Need opinion on Q acoustics 3010i in 2.0/2.1 setup

Galaxian

I am planning to buy a set of bookshelf speakers to be used in a 2.0 setup for now and will never go beyond 2.1. After reading a lot about them here, I shortlisted 3010i based on the following criteria.

- Their usage is purely/only for music
- Good reviews about how they sound
- Their form factor (size is a constraint). Even 3020i is big for where I will be keeping them.
- The look fabulous in Arctic White ( My wife's strict criteria ;) )

Now the issues:
- I am not sure they will be sufficient for about 300-400 sqft rectangular room. Has anyone auditioned them in that or bigger area (with 2.0 setup).
- I am not able to find a stereo amplifier (from known brands) that is made just for 2.0/2.1 setups. I mean, why would I need an AV R with 5.1/7.1 channels with HDMIs and all that stuff when I am just going to use only upto 2.1 channels ever. Space is a constraint and ofcourse with all those channels and hdmi ports etc they get expensive.

Any suggestions and advice will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

- I am not sure they will be sufficient for about 300-400 sqft rectangular room. Has anyone auditioned them in that or bigger area (with 2.0 setup).
- I am not able to find a stereo amplifier (from known brands) that is made just for 2.0/2.1 setups.
For the given room size and 2.0 stereo usage, you may need to go for FS speakers ideally. If budget is a constraint, try to stretch and get 3030i at least.

You need to go thru a few threads (example) and read up on stereo amps/receivers like Yamaha R-N602, Denon DRA 800H etc. Hit the "What should I buy?" forum as a starting point. Check out integrated amplifiers. You will get more specific responses if you mention the budget.

Last edited:
Post a few pics of the listening space and where the speakers are likely to be positioned.
Also an indication of budget would help FMs suggest options.
Any 2.0 stereo can be converted to 2.1with a sub having speaker level input

Cheers,
Raghu

I am planning to buy a set of bookshelf speakers to be used in a 2.0 setup for now and will never go beyond 2.1. After reading a lot about them here, I shortlisted 3010i based on the following criteria.

- Their form factor (size is a constraint). Even 3020i is big for where I will be keeping them.

Now the issues:
- I am not able to find a stereo amplifier (from known brands) that is made just for 2.0/2.1 setups. I mean, why would I need an AV R with 5.1/7.1 channels with HDMIs and all that stuff when I am just going to use only upto 2.1 channels ever. Space is a constraint and ofcourse with all those channels and hdmi ports etc they get expensive.

Thanks

Considering your criteria, Why not look for really good active speakers? some thing like Klipsch R-41PM / R-51PM, it has really good input connection options (RCA+AUX+Optical+USB+Bluetooth), subwoofer out in case you plan to add additional subwoofer later.

These speakers are really good to fill the room with really good SQ for Music & TV viewing too, eliminating the hassel for additional amplifier & ease of use for others too.

Cheers,
:cool:

Now the issues:

Thanks
Consider JBL stage a130 and Yamaha stereo amplifier.

If you are going for seperate I suggest Marantz pm 6006 amp and QA 3020i. Fantastic combo.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Interestingly Klipsch R-41PM and 3020i (suggested above) were also in my shortlist. My budget is max 30k for speakers [Excluding Amp]. Klipsch is definitely out of question as they are expensive (correct me if I am wrong). I shall post the picture of location where they will be placed. That place is near a L shaped wall, on a table. There will not be much gap between the rear bass port and the wall, so a bigger low frequency driver will cause more harm then any good. Atleast 3010i with damper inserted may be just fine.

As I said, there is a scope of a woofer near future. How would a [3010i + Sub] sound?

<snip>
I shall post the picture of location where they will be placed. That place is near a L shaped wall, on a table. There will not be much gap between the rear bass port and the wall, so a bigger low frequency driver will cause more harm then any good. Atleast 3010i with damper inserted may be just fine.
<snip>
So the 300-400 sft is the combined area of the L-shaped space?
Cheers,
Raghu

My budget is max 30k for speakers [Excluding Amp]. Klipsch is definitely out of question as they are expensive (correct me if I am wrong).
If i'm not wrong you can get Klipsch R-41PM for 41k & Klipsch R-51PM for 51k, but note this is full package you don't need to spend on anything else. I would suggest go for Klipsch R-51PM, Give a call to Cinebels Lavelle Road/Millers Road visit them & audition it.

If you go the other route of BS + Stereo Amp, you will be spending 30k + 15-40k = Total 45k-70k max, audition the setup & see which suits your pocket & listing taste.

As I said, there is a scope of a woofer near future. How would a [3010i + Sub] sound?
If you go with 3010i, then i believe you will definitely need to add sub to get those Low freqn.

Cheers,

So the 300-400 sft is the combined area of the L-shaped space?
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, but the lower arm of L is less than 1/4th of total area and there will be no wall obstruction to any corner of L. That's why I wrote rectangular in my first post. The "L" I mentioned was for the wall shape against which a table will be placed, for the speakers. Imagine it as a table placed in a corner and with wall on the back side and left side and then rest of the room in front.

Yes, but the lower arm of L is less than 1/4th of total area and there will be no wall obstruction to any corner of L. That's why I wrote rectangular in my first post. The "L" I mentioned was for the wall shape against which a table will be placed, for the speakers. Imagine it as a table placed in a corner and with wall on the back side and left side and then rest of the room in front.
Yeah. A few pics will help in identifying most issues related to undesirable reflections.
Cheers,
Raghu

If i'm not wrong you can get Klipsch R-41PM for 41k & Klipsch R-51PM for 51k, but note this is full package you don't need to spend on anything else. I would suggest go for Klipsch R-51PM, Give a call to Cinebels Lavelle Road/Millers Road visit them & audition it.

If you go the other route of BS + Stereo Amp, you will be spending 30k + 15-40k = Total 45k-70k max, audition the setup & see which suits your pocket & listing taste.

If you go with 3010i, then i believe you will definitely need to add sub to get those Low freqn.

Cheers,
I will definitely keep Klipsch R-41PM in my mind. I am inclined towards [3010i + sub] because it is closest to my criteria i.e. small shelf presence. There is enough room for sub though.

Any recommendation for places in Bangalore, where I can audition Klipsch R-41PM and 3010i/3020i.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back