Need subwoofer recommendation for 50%music + 50%HT, with speaker level inputs

spaace

Hi,

I need some help locating some good subwoofers (other than REL if possible, since they are expensive)

My criteria

1. Extends below 20Hz
  2. Has speaker level + LFE (line) + XLR inputs
  3. Is sealed (fast and not booming for music?)
  4. Has enough power to pressure a 155 sqft small room (1240 cubic feet)
  5. Has phase + low pass and such minimum required controls
  6. Budget max stretchable 70k

Currently i am looking at SVS SB 1000 as a possible candidate. My only concern is that it only goes down to 24Hz and that its bigger brother SB 2000, which was auto recommended for me by the SVS auto recommendation tool, seems more powerful without being too much more expensive. Unfortunately it / others in that line does not have the speaker level inputs (except maybe for PB 1000 which is not sealed)

Since i do not have a receiver and am currently making do with an Integrated amp which luckily has an LFE input, i might be able to use the SB 2000. But I wanted to retain the freedom of moving up to a better amp if possible without spending for an AVR which could go outdated. In this case SB 2000 will stop working for me or i might have to restrict my usage only to amps with an LFE (line) output which seems restrictive. This was why i was looking for speaker line inputs.

HSU seems an option but i saw some threads here, where the company just flat refused to do anything about it. Plus i would need to import it myself

I do not know if Rhythmik or Velodyne has matching speakers, iam still searching. Thought i would ask in here for a fast suggestion.

Thanks
Arun

Last edited:
Rythmik L12 sealed subwoofer one of the best best for Music, equally great for movies too..available with ProSonics, can contact Santosh 9341112580. Priced MRP Rs.69300/-

Driver 12" high excursion with custom sensing coil
Driver materials paper cone with lightweight rubbersurround
Copper flux de-modulation shorting rings
Amplifier 300WRMS class D (dual Hypex Ucd modules) patented servo controlled
Dimensions 14"(W) x 14" (H )x 15-1/2" (D) with grille and amplifier knobs
Shipping Weight 58 lbs
Frequency Response 18 - 100 Hz (-3 dB @ 18Hz, -6db@12hz) LINE-IN, 18-200hz LFE IN
12 - 120 Hz (+/-3db) LINE-IN, 12-250hz LFE IN
Crossover slope Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave
Crossover range (Low pass) 30 - 120 Hz
Rumble Filter (High pass ) 20 Hz 18 dB / octave
Phase response 110 degrees phase shift at 20 Hz with LOW MUSIC mode
Phase adjustment 0 - 180 degrees continuously variable
Bass damping factor Low music (Q=0.5), Low-HT(Q=0.9), and high (Q=0.8)
Standy power 7W (standby, red light), 13W(ON,green light)
Finishes Available in black matte vinyl or black oak vinyl

I have been using a a Pair of Rythmik F15HP since a couple of years. primarily music and occasional movies .
You cant go wrong with them

look at the cheaper Rythmik alternatives to meet your requirements

@ spaace

Humans are capable to hear between 20hz -20khz.....anything below and above that is heard by certain birds / animals / creatures....

A sub which can deliver 22hz or even 24hz is more than enough

I believe a forum member is looking to sell his Rhythm sub...15 inch...sparingly used,,,,

Hey, I am looking for a sub that will blend well with polk audio rti a7. I use marantz pre-pro AV7701 and a 6 channel amplifier. Suggestions welcome.

+1 to the Rythmik/SVS. And yes I checked with HSU as well, they do not ship internationally nor have any distributors.
Seems for now your use is Music only. So sealed is a good choice.
But as you're planning to go AVR route in future and so if you plan to watch movies as well - do consider Ported (big in size so if you could accomodate them) for the output.
Rythmik with their servo design are considered good for Music as well. Do google and check.

@ spaace

Humans are capable to hear between 20hz -20khz.....anything below and above that is heard by certain birds / animals / creatures....

A sub which can deliver 22hz or even 24hz is more than enough

I believe a forum member is looking to sell his Rhythm sub...15 inch...sparingly used,,,,

It can be felt ;)

Genelec 7050b for this room size.
Has xlr inputs outputs.
Not at all boomy.
Its servo controlled.
U might need to stretch your budget a little bit.

Hi,

I need some help locating some good subwoofers (other than REL if possible, since they are expensive)

My criteria

1. Extends below 20Hz
  2. Has speaker level + LFE (line) + XLR inputs
  3. Is sealed (fast and not booming for music?)
  4. Has enough power to pressure a 155 sqft small room (1240 cubic feet)
  5. Has phase + low pass and such minimum required controls
  6. Budget max stretchable 70k

Currently i am looking at SVS SB 1000 as a possible candidate. My only concern is that it only goes down to 24Hz and that its bigger brother SB 2000, which was auto recommended for me by the SVS auto recommendation tool, seems more powerful without being too much more expensive. Unfortunately it / others in that line does not have the speaker level inputs (except maybe for PB 1000 which is not sealed)

Since i do not have a receiver and am currently making do with an Integrated amp which luckily has an LFE input, i might be able to use the SB 2000. But I wanted to retain the freedom of moving up to a better amp if possible without spending for an AVR which could go outdated. In this case SB 2000 will stop working for me or i might have to restrict my usage only to amps with an LFE (line) output which seems restrictive. This was why i was looking for speaker line inputs.

HSU seems an option but i saw some threads here, where the company just flat refused to do anything about it. Plus i would need to import it myself

I do not know if Rhythmik or Velodyne has matching speakers, iam still searching. Thought i would ask in here for a fast suggestion.

Thanks
Arun

instead of i big subwoofer - look at 2 small sealed subwoofers..

dont get swayed by this 20 Hz or 24 Hz thing..these are mostly room supported.

Less bass is OK but excess bass can kill the music and be careful of that.

The purpose of the sub is to pad up the lower base by a little but so the music sounds a touch fuller. For this you do not need 20 Hz or 15 Hz or things like that..

Start with this :-

a. Post a pic of your current setup ( so we can see your room )

b. optimise your listening position in relation to the speakers so you get the most out of the music being played in 2.0 stereo

c. Dont go with the preconceived notion that KEF LS50 is short on bass.. If your room and positioning is correct than a 155 sq ft room might not need a sub or get away with 1 small sealed sub..

Check out the REL T-0

try for a home audition

REL subs are good and a good investment if you like to go for 2.1 or 2.2 setup

Note : I do run a 2.1 setup for music with a sealed subwoofer.

regards

instead of i big subwoofer - look at 2 small sealed subwoofers..

dont get swayed by this 20 Hz or 24 Hz thing..these are mostly room supported.

Less bass is OK but excess bass can kill the music and be careful of that.

The purpose of the sub is to pad up the lower base by a little but so the music sounds a touch fuller. For this you do not need 20 Hz or 15 Hz or things like that..

Start with this :-

a. Post a pic of your current setup ( so we can see your room )

b. optimise your listening position in relation to the speakers so you get the most out of the music being played in 2.0 stereo

c. Dont go with the preconceived notion that KEF LS50 is short on bass.. If your room and positioning is correct than a 155 sq ft room might not need a sub or get away with 1 small sealed sub..

Check out the REL T-0

try for a home audition

REL subs are good and a good investment if you like to go for 2.1 or 2.2 setup

Note : I do run a 2.1 setup for music with a sealed subwoofer.

regards

Two subs make phase alignment between them difficult. One big will be better.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back