Or Equalent
Per channel 80 Watts- 4 Ohms
Mica Finished ( 7.2 Pinted Box )

Installation Materials& LABOUR Rs 2500.00 Cable Rs 4000
7.1 Rs 70000.00
7.2 Rs - 90000.00 ( less Acoustic Sub woofer Rs 14000 if one sobwoofer is enough now)

Terms & conditions :
Exclusions : Acoustic soundproofing, Civil works, electrical wiring DVD Player,Projector, TV, Computers & any other item not specifically mentioned in our offer. However if you required can be supplied at additional cost on the model to be chosen by you.
Time Frame : 15 -20 working days from the date of confirmation of order and receipt of Full Advance - payment. DD / CHEQUE in the name of AUDIO ORBIT.
Installation : Free of cost (Wiring, Electrical work to be born by you)
Payment : 75% advance payment, 25% against delivery. VAT EXCLUDED.
Validity : 15 Days from the date of this offer.
Warranty : One year total replacement warranty from the date of installation of amplifiers only

For AUDIO ORBIT Customer Signature

Proprietor
[email protected] Audio Orbit

^ near 1 lakh, and warranty only for amplifier???

im not audiophole enough to comment if that custom build is good or not, but i would be wary of buying any non branded local ones, if they do not stand by their products!!

tirunelveli is not small, and its well connected to chennai.... hop on a ac bus, do an audition of the major brands, go back to tirunelveli the same night, and order from anyone who gives you a good price+safe shipping!!!!

sir u should think spending a lakh in audio is not a onetime spree , always there is a chance for upgrade ,so spend wisely. in case if u want to upgrade later... local products , unbranded will fetch u nothing.
invest in speakers first the speaker tech will not going to change in near future. then go for electronic components which will change every year
hope this is will help u

^ near 1 lakh, and warranty only for amplifier???

im not audiophole enough to comment if that custom build is good or not, but i would be wary of buying any non branded local ones, if they do not stand by their products!!

tirunelveli is not small, and its well connected to chennai.... hop on a ac bus, do an audition of the major brands, go back to tirunelveli the same night, and order from anyone who gives you a good price+safe shipping!!!!

Thanks a lot friend.I hope you are from tamilnadu.Can you please suggest few places in Chennai where i can more number of systems, various combinations of receivers and speakers for demo.I will go to Chennai and will try to see before finalising.Thanks once more.

sir u should think spending a lakh in audio is not a onetime spree , always there is a chance for upgrade ,so spend wisely. in case if u want to upgrade later... local products , unbranded will fetch u nothing.
invest in speakers first the speaker tech will not going to change in near future. then go for electronic components which will change every year
hope this is will help u
Thanks a lot friend.I really take your words.Actually i am not a person who likes loud music. What i really want is a nice crisp treble with tight bass even in in low volume.So will you please suggest me how to start building my home theatre? from where to start?Then how to upgrade in steps?Please spend your some valuable time and reply me with most details.Thanks in advance.Also one more thing shall go with yamaha-299?how good it is?so economical and well within my budget.

I really like to have that theatre experience in my room.like sounds moving from one side to other side, somebody clapping and laughing and that sound coming from behind and tight thumping bass.I am not very good in this field. thatswhy i try to explain in my own words. Hope you can understand what i like to have and suggest me accordingly pls.

Last edited:
Yht 299 is a good buy... However avr+speakers setup will be better than htib like yama 299, and they (speakers, av receiver) can be upgraded individually...

Keep a budget of 70k initially... You can get a good av receiver and two front speakers in that... Then set aside some money every month and add the other components as needed... Step by step you can even build a 7.1 setup...

Patience is the key!

Im from chennai and if you click on my profile and look at the threads created by me, you ll find answer to some of your queries.. I had the same queries last month and forum members helped me out... PM me if you need anything else!

1) My first advice, do a lot of research on the net.

2) Search for what is available to you new or used.

3) Decide what you want to go for, I mean AVR + Floors or AVR + bookshelves.

4) Make sure you like the sound of what you hear after a demo.

5) Please do not buy unbranded as these do not have any resale value.

6) Generally speaking Japanese electronics are easiest to use, Brit based speakers are the best and American subs are good. There are of course exceptions but this is just a starter for you and not meant for our FMs :).

7) That quotation of yours is no good. Forget it. For Rs 90,000 you can get a killer system.

8) Watch out for ads in our forum. You can get bargain systems which are very good in your budget.

This is but a rough guide, see how it benefits you.

Vinod

Can you suggest a center for 6K, with polk fronts and Denon X1000 AVR

Well friends i have been doing lot of researches in the net for the past two months getting more and more confused about the set up. Thatswhy i didn't post anything.Now the thing is my brother is going to Germany for a short trip this month.So i want to get the av receiver atleast from there because prices are very much cheaper there in ebay.de and amazon.de.He has promised he can bring along with him after purchasing through one of his friends there. Then i can take that receiver with me and go for speaker auditions in Chennai and decide about the speakers later.

Since i wont get this kind of chance again in near future i dont want to lose this. So please suggest me an av receiver.As i said my main use will be 90% movies and airtel hd stb and 10% music. I have shortlisted ONKYO 626, PIONEER 923, SONY 840 and YAMAHA 675. Other options are also open.

So please suggest as early as possible. Also please suggest accessories like speaker cables,connectors and hdmi cables which i can get cheap from there now itself.Thanks in advance friends.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back