Need Help with Projector Prices ( Panasonic AE4000, Epson 8350 or Optoma HD20 )

Karmic

Hi Guys, I just needed some Help from you all regarding the Prices for the Panasonic AE4000, Epson 8350 or Optoma HD20 in Mumbai for Non Bill.
I am more inclined to Buying the Panasonic Ae4000 but was wondering if I should go for a cheaper one like the Epson 8350 or the Optoma HD20 for a bit till newer models come out maybe end of the year or early next year.
Any help or Suggestion would be great. Feel free to ridicule my choices too :).

Thanks

Sameer

I am in exactly the same boat with the same choice between projectors. I need to finalise mine before the World Cup starts.

So far I have only got quotes for Panasonic for around 1.2L in grey. Still waiting for the other projector rates.

Raghav if you get the updated prices for the projectors please do let me know. I saw the demo of all 3 Projectors here in NY & must say that the panasonic is miles ahead than the Epson and the optoma.
Good luck with your set up :)

Sameer

You should look at the pricing of the models when comparing, u can't compare a 2000$ machine with a 1000$ machine. If your budget is to buy a expensive machine then u should only look at other models available in 2000$ + pricing. In the low end budget Optoma HD 20 rocks,so take the call depending on the budget and requirement.

It is all a matter of how much cheaper. Panasonic AE4000 at 1.15L is the best at the price. What will Optoma HD20 cost? Only then can I decide whether is worth saving the money.

I want Panasonic AE4000 unless the savings are in the 50-60k range.

You should look at the pricing of the models when comparing, u can't compare a 2000$ machine with a 1000$ machine. If your budget is to buy a expensive machine then u should only look at other models available in 2000$ + pricing. In the low end budget Optoma HD 20 rocks,so take the call depending on the budget and requirement.

Raghav, where are you getting a price of 1.15L in Mumbai for the Panasonic Ae4000?
I would have carried the Panasonic from here in US To Mumbai but the unit is so bulky & huge to carry along.

Sameer

This is rate given by shop in Heera Panna. However, keep in mind that these rates are without B & W i.e. grey market. However, carrying a unit from the US would void the warranty anyways.

Raghav, where are you getting a price of 1.15L in Mumbai for the Panasonic Ae4000?
I would have carried the Panasonic from here in US To Mumbai but the unit is so bulky & huge to carry along.

Sameer

At 1.15l the panny is well worth the money. Ensure reliability of the person you are getting from and simply go for it.

All prices that I am getting are at the upper end of the band you have given. Who is selling at the lower end of the band and is the seller based in Mumbai

Grey prices :

- hd20 65-75k
- 8350 75-80k
- ae4000 95k-115k(carry in)

Regards

Hi,

I recently bought JVC DLA-HD350 (manufacturer refurbished with warranty) from ebay through bidding @ 1999USD. The product is delivered to my friend @ US which in turn he will bring to India. The seller has provided another bill showing 500USD and declaring as seconds to avoid customs duty. As this invoice is dated Jan'11 and my friend would be bringing the projector during May'11 which is almost 4 months older making it an easier exit from customs.

The projector has been tested by my friend and the only word he said was "WOW". Iam eagerly waiting for the months to pass on fast.

So, keep looking ebay.com for such deals as these expire so fast before you try to make a decision.

Who knows, you may get a good projector @ steal price!

Next task is....looking for cheap deals on anamorphic lens...

Last edited:
Mid Range Quality

Hello Sameer,

I think it is better to go for a mid range price projector like 8350 or equivalent, as far as waiting for the newer models is not a good idea because at the drop of a hat new models get launched.

The projectors are not that bulky, they can easily fit in a small bag, look at the benefits of bringing it yourself then buying from a grey market.

V.

Bulb

In general a bulb life is about 3000 hours, in replacement market the bulb would cost between Rs.12,000/- to Rs.15,000/-, while the original would be more then double the price but if you import, it will work out much cheaper.

V.

Any idea what will be the life and cost of replacement bulb for AE4000?

Panasonic AE4000 is definitely the best from the options....
I am contemplating between Panasonic PT AX200E & EPSON 8350 !

Epson8350 is not available in India whereas AX200E is for 60k in GREY here....

should i simply go for AX200E and forget about the pain of begging someone to carry it all the way from US?
how much quality or features am I really missing on ?

I have decided 90% to go with Optoma HD20. Where can I get the best rate for the same in Mumbai. So far I have an offer of 70k grey.

Also B&H Photo Video are pricing it for 60k landed cost from their US website India delivery including customs. Has anybody bought from them satisfactorily.

Raghav

"Dear Mr. Bihani,

Please find below the details of the item you enquired for.

1 Optoma Technology HD20 1700 ANSI Lumens 16:9 Projector (1y p&l, 90d lamp)
1700 ANSI Lumens 4000:1 Contrast Ratio High Definition 16:9 1080p Resolution Up To 4000 Hour Lamp Life Up to 25 Foot Picture (Diagonal) PC and Macintosh Compatible Texas Instruments DLP Display Panel Backlit Remote Control NTSC, PAL, SECAM Compatible
B&H # OPHD20 Mfr # HD20
In Stock

System: NTSC, PAL, SECAM
Power Requirements: 100 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, Auto-Switching

Our Price: $ 879.95
Discount Price: $ 862.35

Shipping to India via UPS: $ 129.65

TOTAL COST: $ 992.00
US DOLLARS NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO ONLY

Landed Cost Approx: INR 58,500.00 (includes US dollar cost, customs duty and clearing charges)"

Other Online Stores

Hello Raghav,

One of the member had imported from the firm who gave you the offer and he was saying is very happy with them but when i asked him the details twice he never came up, even if he did it was in a small part on the other hand there were members who claimed that SYW is very good and one of them went to the extent in saying that he has done at least 20 transactions and was just too happy and he told me that if i have some problems with them, he can help me by talking to the top bosses of SYW, but when i had the problem, he near about never came forward. The moral of story is simple, i will not be surprised that the guys who are advising for these stores may have a vested interest.

It is better to go through some other online stores which are being discussed on this forum as they seem to be much reliable.

While by mistake i have said in earlier post the wrong price by which i imported the 8350, correct price is Rs.84,000/-.

V.

I just got the Epson 8700UB - officially imported - and its extremely good. Its in the same price range and class as Pany AE4000.

Just an word of caution to all!!! Do not ship electronic goods as "Used Goods" thru DHL/Fedex/Vpost or any other means of shipping. Better put as new and ship it with less value. Let them decide the original value if it caught.

In customs used electronic goods are prohibited and it attracts penalty of minimum 5K + other taxes and duties. There are possibilities it may get confiscated and served notice and ultimately you will get it end up paying said charges.

Bringing by hand is our skill and talking with customs personnel.

Hi,

I recently bought JVC DLA-HD350 (manufacturer refurbished with warranty) from ebay through bidding @ 1999USD. The product is delivered to my friend @ US which in turn he will bring to India. The seller has provided another bill showing 500USD and declaring as seconds to avoid customs duty. As this invoice is dated Jan'11 and my friend would be bringing the projector during May'11 which is almost 4 months older making it an easier exit from customs.

T..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back