Need suggestions buying center channel speaker

Abhishek_

Hello everyone,

i am want to buy a center channel speaker for my setup & am looking forward to suggestions from the forum members.
My current setup chain : Marantz 1509 receiver --> XLS 1502 Crown Power amp --> ELAC Uni-Fi Slim BSU5 Bookshelf pair.
The listening area is approx. 16 x 12 feet. Sources being TV and Nvidia shield.
I am considering the ELAC center channel speaker UC51 from the same series with following specs.
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω

i am inclined towards this speaker as it matches my current speaker setup, i may change the AV receiver later for something with 5.1 pre-outs and then add rear channels, but not in the near future.
Marantz 1509 receiver is capable of handling 4Ω speakers, rated at power output of 85W (6 Ω,1ch drive). No other preouts are available on this receiver, option of power amp for center channel does not exist.

1) My dilemma is will this receivers power output (85W, 6 Ω,1ch drive) be sufficient to drive ELAC UC51, given that no other speaker is being driven by the receivers amplifier. The stereo speakers are connected to power amp via preouts on the receiver. Will the center channel overwhelm the stereo channels if i use some easier to drive speakers with lower power handling. Will Audyssey calibration help in this case.

2) Should i look for some other speaker, local dealer suggested me Polk Audio S35 center channel (20 - 150W, 8 ohm, 88dB sensitivity, 29K MRP) as an alternative. I am also looking for cheaper options as low as 10 - 12K & change them later when i upgrade the AVR.

The forum members suggestions have been very helpful in putting up my current setup, looking forward to suggestions once again.

Thank You.

For better integration, I would always stick to a Center channel from the same brand and model line/series.
I have a similar condition, and have left Audyssey to take care of it and I don’t perceive any integration issues.

Hello everyone,

i am want to buy a center channel speaker for my setup & am looking forward to suggestions from the forum members.
My current setup chain : Marantz 1509 receiver --> XLS 1502 Crown Power amp --> ELAC Uni-Fi Slim BSU5 Bookshelf pair.
The listening area is approx. 16 x 12 feet. Sources being TV and Nvidia shield.
I am considering the ELAC center channel speaker UC51 from the same series with following specs.
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω

i am inclined towards this speaker as it matches my current speaker setup, i may change the AV receiver later for something with 5.1 pre-outs and then add rear channels, but not in the near future.
Marantz 1509 receiver is capable of handling 4Ω speakers, rated at power output of 85W (6 Ω,1ch drive). No other preouts are available on this receiver, option of power amp for center channel does not exist.

1) My dilemma is will this receivers power output (85W, 6 Ω,1ch drive) be sufficient to drive ELAC UC51, given that no other speaker is being driven by the receivers amplifier. The stereo speakers are connected to power amp via preouts on the receiver. Will the center channel overwhelm the stereo channels if i use some easier to drive speakers with lower power handling. Will Audyssey calibration help in this case.

2) Should i look for some other speaker, local dealer suggested me Polk Audio S35 center channel (20 - 150W, 8 ohm, 88dB sensitivity, 29K MRP) as an alternative. I am also looking for cheaper options as low as 10 - 12K & change them later when i upgrade the AVR.

The forum members suggestions have been very helpful in putting up my current setup, looking forward to suggestions once again.

Thank You.

1. 85db , 4ohms. The receiver will struggle. Considering that when you add a center channel, it takes the bulk of what's happening on screen. So you need the most capable speaker and an amp that can make it sing. Elac will not be pushed to sing with this receiver.

2. Yes Polk is a better option in my opinion. Also keep an eye for polk CSI 6. That's one bad ass center channel. Alternatively look for an efficient speaker. Do not go for small tiny wannabe center channel speakers.

Question is, do you really need a center? Do you. Have listening position which are at odd corners?

MaSh

Hi,
Do you have a sub in your system. If yes, unless you would be listening at reference volume, you should be good to go with same elac.

Even then, Since you already have same bookshelf, use it directly with your avr instead of your crown amp and see how it goes. Start with a lower volume and increase it to your listening volume.

Cheers

Question is, do you really need a center? Do you. Have listening position which are at odd corners?

MaSh

I tried playing with the tone and gain settings in the receiver, there has been a difference and vocals have come up. Though i still feel vocals need to be more clear, perhaps i will try the manual equalizer. The speakers are not at odd corners i believe, still will try repositioning. Thanks for your input once again..

Hi,
Do you have a sub in your system. If yes, unless you would be listening at reference volume, you should be good to go with same elac.

Even then, Since you already have same bookshelf, use it directly with your avr instead of your crown amp and see how it goes. Start with a lower volume and increase it to your listening volume.

Cheers

i don not have a sub in the system, the base in these speakers is very good. I do not listen at high volumes and i need to augment the vocals a tad more. The speakers without the poweramp are a bit sleepy. Thanks for the input..

I tried playing with the tone and gain settings in the receiver, there has been a difference and vocals have come up. Though i still feel vocals need to be more clear, perhaps i will try the manual equalizer. The speakers are not at odd corners i believe, still will try repositioning. Thanks for your input once again..

i don not have a sub in the system, the base in these speakers is very good. I do not listen at high volumes and i need to augment the vocals a tad more. The speakers without the poweramp are a bit sleepy. Thanks for the input..

Try adding a sub and cross the speakers higher. That will improve the mids and highs on the speakers.

Also, center is needed if Seating Positions are at extreme corners, not speakers.

MaSh

@MaSh
By adding a sub, i understand that it will offload the base from stereo channels and other components of the sound will be better appreciated from them. In the meanwhile i am trying adjusting the settings if something improves.
Any decent suggestions for a powered sub are welcome.
The seating is in front of the speakers so should not be an issue.

On another note, i would like to share that ELAC distributor already knew my requirement and perhaps my location even before i put an query with an online vendor. Thanks to hifivision the news spreads very fast..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back