Need HT setup for DenonX2700H

Raju13

Hi, I have a Denon X2700H. My room size is 300 sqft and I would like to setup a HT system. I would like to go for QA/ JBL stage/ Polk ES. Since QA center is comparatively small I'm little worried. But I liked 3050i. Polk FS Es60 are little above my budget. But If it's worth I would go for them. I haven't heard JBLs. Any suggestions please 🙏

The QAs are amazing for HT purpose, can attest to the fact that they can easily give you an amazing HT experience if coming from Htib, satellite based HT systems or soundbar. The center is good for a 15 by 12 room and dialogue delivery is clear &with good effects. I had used Concept 20 fronts, 3090i center and 3020i rear with x2600h and were a good match.

You can also try out a Dali based setup might do a little better if you can extend your budget.

I am using a QA 5.1.2 setup with a Denon AVR where my center is an ancient 2000Ci in a 25x12.5 room and Audyssey sets the center level to -5dB or lower when measured around the center of the room. I really don't think you'll have problems with volume with a QA center unless you are planning to listen at reference levels.

The low frequency extension will be handled by the sub anyway, so you should be good there.

Thanks @fLUX and @Dwaipayan for your suggestions. @fLUX do you have any suggestions on DALI? and is there much difference between 3050, 3090C and 3020 vs 3050i, 3090Ci and 3020i. As i'm getting 3000 series at 20 k cheaper on overall package compared to 3000i series.

Option 1: is to setup with QA 3000 or 3000i series
Option 2: Polk ES15/20 as LR and ES30 as centre (might sound better than QA? (not auditioned)) and surrounds with ES10.

In either of the above cases I'll have to go with SUBs (one or two may be but not decided yet on what subs). So, If sub is necessary Do I have to still go with QA Floor standing speakers or Polk ESs whose built quality is better than QA's?

PS: Just googled what are reference levels.. could't understood much. is it about how exactly we hear as the music was made? what is required to listen at reference levels ?

Thanks @fLUX and @Dwaipayan for your suggestions. @fLUX do you have any suggestions on DALI? and is there much difference between 3050, 3090C and 3020 vs 3050i, 3090Ci and 3020i. As i'm getting 3000 series at 20 k cheaper on overall package compared to 3000i series.

Option 1: is to setup with QA 3000 or 3000i series
Option 2: Polk ES15/20 as LR and ES30 as centre (might sound better than QA? (not auditioned)) and surrounds with ES10.

In either of the above cases I'll have to go with SUBs (one or two may be but not decided yet on what subs). So, If sub is necessary Do I have to still go with QA Floor standing speakers or Polk ESs whose built quality is better than QA's?

PS: Just googled what are reference levels.. could't understood much. is it about how exactly we hear as the music was made? what is required to listen at reference levels ?

For HT a floorstander is not necessarily needed, you can save that amount towards buying a good sub.

I am not very sure if there is a huge difference between the 3020 vs the 3020i, however I think 3020 production is stopped so do check the import date on the box.

Dali Oberon series would be worth looking at, the spektor series I have never auditioned but Oberon sounded nice.

Reference levels refers to the dB levels you would be required to listen to the movie to best experience it, not sure if there is a standard of about 85dB but would let someone else add to this. Achieving this kind of reference level is not easy in a room as it can sound too loud, you will need a proper sized room and also good amount of damping & room treatment, you can ignore this aspect for now.

PS: Just googled what are reference levels.. could't understood much. is it about how exactly we hear as the music was made?

Reference levels are only applicable for movies. Music mixing is all over the place.

what is required to listen at reference levels ?

A calibrated system that is capable of 85 dB SPL playback at your listening position with an additional 20 dB of headroom for all speakers except the subwoofer (30 dB). So, potential 105 dB SPL peaks for all speakers and 115 dB SPL peaks (more if you use bass management) for subwoofers. For a more detailed reference: https://acousticfrontiers.com/blogs/Articles/THX-reference-level-explained

Unless you plan on extensively treating your room, reference level for movie playback is, for all practical purposes, a moot point. If you're interested in it though, you'll need to be sure that you buy extremely capable equipment (speakers, subwoofers and amplifiers). Conventional "hi-fi" speakers are unlikely to allow reference level playback in your size room.

