Need suggestions for a HT Setup (Not a dedicated room)

rite2sandeep

Hi guys,

I have been following this forum for more than a month now, started when I was doing R&D on plasma's and finally decided to buy a projector instead of a TV.

I will be moving to my new home in two months from now, planning interior wood work etc, and wanted to know if some of you can help me setting up my HT room (will also be my bedroom).

Attaching a picture of the room, for your reference.

attachment.php

I am planning to project on the wall shown in the picture.
The room is 10 ft x 17 ft, and exactly on the opposite side of this wall, I will have wardrobes done, also have windows on both other sides, I will somehow
control the light.

My questions

1) The wall is 10 ft x 10 ft, but as you can see have the door coming in between.

What is the screen size you recommend, I want to have the biggest
possible for a viewing distance of around 12 feet, budget is 20k.

Don't want to spend on unnecessary stuff like motor type, remote type
etc. Manual pull down is fine.

Any DIY which will be at par with professional screens like elite, grandview
etc ?

Also, since I will have wardrobes on the opposite side, and a fan on top
, can I have the projector on one side of the room and 12 feet away,
and bank on lens shift etc of the projector like Epson 8100 ?

2) Any suggestions for projectors ?

I am closely following all posts of this forum. This will be primarily for
watching movies (1080p BR Rips mostly), and weekend use mostly,
so may be ~10 hours a week. Budget under 2 lakhs.

I am not an audiophile, and do not need HiFi sound etc, already have a
mini HTPC (Raspberry Pi model B running XBMC via openelec), connected to
my SONY HT system (5.1, it has got an amplifier built-in) and am happy
with the sound from this, so not planning for another receiver etc, only a
Projector which will take HDMI from my Raspberry Pi.

My only worry is the lamp life of DLP/LCD projectors, and so thinking
if it is worth waiting for lamp free projectors like Panasonic PT-RZ470

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6zPz5exho

Attachments

• 20130915_160350.jpg
    20130915_160350.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I don't know much.. But I think the wall marked for wardrobe should be the wall for projection since that will have the least disturbance by other ppl walking in and out of rooms/bathroom etc.. Moreover If properly shielded the Windows and light leakage can be taken care of.. Just my opinion.. Hard core audiophiles might give a better insight.. Cheers

OK, thanks for your inputs Gautam & VJ.

I can only project on the wall mentioned because, this is NOT a dedicated room, will have to find a place for wardrobes, can't have them on the 'proposed' projected wall as it would block the path to the balcony, other two sides have windows and other obstructions.

OK, thanks for your inputs Gautam & VJ.

I can only project on the wall mentioned because, this is NOT a dedicated room, will have to find a place for wardrobes, can't have them on the 'proposed' projected wall as it would block the path to the balcony, other two sides have windows and other obstructions.

What is the dept of the wardrobe you're planning? As a challenge you can make a perfectly white finish wardrobe with a sliding or motorized projection screen.. That way your projection and wardrobe are on the same side.. Unless you wanna change clothes while watching a movie or watch a movie while packing for a trip you're not gonna use both at the same time.. On the other hand your family members might want to use the wardrobe while you're watching a movie.. But I think it's a cool idea..

Also, since I will have wardrobes on the opposite side, and a fan on top
, can I have the projector on one side of the room and 12 feet away,
and bank on lens shift etc of the projector like Epson 8100 ?

You will have to do some juggling with Ceiling Mount in terms of how low is Fan, the Lens Shift Feature in 8100 is the biggest advantage for vertical/horizontal adjustments. keeping Projector around 12 feet away will straight give you 9-10 feet projection (diagonal).

What is the dept of the wardrobe you're planning? As a challenge you can make a perfectly white finish wardrobe with a sliding or motorized projection screen.. That way your projection and wardrobe are on the same side.. Unless you wanna change clothes while watching a movie or watch a movie while packing for a trip you're not gonna use both at the same time.. On the other hand your family members might want to use the wardrobe while you're watching a movie.. But I think it's a cool idea..

Hmm, that's quite a challenge :D
I will have to think about the bed placing etc.
Thanks for the idea though !

You will have to do some juggling with Ceiling Mount in terms of how low is Fan, the Lens Shift Feature in 8100 is the biggest advantage for vertical/horizontal adjustments. keeping Projector around 12 feet away will straight give you 9-10 feet projection (diagonal).

Thanks Ankit.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back