Need info regarding Sony CX420 LCD

keerthi_13

Hi..
Im planning o buy sony 32" CX420 LCD TV..Need some info reg this..

1. Will it play .mkv and .avi file formats?
2. Will it be able to play from extrenal hard drive (FAT 32) ?

Thank you,
Keerthi..

Last edited:
The CX420 the X-reality processor ,it also doesn't support formats other then MPEG1,2 and AVHCD.

The CX520 however has the X-reality and it plays AVI,DIVX files,mpeg1,2,4.
None of the Sony lcds as of today support MKV format and NTFS partition.

^^ yes that is very true....reads my 250gb ntfs external drive very well ! .mkv hd videos exceeding 8-9gb is supported,tried personally,so 'm sure!

Well another member tried these demo 50mb to 70mb 1080p MKV videos from here it didn't play .Can you check it out.
Index of /mkv/1080p
1080p Test MKV examples (from Birds scene Earth movie) - Plex Forums

ok,i can try that out, but will take time....i have alredy so much n my leeching list already :p

Some .mkv's files may NOT play/play properly,but mostly they play!
i have got aprox 40% of Hd collection in .mkvs...amongst them majority plays perfectly...some do create errors/artifacts & r problem to watch though they do continue to play,but u wont feel like playing them! i have NOT found any pattern which .mkv videos gets affected...but most wiling to search that!

whoever,as for me, the major major gripe is that the tv does NOT display any subtitles in any format(been using various subtitles formats with various video formats with proper naming norms,so there surely no problem at my end)...i really fail to understand the logic of sony...if u indeed supporting all these (so called pirate)video formats after all,why r u not supporting any of the subtitle formats that goes along with them?

Another big disappointment is Dts audio stream is Not supported,so u will not get any audio while playing videos with DTS!..& that's a big let down too

...hope sony really does something to read subtitles & Dts in the next future f/w upgrade,particularly when the competitors r doing them so well!!!
*(Anyway,i will mail sony on these & other issues[i'm still in problem hunt mode a the tv is relative new], & try to get the official position on these,& the roadplan of future f/w rollouts with resolution to the issues)

** u can check in the details about usb playback page on the Manual of 32CX420 as been posted here by me in the other post here >>> http://www.hifivision.com/television/17127-need-info-regarding-sony-32-cx420.html#post239844

Think,this may answer some questions! :)

The CX420 the X-reality processor ,it also doesn't support formats other then MPEG1,2 and AVHCD.

The CX520 however has the X-reality and it plays AVI,DIVX files,mpeg1,2,4.
None of the Sony lcds as of today support MKV format and NTFS partition.

This is correct as per my experience with my cx520

I too own a 32cx520 with 2011_3235 firmware. It doesnt even detects my 500 Gb external Hdd neither plays most of the videos such as mkv few avi's mpeg even when mpeg1 and 2 is officially supported by it...... Strange...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back