Need Help with selecting a Projector Screen

k_vijay12

Guys,

I ordered Optoma UHD33, and looking for a suitable screen. Initial plan was to use it directly on wall. But my projector mount is at 13'8" from the wall. Our planned seating distance is 13 ft away from the screen as well. Took help of projector central and projector screen distance app and got the input that 115" screen image is possible from this throw distance. Also 115-120 inch is ideal as per THX as well for this distance seating. So decided on 120" screen

--My room is semi dedicated --> AV room + work room + kids tv room
--Use case of projector - Kids content daily 1-2 hrs and 2-3 movies over weekends
--My curtains provide almost 80% of light blackout... rest 20% is not visible much , but some folks are saying, this projector needs total black out if i plan to use a regular matt white screen or i should get an ALR screen
-- If i buy, which all brands and models should i consider. Not keen on blowing off big money, but hearing from other users that if i dont have proper screen, its pointless of using projector where image is not clear.
--Have to decide among Fixed frame / tab tensioned vs regular motorised drop down roller screen. Scrolling back or closing the screen is helpful as i have a 3.5 yr toddler. Afraid she may do some thing.
--ALR prices r crazy, buying the material and assembling is cheaper relatively. But, is there any company that will do this in Hyderabad / India?

Happy to hear and get inputs from users of projector community!

Thanks

There is no point using a projector if the room is not completely dark.

Good ALR screens are expensive, there are some cheap ones but I don't know how they perform. Look into SI and DNP.

Please mention a budget if you have one in mind.

You can probably make the room darker by adding a second curtain. This is probably the cheapest and fastest way.

You have not mentioned your room dimensions. If you are having a wider room and seating arrangement, ALR is probably not the best option as viewing from the extreme sides will make the image look washed out.

Please mention a budget if you have one in mind.

You can probably make the room darker by adding a second curtain. This is probably the cheapest and fastest way.

You have not mentioned your room dimensions. If you are having a wider room and seating arrangement, ALR is probably not the best option as viewing from the extreme sides will make the image look washed out.
This is what I hav in mind. Enclosing a pic of all curtains closed. Pic is lil brighter than reality. if i prepare to project directly on the sunken wall, I wd get 95" only. With some wood levelling work by levelling sunk n adding the side walls, wd get 110" on ply wall. Cheaper options I have in mind

Attachments

• IMG-20230102-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20230102-WA0003.jpeg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 71
This room is too bright for a projector. It would be a waste of money. Either completely black it out or get a big TV.

This room is too bright for a projector. It would be a waste of money. Either completely black it out or get a big TV.

I agree with this. This is most likely because of the white (ish) paint. The light bleed from the right side is the main culprit.

This is what I hav in mind. Enclosing a pic of all curtains closed. Pic is lil brighter than reality. if i prepare to project directly on the sunken wall, I wd get 95" only. With some wood levelling work by levelling sunk n adding the side walls, wd get 110" on ply wall. Cheaper options I have in mind

However, if you are willing, you may go for oversized curtains on the right window after repositioning the curtain rod a little higher than its current position. The objective is to increase the overlap with the wall area above the glass and also make the curtains touch the floor to minimise light bleed. There will still be some bleed from the top but it will be significantly less compared to the current situation.

For the screen, you may want to go with a pull down / motorized one which can cover the front windows too. Not sure how wide that is, but with the curtains and the screen's own backing layer, light from the front windows will get significantly reduced.

In case you are going for a motorized or a pull down screen, there is probably no need to fill up the sunken wall with ply. You can mount the screen frame on the two raised edges (above the front windows). These type of screens are typically hung from the extreme edges only with no support in between. The frames are made of aluminium so they are quite sturdy and do not require additional support in the middle. This will also allow you to switch between the TV and the projector on demand. The screen will roll down in front of the TV when needed.

Hi Vijay,

You can try to project on the wall and experience the impact of light and then you can decide to go on buying the screen. You can check the Big Vue screens in Amazon. Its cheaper and good (one of my friends have)

I m tilting towards fixed frame projector screen.. initial shortlist ...Elite Sable Frame B2, Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Screen 120" 16:9 (SB120WH2
Mrp 40k

Although wanted a tab tensioned, This same screen material In tab tensioned is 1.1l types.

Basis of selection - screen material n long term use flexibility

Hi Vijay,

You can try to project on the wall and experience the impact of light and then you can decide to go on buying the screen. You can check the Big Vue screens in Amazon. Its cheaper and good (one of my friends have)
Wall has limitations of screen size 95". This wd imply I change projector mount position... breaking false ceiling n all. Will chk later

Hi Vijay! One thing that can be done is instead of changing the curtains, cover the edges of the window (over the glass) on all the four sides by 5-6 inches using a thick black chart. Since the existing curtains seems to be darking out the light covering the edges would help. Just try out buying a chart and see if it works.

painted with what colour bro?
Tried two colours from Asian Paints
7246- for high contrast (at a bit lower brightness)
White - for optimal brightness.
For 7246, I had to run the projector at normal mode and for white, I could run it at Lampsave
I use Benq W1800i

Finally bought and installed Elcor Pro tab tensioned motorised screen of 120". Overall experience is very good. Can't complain on the quality of the image for the price I paid for projector and screen. Enclosing a few pics.

Projector image quality is good in semi ambient light as well.

Attachments

• IMG-20230220-WA0030.jpeg
    IMG-20230220-WA0030.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20230220-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20230220-WA0013.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 45
Back