Need help with Hathway ZTE router/WD EX 2 NAS/HTPC

arnprasad

Hi.. a bit difficult to explain my predicament..let me know if further clarifications are required.

In my ground floor - I have the Western Digital (WD) EX2 My cloud in RAID 1 config (4 TB+4TB where I have saved all my audio and video). . Earlier I had Act broadband. I connected both my desktop and WD to the router by LAN cables and I am able to discover the WD and I can map it as Z drive on my desktop and view movies on Kodi and also copy files to and fro between WD and desktop. I have a laptop as well and WD is also mapped to it as Z drive.

Couple of months back I replaced ACT with hathway and they gave me a ZTE router. However my desktop refuses to discover WD when I connect both of them to the ZTE router. I tried all sorts of troubleshooting since WD EX2 is not just a dumb hard drive and WD forums lots of people are having issues with discovery.

In my first floor I have a desktop and also few other gadgets like laptops, echo dot, google mini...etc. So I have connected a Xiaomi router to my ground floor router by a 50 foot LAN cable. this gives me wifi as well as LAN connection to first floor devices.

As explained above, after having failed with two months of trouble shooting at ground floor, I got a brilliant idea (sometimes i get these :)) to take the WD to first floor and try it on my Xiaomi router - basically connect my laptop and WD to the Mi router via two LAN cables and low and behold, my laptop is able to identify the WD like before.

So I thought the culprit may be the LAN Cables I have used (I got 7-8 LAN cables) - So I brought the same successful LAN cables, WD and laptop to ground floor and connected them to hathway ZTE router and it doesnt work.

Hence there is something in the ZTE router which prevents two devices connected to it not to discover each other.

Hope the above is not confusing. Are you able to guess why this happening? Is there anything on the router settings page that is enabled/disabled that is causing this? This definitely not a hathway connection issue since the my Mi router when connected to same ZTE router seems to enable this discovery of devices.

Please help me out - I dont care about movies and music and all that - most are torrent downloads which i can download again. However my entire priceless 20 year home video collection is on it. As explained above - this WD my cloud storage is not a dumb hard drive and someone dumb like had to trouble shoot every few months even during ACT broadband days - but I was always able to connect back.

My eventual plan is that once I take a back up of my home videos on a third hard drive......I want to take out the two internal hard drives (WD red I think) and use it as 4TB internal hard drives on my two desktops. WD has made me realize in my four years of ownership that I am not smart enough to own it. Plain dumb external hard drives are what I deserve

I brought this bloody WD storage after watching the below video 5 years back. It has given me nothing but grief since day one..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back