Need recommendation for Yamaha AVR

sarangd22

Hello experts,

Can you please recommend any yamaha AVR in the price range of around 30K (bit flexible on the price) and available in india. I saw 73 series and 75 series but many options there and reviews differ. I would want recent models as technolgy keeps upgrading all the time and I expect my new AVR to keep up with it for near future at least. I also see Sony STR - DN 1030/1040 getting good reviews though dont know how they compete against Yamaha.

Any BS speakers recommendations to go with the respective AVR? I am more of music fan than moview watcher, so is subwoofer really needed?

Thanks.

Hello experts,

Can you please recommend any yamaha AVR in the price range of around 30K (bit flexible on the price) and available in india. I saw 73 series and 75 series but many options there and reviews differ. I would want recent models as technolgy keeps upgrading all the time and I expect my new AVR to keep up with it for near future at least. I also see Sony STR - DN 1030/1040 getting good reviews though dont know how they compete against Yamaha.

Any BS speakers recommendations to go with the respective AVR? I am more of music fan than moview watcher, so is subwoofer really needed?

Thanks.

If your primary purpose is to go for Music, get an integrated amplifier from Yamaha or NAD or Marantz. In case you want to go for both music and movies (though you want to use it more for music), AV receiver is the best deal. Many audiophiles may not agree with using AV receiver for music, but AV receiver gets you the right value for the money you pay by getting both music and movie in one single box at an affordable price.

You can stick with Yamaha rather than with Sony. For features , i would personally look for a solid build receiver more than having rich features. Most of the times, you will end up not using those features. If you look at 73 series and 75 series from Yamaha, there should be no difference in sound quality. There will be some small delta features added between 73 and 75 series. Otherwise, there is absolutely no difference between 73 series and 75 series. Also, 73 series is last years model and it may sell cheaper compared to 75 series. If so, you can buy a 73 series model. Still if you are not convinced, I suggest you to go through the differences between 73 and 75 at Yamaha website and see if there are any compelling features that you want are still missing in 73 series. If not, you can very well get from 73 series.

For the budget you have specified, you have RX-V473 or RX-v475. I am not sure if all 75 series models are available in India.

Regarding the subwoofer for music, there is a debate on that. So you might hear different opinion. In my opinion, if you are going for small book shelf or satellite speakers, then subwoofer will add some punch to the sound. A purist will not like the idea of connecting a subwoofer for music, but rest of the normal guys may like adding subwoofer. Even then, watching movies with subwoofer is the right thing. For speakers, what is your budget ?

NOTE: By the way, I am not an expert or a purist in any way, I just enjoy good music coming from any system.

Last edited:
Thank you for quick reply. Appreciated that. Yes, its Yamaha 473 that I is also on my mind. I am not sure how much decent BS speakers and subwoofer would cost. Probably I would need front speaker as well. I am looking for the best possible sound within an average budget.. So depending on how much it would cost, my budget (though limited!) would vary :).

Thanks.

After listening and analyzing 473 and 475, i settled for 473. 475 brings MHL and extra HDMI which in my mind was not useful for me. They are good for movies and okay for music.

1) Research for the prices. Difference is substantial.Will save a lot.
2) For music, a subwoofer is not required unless you buy those tiny HT speakers. Go for a solid pair of BS or better, a pair of floor standers. Afterwards build complete HT when you are ready for it.

Hi vnmathur, even i was planning to buy yamaha rx-473. can you answer few questions for me:
1. what is the max size of hard disk that you can connect to the usb port of it? i mean does it read a 2 TB portable harddisk?
2. does it read good quality movies from USB port? i mean does it decode blu ray rips as good as from blu ray player will do?
3. can i browse from the hard disk on screen?
4. is it good for 50 % music and 50% movies? i like music more that movies ..so will 473 have any issues here?

Hi vnmathur, even i was planning to buy yamaha rx-473. can you answer few questions for me:
1. what is the max size of hard disk that you can connect to the usb port of it? i mean does it read a 2 TB portable harddisk?
2. does it read good quality movies from USB port? i mean does it decode blu ray rips as good as from blu ray player will do?
4. is it good for 50 % music and 50% movies? i like music more that movies ..so will 473 have any issues here?

