Need information on placement of surround speakers

AMITNOIDA

I am in the process of setting up my movie set-up in my bed-room. Don't have any dedicated room for it, so planned to use the bed room. AVR has been purchased (Marantz SR6004), Front & centre speakers are going to be finalised (most probably MA BX2). Now need some basic input on surround speakers.

small bookshelf or bipolar monitor? which is better?
what's the right placement (height from the floor, whether on rear wall or side wall)?

In my setup our sitting position is very close to rear wall and the surround speakers can only be mounted on the rear wall (side wall has door and wardrobe) and that too at a height of 7-7.5 ft above ground. Will a bipolar be suitable and What should be the mounting?

My rear wall is about 14 ft wide. Somebody suggested to mount the surround speakers 3 ft from the side walls so that around 8 ft will be their inter-distance. Is it ok?

Need your suggestion and help.

For the surround speakers, a good height to keep them will be between 6 to 9 feet which is close to what THX recommendations are.

Regarding, whether you want bipolar or bookshelves, google for the differences and check what you want. Bipolars will give you better soundstage while monitors/ bookshelves will be give unidirectional sound but more accurate.

In any case, if you are going for a 5.1 you would have to mark them as surround speakers rather than back (irrespective of where you actually place them).

Personally, I think bipolars make better sense in a 5.1 and bookshelves or monopoles would be good for the final two in a 7.1.

Bipolars would be less fussy when it comes to placement. You can mount it at 7ft height on your great wall.

@Sud98
Thanks for reply.
The height of my surround speakers of around 7-7.5 ft above ground level is in the range of THX recommendations. I am relieved.

Bipolars would be less fussy when it comes to placement. You can mount it at 7ft height on your great wall.

Thanks Iaudio. I need a less fussy solution. Bipolars seems to be of better option in my compromised room. Can the bipolars be placed midway in the side wall around 3.5 ft front of the viewing position?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back