need help with projector and screen selection

siva r

hello,
am a new kid on the block as far as knowledge on audio/video systems go..
reading all the experts advise here and quite thankful to all the knowledge gained in past 2 days.
I am trying to build a good home theatre environment in my new home..
It would be in the living room and the size of the room would be approx. 150 sq.ft. (13 * 11). So not a dedicated room purely for HT needs..
had bought a Sony AV receiver with Bose AM7 some 16 yrs back.. and now want to get into better stuff. Also looking to get into a good DLP projector + screen..

My overall budget was 2L.. Overall this is what I was thinking..
1. Grandview 120" Manual PullDown (16:9) -- budgeting 18k here
2. BenQ W1070 DLP projector (Full HD / 3D) - budgeting 1L
3. NAD T748 AV receiver - budgeting 55k
4. Cables for audio/video purposes - budgeting 25K
5. Pioneer DV 420-V player : 6-7k
6. 2TB (or 4TB) Hard Disk for Media files - 5-6k

My questions on above
1. On speakers.. I have read that Bose AM7 speakers with NAD T748 receiver is as shitty as it gets.. The budget for NAD speakers 5.1 is 60k which goes beyond my budget. Can I use my existing AM7 for now, and upgrade it to better quality later on perhaps a year or 2 later. Would there be any compatibility challenges between NADT748 and Bose AM7. Pls do note that I am more of an old Hindi Songs/Pop and some Instrumental/Carnatic.. Not much into Movies watching though I hope to get that started..

2. How do the BenQ projectors of the 40-50K range (HD) differ from the W1070.. Am aware of the higher resolution.. Would the W1070 be an overkill for somebody like me who has NEVER watched movies at home.. and I was ok even with the LG-HW300G (at a friends place) which was a 40K LED projector..

3. From a service perspective, LaKozy in Mumbai/Pune is one of the reasons why I feel comfortable with NAD.. Any alternatives to NAD T748..(I live in Pune, btw)..

4. Anything I am missing on including..

Sorry for the long one.. and excuse me if some basic ignorance in above.. Just learning from you all and appreciate all your assistance..

Siva

hi welcome to forum
regarding ur queries i suggest always go for top end value for money products
1070 benq will be the choice for ur projection than lg
do some research regarding dlp vs 3lcd technologies pros and cons
build ur system slowly and after several auditions .
if u havent any resevations go for used av gears which will save lot of bucks
dont select products based on service part only
ur budget allocation is toooo much for cabling

hello,
1. Grandview 120" Manual PullDown (16:9) -- budgeting 18k here
2. BenQ W1070 DLP projector (Full HD / 3D) - budgeting 1L
3. NAD T748 AV receiver - budgeting 55k
4. Cables for audio/video purposes - budgeting 25K
5. Pioneer DV 420-V player : 6-7k
6. 2TB (or 4TB) Hard Disk for Media files - 5-6k

Can help you with the prices for these things below -

Elegant 120" manual pull down - 7K (Grandview IMO sometimes is an overkill for the price - 19K)

BenQ W1070 ST - 78K if you get it directly from Amazon.com (Amazon.com : BenQ W1080ST 1080p 3D Short Throw DLP Home Theater Projector (White) : Video Projectors : Electronics) - I have included the cost of import duties and an expedited delivery as well (5-9 days)

3D Glasses from Sainsonic - You can get them from ebay India or any friend travelling from APAC/Continental Europe/UK/US - 10K maximum (for 4 pairs)

Cables for Audio/Video - maximum of 10K even if you go for gold plated HDMI Connectors and Optical Cables. I have considered a 25ft HDMI cable in your calculation.
HDMI - Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 FT) - Category-HOZ | eBay
Audio Cable - BELKIN Digital Optical Audio Cable Toslink 2m Gold Plated Black F3Y093BF 2M | eBay

3D Blu Ray player - 7K
PHILIPS 3D BLU RAY DVD BDP2180: Amazon.in: Electronics

WDTV Media Player - 7K
WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Western Digital WiFi WDBGXT0000NBK-SESN +BILL | eBay

WD 2TB Hard Disk USB 3.0 - 8.5K
Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Disk (Black): Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

What more do you want now ? :yahoo:

And yes if you are in and around Chennai, call me and I will do the setup for a couple of good beers or single malt :p

Can help you with the prices for these things below -

Elegant 120" manual pull down - 7K (Grandview IMO sometimes is an overkill for the price - 19K)

BenQ W1070 ST - 78K if you get it directly from Amazon.com (Amazon.com : BenQ W1080ST 1080p 3D Short Throw DLP Home Theater Projector (White) : Video Projectors : Electronics) - I have included the cost of import duties and an expedited delivery as well (5-9 days)

3D Glasses from Sainsonic - You can get them from ebay India or any friend travelling from APAC/Continental Europe/UK/US - 10K maximum (for 4 pairs)

Cables for Audio/Video - maximum of 10K even if you go for gold plated HDMI Connectors and Optical Cables. I have considered a 25ft HDMI cable in your calculation.
HDMI - Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 FT) - Category-HOZ | eBay
Audio Cable - BELKIN Digital Optical Audio Cable Toslink 2m Gold Plated Black F3Y093BF 2M | eBay

3D Blu Ray player - 7K
PHILIPS 3D BLU RAY DVD BDP2180: Amazon.in: Electronics

WDTV Media Player - 7K
WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Western Digital WiFi WDBGXT0000NBK-SESN +BILL | eBay

WD 2TB Hard Disk USB 3.0 - 8.5K
Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Disk (Black): Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

What more do you want now ? :yahoo:

And yes if you are in and around Chennai, call me and I will do the setup for a couple of good beers or single malt :p

Have you seen the elegant screen.I am also interested in purchasing one.

thank you karthi, tintin and jidhin.. deeply appreciate the prompt revert..

after your recco of a Blu Ray player, finalized Pioneer BDP 450 instead of DV 420.. 16k..
replaced Bose AM7 with NAD 5.1 speakers..

was getting an all-in-one vendor for the above, who would take care of proper installation as well and setting etc..

budget went way over the roof overall.. but looking at it as a life long investment both in terms of learning about good hi-fi systems.. and also listening/viewing pleasure as well.. plus a fair bit of brag value as well :)..

thanks again for your help. and tintin- the beer is definitely on me buddy when nxt in Chennai.. lotsa close friends out there..

siva

after your recco of a Blu Ray player, finalized Pioneer BDP 450 instead of DV 420.. 16k..

was getting an all-in-one vendor for the above, who would take care of proper installation as well and setting etc..

budget went way over the roof overall.. but looking at it as a life long investment both in terms of learning about good hi-fi systems.. and also listening/viewing pleasure as well.. plus a fair bit of brag value as well :)..

thanks again for your help. and tintin- the beer is definitely on me buddy when nxt in Chennai.. lotsa close friends out there..

siva

I bought my LG PA75U projector and wall mount from SP road bangalore for Rs. 950/-. Now I'm looking for a 10x8 manual screen. Can some one point to a right person with good price point?

I came across DAC brand is suitable for HDMI cable. I'm planning to buy a 15m pack.

Last edited:

siva
If u ddon't mind can u pl share the pricing for NAD 5.1 speakers and along wihwith the Dealer details.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back