I use 3030i pair for FL,FR , 3090ci , 3010i pair for surrounds, JBL 6IC pair for Atmos, Subwoofer QB12. room size 14*10. After audussey calibration, I was happy with everything. You could go for Bic America PL300 for sub too if you are going for ported

I use 3030i pair for FL,FR , 3090ci , 3010i pair for surrounds, JBL 6IC pair for Atmos, Subwoofer QB12. room size 14*10. After audussey calibration, I was happy with everything. You could go for Bic America PL300 for sub too if you are going for ported
AVR?

For HT a floorstander is not necessarily needed, you can save that amount towards buying a good sub.

I am not very sure if there is a huge difference between the 3020 vs the 3020i, however I think 3020 production is stopped so do check the import date on the box.

Dali Oberon series would be worth looking at, the spektor series I have never auditioned but Oberon sounded nice.

Reference levels refers to the dB levels you would be required to listen to the movie to best experience it, not sure if there is a standard of about 85dB but would let someone else add to this. Achieving this kind of reference level is not easy in a room as it can sound too loud, you will need a proper sized room and also good amount of damping & room treatment, you can ignore this aspect for now.
Okay @fLUX, Thanks for the explanation on reference levels. I would audition Dali oberon (Could anyone please tell in chennai where I can audition Dali?)

Reference levels are only applicable for movies. Music mixing is all over the place.

A calibrated system that is capable of 85 dB SPL playback at your listening position with an additional 20 dB of headroom for all speakers except the subwoofer (30 dB). So, potential 105 dB SPL peaks for all speakers and 115 dB SPL peaks (more if you use bass management) for subwoofers. For a more detailed reference: https://acousticfrontiers.com/blogs/Articles/THX-reference-level-explained

Unless you plan on extensively treating your room, reference level for movie playback is, for all practical purposes, a moot point. If you're interested in it though, you'll need to be sure that you buy extremely capable equipment (speakers, subwoofers and amplifiers). Conventional "hi-fi" speakers are unlikely to allow reference level playback in your size room.
Thanks for the explanation brother!

I have read so much about Indiqaudio in the forum. are they really good? what would be the budget required for Indiq?

I have read so much about Indiqaudio in the forum. are they really good? what would be the budget required for Indiq?
I have been using their towers for almost 2 years and very happy. I recently bought their new Bookshelves with their class A amp as well and couldn't be happier. Why don't you talk to them and figure out which package falls within your budget?

@Raju13

I know I’m late to this thread. But just wanted to check whether this receiver is powerful enough for your room?

I’m planning to get a used one for my home theatre.. planning to buy es20 for FR, es30 for Center and es10 for surrounds..

I have a 16*10 fully treated room.. will it be enough or should I look out for more powerful receivers?

@Raju13

I know I’m late to this thread. But just wanted to check whether this receiver is powerful enough for your room?

I’m planning to get a used one for my home theatre.. planning to buy es20 for FR, es30 for Center and es10 for surrounds..

I have a 16*10 fully treated room.. will it be enough or should I look out for more powerful receivers?
Yes it is... you may have keep the volume @ 80% ... there shouldn't be ceiling fans. Previously I used to connect the avr with my TV via eARC. Then 65-70 % of the volume was good enough... now I'm using fire stick 4k max.. it reduces the volume ... so I'll have to keep it at 80-85. Get a subwoofer too.

Hi, I have a Denon X2700H. My room size is 300 sqft and I would like to setup a HT system. I would like to go for QA/ JBL stage/ Polk ES. Since QA center is comparatively small I'm little worried. But I liked 3050i. Polk FS Es60 are little above my budget. But If it's worth I would go for them. I haven't heard JBLs. Any suggestions please 🙏

Yes it is... you may have keep the volume @ 80% ... there shouldn't be ceiling fans. Previously I used to connect the avr with my TV via eARC. Then 65-70 % of the volume was good enough... now I'm using fire stick 4k max.. it reduces the volume ... so I'll have to keep it at 80-85. Get a subwoofer too.
Thanks so much for clarifying Raju. Yeah I’ll get a subwoofer in sometime.. is it enough with height channel as well?(all 7 channel driven)

@Raju13

I have a 16*10 fully treated room.. will it be enough or should I look out for

Thanks so much for clarifying Raju. Yeah I’ll get a subwoofer in sometime.. is it enough with height channel as well?(all 7 channel driven)
I have never connected heights ... but I was thinking to connect ... I have floor standing speakers they take more power compared to bookshelfs coz they give some base frequency too.. with an active sub. And by passing frequencies may be less than 80 to that... we can connect heights too.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back