Yamaha 473 is a choice....I am owing it for a year now and just loving it. Now about your questions
1. The answer is no. You can't connect HDD directly to the AVR. It is just for ipod, phone, ipad connectivity.
2. Also no. You need a good Media player, HTPC or a blu ray player for the same.
3. No once again.
4. For both music and movies Yamaha is a good choice....

Yamaha 473 is a choice....I am owing it for a year now and just loving it. Now about your questions

4. For both music and movies Yamaha is a good choice....

Is it? Some of threads in this forum say's yamaha is good (read "more") for movies than music. Or am i wrong?

thank you for the quick response. I was searching for such a feature , because that will reduce the cost of buying a seperate player..
the feature is not possible with any other avr's if you know?

Yamaha receiver is a good all rounder. From my experience, I find Yamaha receiver sound (for music) to be on the brighter side. At the same time, I have seen the Yamaha receivers to be the best in class when it comes to surround processing for multi-channel programs. It has an immersive surround field. I guess they have got the best out of the DSP.

Thank you for quick reply. Appreciated that. Yes, its Yamaha 473 that I is also on my mind. I am not sure how much decent BS speakers and subwoofer would cost. Probably I would need front speaker as well. I am looking for the best possible sound within an average budget.. So depending on how much it would cost, my budget (though limited!) would vary :).

Thanks.

If you are not looking for Airplay in 473, RX-V375 is also a good model to consider. It has discrete amp configuration which was missing in 373.

Hi Anand23, most of your queries have been answered. I'll only add that I play music files from a 4GB USB regularly through my AVR. You can see the contents on the screen as well. But you can't play any video file through the USB port of the Yamaha. Performance of the AVR both for music & movies, is quite satisfactory.---vnmathur

Hi Anand23, most of your queries have been answered. I'll only add that I play music files from a 4GB USB regularly through my AVR. You can see the contents on the screen as well. But you can't play any video file through the USB port of the Yamaha. Performance of the AVR both for music & movies, is quite satisfactory.---vnmathur

Mathur Sir, i see that you are using Sonodyne speakers:) How do they perform with RX-V-473? i am looking for same package yet to Demo them but how are they for movies and music?

I have the complete 5.1 of Sonodyne and they match perfectly with Yamaha, both for music and movies. Thursday night I was watching ` This is It' of MJ on Movies Now. It was pure bliss. However, instead of 2504 Fronts which I have got, go for 2605. They are even better. Though I auditioned 2605, I had to go for the lower model because 2605 height was fowling with my cabinet setup.

I have the complete 5.1 of Sonodyne and they match perfectly with Yamaha, both for music and movies. Thursday night I was watching ` This is It' of MJ on Movies Now. It was pure bliss. However, instead of 2504 Fronts which I have got, go for 2605. They are even better. Though I auditioned 2605, I had to go for the lower model because 2605 height was fowling with my cabinet setup.
thanks for the info... even i was eyeing 2605. Builder is yet to handover the villa ,so once done and based on the money left, i will plan the HT build...

I am using the rx 473 with monitor audio and an astonia sub. As for the sub I just feel the need really in a couple of adventure or sci-fi movies. For music the sound is very balanced in all ranges. For music only I was using the fs with a nad and I felt the detailing to be a bit rounded off... 473 ironed that out but not to a level the tp20 could... but im content with this sound signature. Bass is tight and exciting even when listening to electronic music as are the highs. Is a good harmony.

tapped on Note II cdma

new here, but purchased rx v473 with ns-8390 FS speakers, sw215 woofer ( recommended by many forum members) . very good setup, using only "straight" mode. Low frequencies are mind blowing, for HF, u will hv to use extra tweeters, can play USB (music), 475 hv only 2 more channels, which are, in my opinion, useless., powerwise, 475 hv higher numbers, but u cant feel any diff while listening.

regards
-aditya

guys one more question..i was checking out the specs of yamaha htib yht299... the specs of yamaha rx-373 or rx375 looks almost same with the htib's reciever... can some one tell me any specific difference between these systems...
i have a pair of wharfe 9.5 floor standers ..looking to build a HT around these as mentioned earlier...
i have two options :
1. Yamaha YHT299 HTiB -- 36.7 k
2. Yamaha rx 375 --26.2 K + Yamaha NSP40 center +surround --12.3 k = 38.5 k

pro's of option 1.: extra sub woofer and front speakers and i would as well save 2 k

con's : you guys should tell me..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back