Need help to split hdmi video & optical audio.

Hello all,

From my laptop hdmi cable, i want to send "hdmi video" to projector, and "OPTICAL audio" to avr.

Is this because you are not able to send multichannel out thru HDMI?

Try to get a used media player like Asus O play mini /Western Digital live from FM here or thru OLX, which can bitstream to AVR (or) try to pick an used PC (dual core would do) and add a graphics card..

Hey MaSh...
Thank a lot for the link...both hdmi work simultaniously in your setup?? Did you see any quality drop or hanging issue etc ??..

i saw a few products like this.... in some reviews people say only one hdmi out is working at a time.

May be i just have to try my luck;)

(And ... by the way I followed you and went ahead to buy a pj without too much brainstorming. Im happy finally :yahoo:

Try to get a used media player like Asus O play mini /Western Digital live from FM here or thru OLX, which can bitstream to AVR (or) try to pick an used PC (dual core would do) and add a graphics card..

Hello elangoas,

I connected my present setup like this
Laptop(hdmi) --> AVR(hdmi) --> PJ
It looks like my AVR has an issue with video signal pass through. The video is not coming out of pj.

Same thing happened with my earlier setup shown below:
Airter DTH (hdmi) --> AVR(hdmi) --> LG55"tv. (the tv did not recieve video signal from avr. It did not detect the avr at all. (so i fed hdmi video to tv, and optical audio to avr separately. it worked well)

With both the above cases, im guessing my avr video pass through has an issue.

So im trying to send video directly to PJ and audio to avr. Thats why im searching for hdmi + optical audio splitter.

there are many splitters out there... but reviews show some or other problem... I m trying to find which one works fine...

Hey MaSh...
Thank a lot for the link...both hdmi work simultaniously in your setup?? Did you see any quality drop or hanging issue etc ??..

i saw a few products like this.... in some reviews people say only one hdmi out is working at a time.

May be i just have to try my luck;)

(And ... by the way I followed you and went ahead to buy a pj without too much brainstorming. Im happy finally :yahoo:
Yes both work simultaneously. So I have pc connected to the receiver and the receiver output connected to the splitter. One output is connected to a 10 foot hdmi for projector and the other going to the TV. I have tried with TV and projector, both switched on and they both have display. Sound is played by the receiver as usual. No drop in display quality, at least not to my eyes.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

ooh... thats great to know...
In my case im "guessing" my reciever video output itself is a problem. it is not passing through video signal.

So I want to split video and audio first, and send them separately to pj and avr. I have to try my luck though :)

If my observation is correct that my AVR has a VIDEO pass through issue, its a nice idea to buy a media player instead of buying a HDMI splitter !! I get hdmi, optical, etc etc output options that i can use right away ... :)

In my case im "guessing" my reciever video output itself is a problem. it is not passing through video signal.

So I want to split video and audio first, and send them separately to pj and avr. I have to try my luck though :)

If my observation is correct that my AVR has a VIDEO pass through issue

What is your AVR model # ?.. & what is your current video settings in your AVR.. Hope you have gone thru the AVR manual for video settings..

my avr is HTR2064 from yamaha YHT 196. Just now I had a quick look on the operational manual pdf.

I noticed a few settings that I don't think I have tried earlier !!!
In the appendix section there are some trouble shooting tips too.
Im in office now.... and I can't wait to go back and try !!! ... thank you elangoas !!!

Last edited:
I noticed a few settings that I don't think I have tried earlier !!!
In the appendix section there are some trouble shooting tips too.
Im in office now.... and I can't wait to go back and try !!! ...

Try them.. Also if you still have issues, post them in Yamaha owners thread & someone will pitch in with solution..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back